Sign in with
Your question

Amd radeon hd 6770m overheating psu 250 watts

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2012 8:17:13 AM

Hi, this is my first time askign a question and I really need your help, So i got a computer built and well my graphics card over heats, to about 80C or even up, im scared so I normally stop playing my games (Diablo and League of legends atm) So anyways I barely know anything about computers and well, here is my system:
Operationg system: Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor (2 CPUs), -3.2ghz
Ram - 4096MB
Graphics card - AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (6770)
My PSU is 250 Watts.
Alright so Ive pretty much checked the fans twice they run fine (assuming cuz they're spinning, yes im that dumb)
My current display is 1920 x 1080 32 bit 60Hz
LG E2241 Analog Monitor

I believe its my PSU, since I've asked around, but I wanted to make sure before I actualy went out and bought another PSU ( a cooler master 500 watts one probably)

I just wanted to know why it is overheatign so much and if tis normal, because yes it does crash a lot. It was made about on the August 16th 2011 last year so its definitly not old. Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much

a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 12:05:33 PM

What are you using to monitor your temps? What are the temps of the CPU, GPU, and case? Have you checked your system event log to get the error associated with the shutdown/reboots? If you have, then let us know the error codes. If not, then modify the restart behavior of your PC so you get the BSOD on error. Below are instruction on how to modify the restart behavior and check your system event log. In the event log you need to look for erros around the time that you experienced the shutdown/reboot.

Modify the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
- Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

This will let you get the BSOD when your computer reboots/shuts down. To check for errors on previous shut downs you can check the system event log:
- Click the Start button .
- In the Search box, type Event Viewer and hit enter
- In the list of results, double-click Event Viewer.

Edit: Have you noticed if your computer gets loud prior to shutdown? (i.e. fans starting to run really fast)
m
l
a c 1175 ) Power supply
a c 546 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
May 29, 2012 5:32:36 PM

Does your 250 Watt power supply have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 22 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector?

I would guess it doesn't.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 5:41:42 PM

And I'd guess the system error is Event ID 41. Sounds like his system is overheating and becomes unstable at high loads due to an underpowered PSU.
m
l
a c 1175 ) Power supply
a c 546 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
May 29, 2012 5:47:20 PM

Overloading a PSU will generate lots of heat.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 5:52:44 PM

Exactly...that's why I said overheating and unstable due to an underpowered PSU. Though it does make more better sense when you say 'overloading a PSU will generate lots of heat.' ;) 
m
l
!