What is the easiest way to transfer

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I just ordered parts to build my dad a new pc for his birthday. His performance needs arent very high, and I have a few spare parts laying around, so I am building an AMD Athlon II system.
Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G has integrated radeon 4250 graphics (ordered)
CPU: Athlon II X2 250 @3.0Ghz (already own)
RAM: 2 X 1 Gb Samsung DDR3, @1333Mhz (already own)
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (ordered)
CD/ROM: LG combo drive SATA (already own)
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply (ordered)

I have built a dozen or so computers over the years, so assembly shouldnt be a problem, and everything looks compatable to me, so first off, if I missed anything ..let me know. I may add an Nvidia 9600GT to this, and am a bit concerned as to whether or not the power supply is adequate. It puts out 28 amps on the 12volt rail, and I'm not sure what the card needs. It is an MSI factory overclocked model, not one of the low power ones that came out later. I have a brand new OCZ 550watt PSU laying around here if the other wont do it, but prefer not to use it.
The big question I really have is..What is the easiest way to tranfer all of his stuff from his old laptop to the pc am building? He is 78yrs old, not real computer literate, so I am going to install Win XP on the new system, so he wont have to adapt to a new OS. ( I have an available license for XP)
I would like to move everything, including settings, email, files, etc. so everything will look exactly like it is on his laptop. His laptop has XP home, the license I have is XP Pro..will this work, and what do I need to do the transfer the easiest, and preferably not to expensively...Thanks in advance for any answers