A game they need to make...

I'm a huge fan of the "open world" games like GTA III, Spiderman II,
Mercenaries, Simpson Hit n' Run, etc. I think Lucasarts should come out with
a game in this style but in the Star Wars universe. Imagine playing on
different planets (Tatooine, Courescant, Kamino, Geonosis, Alderran,
Degobah, Endor etc) with full freedom. They'd have to incorporate a good
spaceflight section for travel between planets and possible dogfights. You
could take your own path, become a Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Officer,
Sith Lord etc. Man that would rock.

Yeah I know they have Star Wars Galaxies but this could be an amazing
game...

- Cryo

Heck, a whole series of open-world games based on cool universes like Blade
Runner, Alien etc. I know they're making a GodFather one right now. I want
to be free in the game world, not led around by the nose all the time.

> I'm a huge fan of the "open world" games like GTA III, Spiderman II,
> Mercenaries, Simpson Hit n' Run, etc. I think Lucasarts should come out
> with a game in this style but in the Star Wars universe. Imagine playing
> on different planets (Tatooine, Courescant, Kamino, Geonosis, Alderran,
> Degobah, Endor etc) with full freedom. They'd have to incorporate a good
> spaceflight section for travel between planets and possible dogfights. You
> could take your own path, become a Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Officer,
> Sith Lord etc. Man that would rock.
>
> Yeah I know they have Star Wars Galaxies but this could be an amazing
> game...

Like you said, there's SWG :) I'm not exaggerating but every single thing
you listed can be done in that game (except 5 of the planets). It's also
improved hugely since launch, especially with the recent space expansion.

--
Matt Robinson
http://www.tpsreport.co.uk

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Matt Robinson" <diggler26@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'm a huge fan of the "open world" games like GTA III, Spiderman II,
>> Mercenaries, Simpson Hit n' Run, etc. I think Lucasarts should come out
>> with a game in this style but in the Star Wars universe. Imagine playing
>> on different planets (Tatooine, Courescant, Kamino, Geonosis, Alderran,
>> Degobah, Endor etc) with full freedom. They'd have to incorporate a good
>> spaceflight section for travel between planets and possible dogfights.
>> You could take your own path, become a Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Imperial
>> Officer, Sith Lord etc. Man that would rock.
>>
>> Yeah I know they have Star Wars Galaxies but this could be an amazing
>> game...
>
> Like you said, there's SWG :) I'm not exaggerating but every single thing
> you listed can be done in that game (except 5 of the planets). It's also
> improved hugely since launch, especially with the recent space expansion.

What is Galaxies like? Its not out here on xbox in the UK yet, but it is on
my list of games to get. Do Lucasarts charge for using the servers like
they did with the PC owners?

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message

> "Matt Robinson" <diggler26@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm a huge fan of the "open world" games like GTA III, Spiderman II,
>>> Mercenaries, Simpson Hit n' Run, etc. I think Lucasarts should come out
>>> with a game in this style but in the Star Wars universe. Imagine playing
>>> on different planets (Tatooine, Courescant, Kamino, Geonosis, Alderran,
>>> Degobah, Endor etc) with full freedom. They'd have to incorporate a good
>>> spaceflight section for travel between planets and possible dogfights.
>>> You could take your own path, become a Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Imperial
>>> Officer, Sith Lord etc. Man that would rock.
>>>
>>> Yeah I know they have Star Wars Galaxies but this could be an amazing
>>> game...
>>
>> Like you said, there's SWG :) I'm not exaggerating but every single thing
>> you listed can be done in that game (except 5 of the planets). It's also
>> improved hugely since launch, especially with the recent space expansion.
>
> What is Galaxies like? Its not out here on xbox in the UK yet, but it is
> on my list of games to get. Do Lucasarts charge for using the servers
> like they did with the PC owners?

hmm just seen its been canned :-(

> "Beck" <my_bulkmail@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Matt Robinson" <diggler26@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
Alderran,

> >> Like you said, there's SWG :) I'm not exaggerating but every single
thing
> >> you listed can be done in that game (except 5 of the planets). It's
also
> >> improved hugely since launch, especially with the recent space
expansion.

