Xbox had the best rpgs in 2004.

According to Play magazine Febuary issue year in review. Best action rpg
Fable,best rpg Knights of the old Republic 2. Finally some one realized
that good rpgs do not have to come from Japan. Hopefully more game
publishers continue to release rpgs geared to a Western market in the
future.
16 answers Last reply
More about xbox rpgs 2004

    "Giants Rule" <CyberRich@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > According to Play magazine Febuary issue year in review. Best action rpg
    > Fable,best rpg Knights of the old Republic 2. Finally some one realized
    > that good rpgs do not have to come from Japan. Hopefully more game
    > publishers continue to release rpgs geared to a Western market in the
    > future.

    Not sure if I would consider Fable a great game. It was okay, but far from
    great and far from the best. It was seriously lacking in variation - go
    here, fight these people on the way, go there, fight those people. I would
    have liked a bit more out of the game instead of repeating scenarios.

    I forgot to mention they gave Fable game of the year.

    Fable wasn't that good, just an ok game really.
    Kotor was great
    That's about it, the xbox is really but really lacking in the RPG
    department. I enjoyed Gladius immensely too, but that was two years
    ago, hope they make a sequel. Bard's tale is fun but it's too much
    action based for my taste.

    Giants Rule wrote:

    > I forgot to mention they gave Fable game of the year.

    I like some things about Play, but this just proves they're on crack. The
    Xbox is the last console choice for the serious RPG fan, and Fable shouldn't
    even be in the top 10 games of the year. It was good, but it wasn't close to
    being that good. And this is coming from a guy who hates most Japanese style
    RPGs.

    -Z-

    >I forgot to mention they gave Fable game of the year.

    Travesty.

    No it didn't but nice try anyway, dipshit.

    "Giants Rule" <CyberRich@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > I forgot to mention they gave Fable game of the year.

    just that alone should steer you clear of their rag..... it was a good game,
    but far too unfinished to even enter the GoTY rankings.

    Wurm

    "Giants Rule" <CyberRich@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > According to Play magazine Febuary issue year in review. Best action rpg
    > Fable,best rpg Knights of the old Republic 2. Finally some one realized
    > that good rpgs do not have to come from Japan. Hopefully more game
    > publishers continue to release rpgs geared to a Western market in the
    > future.

    While I agree that Fable and KOTOR 2 are excellent games, I would still like
    to see a Japanese style RPG on the XBox.

    Yep, after all the hype I was severly disappointed. I was expecting something along the lines of Morrowind. No way should this game have won any awards. It is a good game but it was not that good.

    Giants Rule <CyberRich@webtv.net> wrote:
    > I forgot to mention they gave Fable game of the year.

    Over HalfLife2(PC) and GTA:SA(PS2)?

    Or is Play now just a mouthpiece for Xbox?

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > Giants Rule <CyberRich@webtv.net> wrote:
    > > I forgot to mention they gave Fable game of the year.
    >
    > Over HalfLife2(PC) and GTA:SA(PS2)?
    >
    > Or is Play now just a mouthpiece for Xbox?

    I don't know that PC games were included in their awards, but if they
    were...I agree, how Fable could have beaten HL2, Doom 3, GTA:SA, etc is
    beyond me...

    Bel
    --
    Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

    "Do not eat iPod shuffle."
    - Apple Computers

    BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote:

    > > Or is Play now just a mouthpiece for Xbox?

    > I don't know that PC games were included in their awards, but if they
    > were...I agree, how Fable could have beaten HL2, Doom 3, GTA:SA, etc is
    > beyond me...

    Maybe I'm thinking of a different magazine, but isn't Play about the
    technology of gaming, meaning it would be covering the PC pretty closely?
    Or was that a different magazine? If not, then I guess they've REALLY let
    themselves go.

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > BelPowerslave <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote:
    >
    > > > Or is Play now just a mouthpiece for Xbox?
    >
    > > I don't know that PC games were included in their awards, but if they
    > > were...I agree, how Fable could have beaten HL2, Doom 3, GTA:SA, etc is
    > > beyond me...
    >
    > Maybe I'm thinking of a different magazine, but isn't Play about the
    > technology of gaming, meaning it would be covering the PC pretty closely?
    > Or was that a different magazine? If not, then I guess they've REALLY let
    > themselves go.

    Hmmmmm, it could be play...but man, that's the one that Dave
    Halverson(GameFan, Gamer's Republic) is running, I believe...so I'm not sure
    they'd do PC stuff. We can always check...but damn, I can't even find their
    site anymore. Ah well...

    Bel
    --

    Gooserider wrote:

    > While I agree that Fable and KOTOR 2 are excellent games, I would
    still like
    > to see a Japanese style RPG on the XBox.

    Good luck, buddy. I've been waiting on a Korean style RPG on the Xbox
    for years now. No luck yet.

    -Eric

    Closest to a Japaneese style rpg is Phantom dust review also in Febuary
    issue of Play. Game is due out in Febuary to be published by Majesco.

    All you have to do is assume one thing:

    "Sequels need not apply."

    It's only a matter of time before the award is split:

    Game of the Year
    Best ORIGINAL Game of the Year

    If you discount all sequels what's left? Fable and Katamari Damacy?

    - Jordan

Console Gaming Games Video Xbox Video Games