Another XP or Not

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
XP has been out for a while now, but is it all they said it would be? I still use Win98se, because it's best for gaming. I also have a printer, scanner, camera, a home network, and alot of games. How well do they install? 1.2.3 I also switch hardware, update often, and feel secure I could combine any commination of hardware with out any worries. Can the other OS do this?
With all things to concider.
To XP or not.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
check that your hardware is supported, also some older software may have probs, however, my scanner andprinter arnt "supported" but work fine with 2k drivers, I dualbooted 98/xp for a while as I, like you was concerened, I'm lucky as I got xp pro through work, anyway I dualbooted for a while and xp does all I need it to, so I binned 98 and used partition magic to resize my paritions, Im sure you well get a lot of opinions on xp, personally I think its ok.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I've heard a lot of BAD things happening with friends, games and windows XP, with many saying its very buggy. This included games locking up, binded keys becoming unbinded and low frame rates. Although on the other-side of the coin its very stable (some may say at a price).

In short win XP uses more reasourses so you need to be able to power it with the latest hardware, for example geforce 3 or radeon 8500, 512+mb ram, ahlon xp or P4 etc. Otherwise your probably in for a rough ride.

It doesnt seem to be able to play old games well either, but if your playing the newwst and latest games this should'nt be a problem.

Im going to wait untill the Second Edition comes out, as it always does eventualy.........

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
That sounds about right to me. There's a lot of trouble post on WinXP. I just play games and search the Internet and Win98se does that fine for me. It's not the most stable, but at least it's very forgiving.
I started this post, because I was wondering how people feel about WinXP. Since they had a chance to try it and there a lot of problems with it. I realize some people won't have a choice, but builders do. I mean is WinXP a gaming OS, even using the new games or what ever downloads or patches, ect, ect it needs, will it be the best for gaming? If it's not the best at gaming, what about office, or doing what ever people do with the computer? Is it the best at anything? I'm not here to frag on WinXP. I just see a lot of post, XP won't do this or that and so on. I would like to hear peoples opinion, now that it has been out for awhile.
Thanks for your replies.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Well it been a bit of time from my last post and i have now gone for win XP again and i love it. I'd say that the inital problems were mainly due to drivers and other incompatibilities and have mostly been ironed out now. The activation thing is a feature im dead against as all you need is the cooperate version if you dont want to pay.
All my game work fine and with no noticable difference from win98 SE/Me. I still stick by what i said with the requirments, i'd say 128mb, 500mhz is the bare minimum to run XP. If you anit got AT LEAST this dont run it.

<font color=purple> "Overclocking is like jumping traffic lights - theres always a bit of slack"</font color=purple> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Del_35 on 12/05/02 08:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
"Well it been a bit of time from my last post"

I guess so, this is only a year old;) by the way I do have XP now

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

dhlucke

Polypheme
I run XP on a PII400 with 256MB of memory and I think that's the cutoff. At 128MB of memory it was a bit cumbersome, but with 256MB it runs fine.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I got it on a Celeron 500mhz, 128mb, onboard sound/graphics which is ok - does all the tasks i ask i.e. internet, some games, word, firwall & server.

<font color=purple> "Overclocking is like jumping traffic lights - theres always a bit of slack"</font color=purple>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Almost same here, 533mhz Celeron, 192mb pc133..lol.. Onboard Graphics/Sound, 15 gb HD... Soon 3 more months i will have 3,000$ to blow on a CLAWHAMMER system!... anyway.. i run XP professional without any problems.. so there is really no need to go nutz for a top system just to run this OS, im sure if you have a great system the OS might perform better, but xp Pro runs just fine with the
CRAP-O-La i own.

This Community is like a Second Family!!

Leezard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Like those who mentionned it XP is a pretty good OS. I have used both the Pro and Home and prefer the Pro versions. As stated it does like its memory and will run on a 400Mhz system. I have found some of the older games have to be run using the Compat Wizard but then all seems well.
I give it a thumb up. Cuz the right thumb is on the Back button on my mouse. :)