Do I need a graphics card if not a gamer?

Lost_and_confused

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Here's the thing, I need a new box. Found someone to build it for me, for a fee... I can't do it.

Don't know much about this, only what I have picked up on the Web today, Please, someone help!

Going with either i5 2500K or i7 2600K. MB: Asus P8Z68-V LE. (Can't decide what I can afford).

(a) Here's the thing, the person that will build it for me insists that I need a graphics card (Saphire HD 6750 quoted) for best performance.

I will never play a game on this system (not even solitaire...) I will use is for Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Pro (20-30 sec), Cinema 4D (as the most demanding software).

- Do I need a designated graphics card for this or will the i5 and i7 GPU do the trick? If a card helps - how much?

(b) I have two Sata 3 WD Caviar Black. If placed on Sata 2, will the system recognize them as Sata 2 automatically/jumpers? The builder insist that they should be placed on Sata 3 (but I want to keep them for future SSDs)

Thanks for looking and for any pointers.

joerowland

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Most motherboards have built in graphics.

I think you could do with better advice from a pro though since I am new here.

To run the programmes you want I would suggest getting a graphics card but I am not sure which is best for what you want.... not much help am I lol.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
The mobo/cpu combos you listed will give you great onboard graphics for video stuff. No need for a graphics card.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2011/06/09/h67-p67-and-z68-which-one-is-right-for-you/

The SATA3 drives are backward compatible with SATA2 and plugging them in to an SATA3 will not make anything faster.