"Old-style" taskbar?

Hi.

Is there any way I can have the taskbar behave like it used
to do? I.e. I DON'T want grouping, and I DON'T want a new
taskbar when the first one is full (having to switch
between taskbars).
I just want one crowded taskbar. The less I have to click
in order to bring up the programs, the better.
18 answers Last reply
More about style taskbar

    Anon Y Mous wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Is there any way I can have the taskbar behave like it used
    > to do? I.e. I DON'T want grouping, and I DON'T want a new
    > taskbar when the first one is full (having to switch
    > between taskbars).
    > I just want one crowded taskbar. The less I have to click
    > in order to bring up the programs, the better.

    Right click the Taskbar and select Properties. Remove the check mark from
    the "Group similar taskbar buttons" option.
    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Thanks, but I still have "two" taskbars. When the first
    gets crowded, XP creates another taskbar and starts
    populating that. I have to scroll between the two. I just
    want *one* taskbar.

    > Thanks, but I still have "two" taskbars. When the first
    > gets crowded, XP creates another taskbar and starts
    > populating that. I have to scroll between the two. I just
    > want *one* taskbar.

    How many programs do you typically have open at the same time?

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:40:30 -0700,

    Two taskbars? Are you really talking about the taskbar? The only thing
    I can think of with the taskbar is that its height could be set to two
    rows. If you are actually referring to the Start Menu, where it
    creates a second column, that is customizable. Right-click on the
    taskbar or start menu, choose customize start menu, go to advanced,
    and check scroll programs.

    HTH

    ---Atreju---

    Thanks for replying.

    Right now, I have open 21 programs (which is quite normal
    for me; 2-3 chat windows, a mp3-player, a file manager, 2
    browser windows, one newsgroup-reader, email, a finance
    app, a mp3-database app, etc - call me a power-user...)
    It will only have 17 or so apps on the first taskbar, and
    to the very right, there's now a arrow up and an arrow
    down. I have to click arrow down, to get to the second
    taskbar. I want all 20 apps on ONE taskbar (like it used to
    be in Win2000 and the others).

    And to the previous poster: no, I'm not talking about
    start-menu.

    That is a bunch of programs. Youmust have plenty of RAM and a high end
    processor. :)

    It may be possible to resolve the problem by reducing the minimum width of
    the Taskbar minimized programs buttons. The default is "-2310". MVP Kelly
    has a utility that will reduce the minimum width to -285, which is
    considerably smaller. Go to her website at the following URL and scroll down
    to Line 97, left side. Click the link for "Decrease the size of Taskbar
    Buttons" to download the file. Double click the file to change the default
    setting, this will require a reboot. You will also want to download the
    "Undo" file on that same line which will revert the setting back to the
    default, if you do not like the results.

    Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Seems dumb...you obtain WINXP but then want it to look like a previous
    version.
    Duh...Okay

    --
    Russ

    "SignatureMan" <signaturemanme@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Seems dumb...you obtain WINXP but then want it to look like a previous
    > version.
    > Duh...Okay

    NTFS is more stable than FAT32. I've never gotten a "bluescreen of death"
    with XP.

    > --
    > Russ

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | Thanks for replying.
    |
    | Right now, I have open 21 programs (which is quite normal
    | for me; 2-3 chat windows, a mp3-player, a file manager, 2
    | browser windows, one newsgroup-reader, email, a finance
    | app, a mp3-database app, etc - call me a power-user...)
    | It will only have 17 or so apps on the first taskbar, and
    | to the very right, there's now a arrow up and an arrow
    | down. I have to click arrow down, to get to the second
    | taskbar. I want all 20 apps on ONE taskbar (like it used to
    | be in Win2000 and the others).
    |
    | And to the previous poster: no, I'm not talking about
    | start-menu.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/58825.asp

    MinWidth
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uKgqfE2oEHA.3488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > It may be possible to resolve the problem by reducing the minimum width of
    > the Taskbar minimized programs buttons. The default is "-2310". MVP Kelly
    > has a utility that will reduce the minimum width to -285, which is
    > considerably smaller. Go to her website at the following URL and scroll down
    > to Line 97, left side. Click the link for "Decrease the size of Taskbar
    > Buttons" to download the file. Double click the file to change the default
    > setting, this will require a reboot. You will also want to download the
    > "Undo" file on that same line which will revert the setting back to the
    > default, if you do not like the results.
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

    That tweak doesn't decreases the minimum width of the taskbar buttons.
    It decreases the initial width, without having any effect on the
    minimum width. Unfortunately! :)

    I don't know if this will help or not, but I've noticed that with the
    Windows XP theme my taskbar goes to a second line on the 21st button
    (buttons are 52 pixels left edge to next left edge), while with the
    Windows Classic theme my taskbar goes to a second line on the 27th
    button (buttons are 42 pixels left edge to next left edge).

