Sign in with
Your question

When all is built what bios and partition settings...

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2012 2:11:49 PM

Sorry never built or installed an os or format HDD always bought from shop and when necessary factory resetted, so im almost complete noob here. Just trying to get ready for when my parts all come tomorrow

So when my pc is built and turns on I go to bios set to boot from cd, should i adjust any other bios settings disabling un used ports, raid functions etc.

and when i format HDD do i just set 2 partitions one for OS and the other for storage(I think this is right)?

Finally how much should the os partition be, as I wonder whether it should be exact amount needed or a touch more to be safe?
February 12, 2012 2:47:21 PM

Don't worry about doing anything in the BIOS unless it doesn't work without it.

I would turn the computer on, hit the BIOS key to pause the boot process, insert the CD, and then hit to exit the BIOS and continue booting.

If it doesn't autodetect the CD drive and ask if you want to boot from the CD, then you can restart and worry about changing the boot order.

I would put the Hard drive in Sata0 when you are wiring things.

Also, I wouldn't worry about partitions right away. Just tell it to install the OS on the whole hard drive and then worry about partitioning stuff later. If you want to have a separate data partition you can make those changes within Windows once everything is setup.

After you install the OS, install an anti-virus right away. You will not want to leave a computer connected to the internet very long without an anti-virus installed. Windows should install a firewall that will keep people out long enough to get an anti-virus installed. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free one that does fairly well.

Some people suggest downloading the files for antivirus programs and putting them on CD before you build the computer so you can install the antivirus before you connect the network cord. This is the safest practice, but kinda overkill-ish. If you work efficiently the likelyhood of getting infected before you can get online and get the program installed from Microsoft's Website are extremely low.

After that, do all the windows updates. There will be many in the first run, then you restart, then you detect updates again and install all of those. You will need to do upwards of 20 "rounds" of detect, install, restart in order to get through everything.

Only then should you start worrying about other things like installing programs, partitioning, and other stuff.

I suggest you don't do any driver updates unless you experience a problem with something. Windows comes with stable drivers for most everything and newer drivers often cause more problems than they solve.

As for the last question, you definitely don't want to run the OS drive with a tiny amount of free space. Your computer will crash often if you do this.

I would suggest no less than about 100 GBs on your boot drive. That is usually plenty of room to install the OS, plenty of programs, and still have plenty of room to spare for the page file, windows backup files, and stuff like that. I don't know what programs you are installing or their space requirements, but I would suggest that you have no less than 50 GBs remaining after you get everything you want to install installed on there.

If you have a large size hard drive, you might want to be more conservative than that. Leaving 100 GBs free after everything is installed is quite safe and allows for plenty of future program installs without having to delete things already there to free up space.

Also, I wanted to say that partitioning a single hard drive into an OS partition and a data partition isn't so overly much better than just not partitioning it and leaving both sets of information on the same partition.

Something that causes the OS drive to fail can often kill all the partitions/file systems on the whole physical drive and still take down both sets of data at once.

The best practice if you want to safeguard data is to put all the data on its own physical drive and make sure no OS is loaded on the drive with the data on it.
February 12, 2012 2:52:08 PM

check out the building guide at the top of the section, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
section four, and three if you run into any issues,
personally I don't split/partition drives on my own builds, I just use one for Os and another for storage
remember to set your hard drive functions to ahci instead of ide in bios as well
Moto
Related resources
February 12, 2012 3:31:43 PM

Cheera guys very helpful

So basically just set sata to achi and go without partitioning. I myan ot bother even after os install

So do I really need to or benefit in anyway from partitioning?

