Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 6870 with 530w Raidmax psu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2011 2:00:07 AM

Hi, im new to this forum and i really need help. My computer that i just built, the image won't come up on my monitor. I tried with another gpu and it ran (GeForce 8400) the bios fine and booted windows. i dont have the drivers for either gpu, but im pretty sure that it doesn't need them to bring up the image. this is my system specs:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-AM3+ mobo
AMD 960t processor
Patriot g series sector 5 2x4gb RAM
Powercolor HD Radeon 6870 GPU
old hitachi 500gb hdd (getting a 1tb and windows 8 when it come out.)
Raidmax 530w psu (the one with a blue led)

the POST is fine with the GeForce 8400, but with the 6870 it is a short beep. i want to know is my psu the problem or is my gpu the problem? And i've already returned the gpu once thinking it was faulty. please i really need your help guys i will really appreciate it.
December 14, 2011 2:35:08 AM

raidmax:Fail, i would stay away with them, specially their lower end models like you have. get a decent psu like corsair hx, antec , ocz modxtream, or seasonic.
i think that crappy psu doesnt have the raw power to run the 6870 but, hey, 6870 needs minimum of 450w, but anyways, get a new psu if you want your rig to last long
m
l
December 14, 2011 9:42:16 PM

thanks, but i got it to work! i had to put in both pci power cords i read the box and it said 1 so we call powercolor and they helped us out.

also i will get a new psu when i upgrade to the piledriver if it it stronger on windows 8 (supposedly win7 can use all the modules correctly so ive heard, and piledriver is supposed to have cores atleast 10% stronger than bulldozer.)

and also if you read this how long do you think my 6870 will last before i have to upgrade and do you know when dx12 will come? i might just CF if dx12 doesn't come out anytime soon idk right now.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2011 11:20:13 PM

your taking a big chance with a radimax psu. it may be working for now, but the only sure thing you get with a radimax psu is that it will fail within a year. I hope it blows up and destroys your computer so you learn your lesson the hard way. maybe then you wont cheap out on a PSU again and actually listen to the advice of more experienced people.
m
l
December 15, 2011 3:12:17 AM

BeastLeeX said:
thanks, but i got it to work! i had to put in both pci power cords i read the box and it said 1 so we call powercolor and they helped us out.

also i will get a new psu when i upgrade to the piledriver if it it stronger on windows 8 (supposedly win7 can use all the modules correctly so ive heard, and piledriver is supposed to have cores atleast 10% stronger than bulldozer.)

and also if you read this how long do you think my 6870 will last before i have to upgrade and do you know when dx12 will come? i might just CF if dx12 doesn't come out anytime soon idk right now.

dx 12, just dont wait for it, it will not come soon. 6870 is a very nice card and is the sweet spot for 1920x 1080, and please for god sake, get a new psu, please listen , i know some people who bought this psu, i stopped them but they didn't listen, we have same rigs but i have a quality antec psu, one by one their pc's blown! but mine is working like a charm. so, please listen, get a new psu.
m
l
!