Sign in with
Your question

Another problem w/ new build

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2012 5:14:48 AM

So I had windows ultimate on my hard drive, I then built a new computer and used the same hard drive I had on my old computer. I then had to wipe it because startup wouldn't work because it was installed on a completely different motherboard. After wiping the hard drive w/ wipe drive six and beginning to install windows 7 I have hit a wall.

Its the part during windows installation where you select your drive to install windows on. My hard drive isn't showing up on the list (but it does show up on my bios).

The error message it gives is "No drives were found. Click load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation."

Before I wanted to bother people with a petty problem I did quite a bit of google research trying to find other people who had a similiar problem. I found some but everyone has slightly different versions and things that worked for them haven't seemed to work for me so far.

My components:

Hard drive: Seagate 500GB ST3500418AS SATA 3Gbs hard drive

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Things I have done to try and fix it:

1. Reset motherboard to default settings

2. Changed boot order on motherboard

3. Unpluged power and data cable from hard drive

Thank you so much for your time!

More about : problem build

February 12, 2012 4:59:52 PM

Remove the partions and reformat during the install process
m
l
February 12, 2012 5:49:41 PM

Forgot to add that the first time I tried to install windows my hard drive appeared during the first step. I tried to install to the hard drive but it said I couldn't because I had partitions. I then wiped the hard drive completely, and now it will not appear at all. Could I of wiped something necessary off the hard drive and now windows can't detect it? But my bios detects it... I don't get it
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2012 5:55:57 PM

No. when you go to load the OS from DVD it should show you the drive and give you and option to remove any partions and do either a full or quick reformat. Do you get that option? If yes then choose reformat (quik is fine) and then see if the OS installs.
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:01:36 PM

Yeah I agree that it should show me the drive. The problem is that it doesn't show me the drive. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're talking about. But during windows 7 installation it cannot find the drive, at all.
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:03:16 PM

in the advanced mode bios (if it's on the easy mode look for the exit/advanced mode in the top right) under the advanced tab > sata configuration you can set it to ide mode to see if it shows up in windows setup. if you are going to use raid or ahci you may need to install the drivers from your motherboard cd by using the 'click here to load mass storage driver for installation

m
l
February 12, 2012 8:39:43 PM

furry_roadkill said:
in the advanced mode bios (if it's on the easy mode look for the exit/advanced mode in the top right) under the advanced tab > sata configuration you can set it to ide mode to see if it shows up in windows setup. if you are going to use raid or ahci you may need to install the drivers from your motherboard cd by using the 'click here to load mass storage driver for installation

But the drivers Win7 needs to do the initial setup it has....hmmm..

The drive you are using is sata correct? it's plugged in and powered up? Check the connections. If the drive is not sata (ide) then that's a different issue.
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:56:18 PM

eh??? im not understanding. you can set a sata device to run ide mode (and i don't mean using an ide cable) in the bios and it shouldn't require any additional drivers for setup. if windows isn't seeing the drive in the setup, then he probably needs to install the driver for it (ahci or raid) before it shows up on the list. if it shows up in the bios, chances are its working fine.
m
l
February 12, 2012 9:09:57 PM

Its all connected, and like furry roadkill said it does show up in bios so my motherboard knows its there, but windows doesn't. The odd thing about it is that windows wanted me to remove partitions, so I wiped my hard drive completely and now it won't recognize it.

I tried switching it from ACHI to IDE and it still didn't see it during windows set up.

**Not sure how to do this part, so I tried something I thought might work**

Then I tried to browse for the driver during windows set up. I burned the drivers folder from my motherboard cd onto a usb and tried to use that and it didn't work. I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to technical problems like this. Thanks both of you for helping though.
m
l
February 13, 2012 3:24:30 AM

if im not mistaken that board has an intel and a marvell controller. make sure you selected the right one. there is a setting to disable the marvell controller too. make sure that you have the right controller enabled and set to ide mode (just to see if the drive shows up). Also, if you are loading the drivers for ahci or raid you need to make sure you are installing the right one
m
l
!