I have external drive with all data backed up on anyway
February 12, 2012 4:03:03 PM

-Suggest connecting HD to SATA3_1
-Save SATA3_0 for future SSD

1. I'd leave BIOS alone until you're settled. As for HD connections.....

2. I suggest a 128 GB partition for ya OS. personally I like a separate swap file / temp files partition so as to permanently fix those files top the outside edges of the HD platters where it will therefore permanently fit on the fastest part of the drive.....2 x RAM is enough. You can even make this FAT32 for a slight speed increase as NTFS file protections aren't needed for temp files. Make other partitions as you see fit .... ya wanna create the ones you want to be fastest first ..... common order is Games, Programs, Data, Backups

One nice thing about partitioning in this way is that if you have to reinstall, all your games, programs and data remains intact. In addition, when you add an SSD, you can just reinstall your programs over themselves and retain all your custom settings. In addition, you will still be able to boot off the HD. And remeber....your HD is twice as fast at the outside edge of the platters as opposed to the inside edges. So by deciding where ya put staff, you decide what gets the 2 x speed advantage.

3. Do the Windows install, then chipset driver, then LAN driver.

4. Run Windows Update over and over till it says its done.

5. Download all the latest drivers from each component manufacturer's web site and store in folder you'll recognize..... i.e. Data\Downloads\MoBo\Chipset

6. ALWAYS install the manufacturer's latest drivers rather than let Windows install drivers. Windows gets it wrong ..... a lot.

7. Check your MoBo CD....there may be bundled utilities and drivers on there that are NOT on the web site as well as registration numbers on CD packaging. I have had more than one instance BTW, (both sound card related) whereby the latest driver / utility would not install unless I installed the one on the CD first.

8. At some point ya can d/l a free trial version of anti-spyware, anti-malware, firewall suite. I typically use Bit Defender or Checkpoint Software Internet Security Suites. That will keep ya going for 30 days at "full protection:....the protection doesn't expire but updates stop after 30 days.....they will nag you every once and a while to register and pay the small fee but if ya ignore for a while, they keep sweetening the pot by reducing the cost :) 

9. Start testing your machine at stock settings .... suggested tools:

OCCT - http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
Does GPU and CPU testing w/o needing any additional utilities to monitor temps and voltages....alarm funcyion lets me feel comfy walking away from the 60 minute tests and it graphs results for examination when ya come back.

Memtest86+ - http://www.memtest.org/
If you have issues.....run this for 12 hours while you're sleeping

After Burner 2.2.0 Beta 12 - http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-...
Use to OC ya GPU(s).

Prime95 - http://mersenne.org/freesoft/

10. Once ya establish a benchmark at stock settings, start overclocking......good set of guides here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264397-29-asus-mother...
February 12, 2012 4:21:25 PM

Cheers for all the info jack

I feel pretty confident about drivers and everything post os install. also about building.

My only confusuin is on what seems like it should be relatively straight forward partition. Its confusing me probably just because of my late night last night :( 

You say i should partition 750gb total

so when the option arises just say 128gb = 131072mb (is this not overkill?) for OS (wouldnt know how to make it FAT32)
The remainder will then be 622gb=636928mb is that it, as I dont understand your abbreviations sorry.

As I said the rest im ok on now cheers just this partition bit whether to bother and what to do.

Sorry Ive read lots on what to do but my head is fried today and Im not taking it in
February 12, 2012 5:31:02 PM

Most of what JackNaylor said is probably above your pay grade, tbh. Not that I am suggesting to ignore it, but it does overly complicate things.

Since you have a backup device already in place, there is no real need to partition stuff at all, if you just make sure to keep your data in one place (say, My Documents) then you should be fine without partitioning things at all. Then you don't have to worry about it.

If you just pop the CD in, install Windows, Download MSE and install it, and then do all the updates, you will 99% likely be fine with just those things. If you still have problems after doing those things, then you can come back in here and we can assist further.
February 12, 2012 7:47:25 PM

cheers raiddinn as always your a big help. not sure though if is should do 2 partitions before and leave it at that or partition later if need be (this option seems better).

do i need to enable ahci regardless??
February 12, 2012 7:59:42 PM

The computer should be able to auto detect AHCI itself.

If you do the install of everything like I mentioned above and find out later it isn't AHCI, there is still potential to change it at that point.

I would worry about the 2 partition thing after everything is working as intended with all your programs and things in place.
!