    This difference is interesting... unless it is ALL explained by the
    extra pixels needed to draw XP-style rounded buttons instead of
    simple rectangular ones -- and noting that in the Classic theme the
    buttons are spaced 3 pixels apart instead of the single pixel spacing
    in the XP theme -- there must be a setting to control it *somewhere*.

    Any ideas?

    Also, does anyone know how to make the screen displayed during Alt+Tab
    switching show *all* running programs, rather than just 21 at a time?

    Thanks,

    SF
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks again, but this still does not solve my problem (as
    noted in the post by S Fisher). At least we're now talking
    about the same thing! :)

    I tired different values for this key, but nothing
    happened. As stated, this key does not change the minimum
    width.

    S Fisher also have an interesting point in why alt+tab only
    shows the 21 first apps, and not ALL.

    Any further ideas?

    P.S. As for my machine - without revealing too much I can
    definitely say that my RAM is maxed out all the time, and
    I'm still running 32-bit XP. :)

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > Thanks again, but this still does not solve my problem (as
    > noted in the post by S Fisher). At least we're now talking
    > about the same thing! :)
    >
    > I tired different values for this key, but nothing
    > happened. As stated, this key does not change the minimum
    > width.
    >
    > S Fisher also have an interesting point in why alt+tab only
    > shows the 21 first apps, and not ALL.
    >
    > Any further ideas?
    >
    > P.S. As for my machine - without revealing too much I can
    > definitely say that my RAM is maxed out all the time, and
    > I'm still running 32-bit XP. :)

    Sorry I couldn't help with this. Someone else here may have another idea.
    Good luck. :)
    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<OTEWXCPpEHA.2636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    > > Thanks again, but this still does not solve my problem (as
    > > noted in the post by S Fisher). At least we're now talking
    > > about the same thing! :)

    > Sorry I couldn't help with this. Someone else here may have another idea.
    > Good luck. :)

    Thanks anyway. :)
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    | Thanks again, but this still does not solve my problem (as
    | noted in the post by S Fisher). At least we're now talking
    | about the same thing! :)
    |
    | I tired different values for this key, but nothing
    | happened. As stated, this key does not change the minimum
    | width.

    Value must be in multiples of 15.

    | S Fisher also have an interesting point in why alt+tab only
    | shows the 21 first apps, and not ALL.

    Tweakui for XP
    General
    Alt+Tab

    If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    Note: V2.10.0.0 needs Windows XP SP 1

    If you do not have SP1, the earlier version of TweakUI can be found at
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "anonymouse" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<u4JIgmNpEHA.1712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...

    > | I tired different values for this key, but nothing
    > | happened. As stated, this key does not change the minimum
    > | width.
    >
    > Value must be in multiples of 15.

    Doesn't make a difference, but thanks anyway.

    > | S Fisher also have an interesting point in why alt+tab only
    > | shows the 21 first apps, and not ALL.
    >
    > Tweakui for XP
    > General
    > Alt+Tab

    Ahah! Thanks for the tip. :D

    I don't use TweakUI itself because historically the old TweakUIs
    untweaked too many of my manual tweaks and I'm not going to risk
    the resulting aggravation again, but that was enough to tell me
    where to look.

    If anyone else is allergic to TweakUI, the settings are under:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

    and they are

    CoolSwitchColumns (normally 7, I've used 10)
    CoolSwitchRows (normally 3, I've used 5)

    Log off and log back on for the change to take effect.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > Any further ideas?

    Are you using multiple monitors? If you do, get something like UltraMon.
    It can be set up to create a separate taskbar for every monitor, and only
    show on it the applications that are running on that particular monitor.

    I *think* the current Nvidia drivers also have this option built-in, if
    you're using one of their cards. I don't know about ATI.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > Seems dumb...you obtain WINXP but then want it to look like a previous
    > version.
    > Duh...Okay

    There's more to XP than the Fisher Price UI. I use XP on all my machines,
    and use Windows Classic on each one of them.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote
    | > Seems dumb...you obtain WINXP but then want it to look like a previous
    | > version.
    | > Duh...Okay
    |
    | There's more to XP than the Fisher Price UI. I use XP on all my machines,
    | and use Windows Classic on each one of them.

    Adding to that, the 64-bit version of XP has only "Windows Classic"
    - none of this "TeleTubbies-on-steroids" eye-candy for "home" users.

Configuration Taskbar Style Customization Windows XP