Extension Cord for computer

aminroy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
can a 'rolled extension power cord' can gives any electrical problem to computer?

cause i heard somebody said that it is not good for desktop computer devices since it is 'rooled'. n i bought one before. yet it burn just after i plugged it in on and switch it on.

■- 13A fuse is just fine. not melting
■- when i just switch the socket on i heard a moderately like my PC is running (fan noise something like that). but what da hulk, i don't even turn on my comp yet. plug it out. test on speaker just fine. plug it back with comp cord. then it gave a fast 'jumping electron' sound at the PSU connector. what da hulk 2, i plug it out (off) n test on my laptop adapter. nah. it not working anymore. test n test n test again.

it was tested just fine at the store prior buying. i bought the most expensive extension in the store (but without any surge protection system). yet.

n i think i pulled all the 7m length out from the roller. cause it just enough to reach my comp. so i don't think that is the problem. or can it be there is a wire loose in the extension socket?

randomkid

Distinguished
It depends on the size of the extension cord. If it is too thin then it might burn-out. But then again, you said you bought the most expensive extension cord so its probably not the wire. Perhaps it has loose connection on the plug & the sockets.

aminroy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
ya. 7m. need to pull from another socket outlet at the hall in my house. all the socket around my room is occupied with da hell power consumed devices. aircond, heater, kitchen, washing machine. i'm afraid they all shared power line in parallel inside the wall. since i think the apartment had a disappointment wiring management. the contractor might wanna save some money in wiring.

last week i lost my new 550W PSU might because of insufficient power. it nearly take out my whole mainboard too. until now my 3 weeks old i5 2400 gradually build an annoying whistling noise, n becaming louder by time. n yesterday my flash ROM went wrong when i cannot even enter the BIOS with the boot time at UEFI BIOS page prompt nearly took 8 minutes before suddenly boot normally. troubleshooted all the possible causes n reset CMOS at last. then it went fine.

aminroy

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
wau. that a he*l long reply. Relieved at last. from today i need to watch the house power management too dude whenever i build any voltage precision machines. n need to watch out the PSU too. experiences make a man a better dude.

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
im using one now about 2.5m and i have no problems, also i have my monitor surround sound and Xbox plunged in, i suppose it will have something to do with your pc power draw, mine will be quite low as i only have a 600w psu.