> > What is Galaxies like? Its not out here on xbox in the UK yet, but it
is
> > on my list of games to get. Do Lucasarts charge for using the servers
> > like they did with the PC owners?
>
> hmm just seen its been canned :-(

Last I heard the game wasnt doing very well, far too buggy and it was
semi-broken when released. I got a good bud at work who is ridiculously into
MMORPGs and he really enjoyed the beta test of the game, even with the
flaws, but he was blown away when they released it and there were barely any
improvements over the final beta runs which weren't great.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:ct5lo9$jul$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> Last I heard the game wasnt doing very well, far too buggy and it was
> semi-broken when released. I got a good bud at work who is ridiculously
> into
> MMORPGs and he really enjoyed the beta test of the game, even with the
> flaws, but he was blown away when they released it and there were barely
> any
> improvements over the final beta runs which weren't great.

Maybe they tried to do too much with the game and it failed that way.

"Matt Robinson" <diggler26@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'm a huge fan of the "open world" games like GTA III, Spiderman II,
>> Mercenaries, Simpson Hit n' Run, etc. I think Lucasarts should come out
>> with a game in this style but in the Star Wars universe. Imagine playing
>> on different planets (Tatooine, Courescant, Kamino, Geonosis, Alderran,
>> Degobah, Endor etc) with full freedom. They'd have to incorporate a good
>> spaceflight section for travel between planets and possible dogfights.
>> You could take your own path, become a Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Imperial
>> Officer, Sith Lord etc. Man that would rock.
>>
>> Yeah I know they have Star Wars Galaxies but this could be an amazing
>> game...
>
> Like you said, there's SWG :) I'm not exaggerating but every single thing
> you listed can be done in that game (except 5 of the planets). It's also
> improved hugely since launch, especially with the recent space expansion.

But a MMORPG is never going to give you the same experience as a single
player game completely designed around you. You don't have to make it so
utterly generic that 500,000 people can all be on equal footing. What are
the odds in Galaxies that any given person will save the galaxy or enslave
it? In a huge game like that not everyone can be the hero.

- Cryo

> "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:ct5lo9$jul$1@dns3.cae.ca...
>

> > Last I heard the game wasnt doing very well, far too buggy and it was
> > semi-broken when released. I got a good bud at work who is ridiculously
> > into
> > MMORPGs and he really enjoyed the beta test of the game, even with the
> > flaws, but he was blown away when they released it and there were barely
> > any
> > improvements over the final beta runs which weren't great.
>
> Maybe they tried to do too much with the game and it failed that way.

that is very true for SWG, but the dumb thing is that they start releasing
expansion packs which greatly add to the gameplay (and therefore open up new
areas for bugs) without fixing the core problems first :(, guaranteed way to
lose subscribers.

Wurm

Cryofax <ThrowPoopt@yourface.com> wrote:

> Heck, a whole series of open-world games based on cool universes like Blade
> Runner, Alien etc. I know they're making a GodFather one right now. I want
> to be free in the game world, not led around by the nose all the time.

I'd like to see one based on the wire-fu martial arts movies. Choose your
teacher, complete your training, and stomp your opponents into the
ground. Quests would involve seeking vengence, or defeating a venerable
old master at the top of a castle, or seeking some sort of mystical
artifact.

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Cryofax <ThrowPoopt@yourface.com> wrote:
>
>> Heck, a whole series of open-world games based on cool universes like
>> Blade
>> Runner, Alien etc. I know they're making a GodFather one right now. I
>> want
>> to be free in the game world, not led around by the nose all the time.
>
> I'd like to see one based on the wire-fu martial arts movies. Choose your
> teacher, complete your training, and stomp your opponents into the
> ground. Quests would involve seeking vengence, or defeating a venerable
> old master at the top of a castle, or seeking some sort of mystical
> artifact.

I think this is why I like Shenmue II. Its the only "free world" game I've
played that focuses on a huge storyline involving marshall arts..

- Cryo

TRENDING THREADS