Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nikon D2X Prices - are these for real?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:18:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
(internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch retailers
including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.

I wonder if these are a defective lot of units. I'd heard of some D2X's
with "noise" problems, but don't know if there was a recall or what.
When I talked to one of the local underwater/photo shops about it, they
said "yeah, we see those all the time. Don't believe it."

A couple of these other sites change the price almost daily! Looks like
they follow the Dow Jones.;)

Anyone have experience with these sites? i.e. inifinitiphoto.com,
geniuscameras.com, digitalliquidators.com, and a few others.

More about : nikon d2x prices real

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, (More info?)

"diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.

Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
manufacturer.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:26:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
| "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
| news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
|
| > Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
| > (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
| > retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
|
| Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
| monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
| SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
| The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
| manufacturer.
|

Or you could kill yourself.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 26, 2005 10:51:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The two of those I've heard of are traps. I wouldn't give them my credit
card numbers.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html

"diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in message
news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch retailers
> including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>
> I wonder if these are a defective lot of units. I'd heard of some D2X's
> with "noise" problems, but don't know if there was a recall or what.
> When I talked to one of the local underwater/photo shops about it, they
> said "yeah, we see those all the time. Don't believe it."
>
> A couple of these other sites change the price almost daily! Looks like
> they follow the Dow Jones.;)
>
> Anyone have experience with these sites? i.e. inifinitiphoto.com,
> geniuscameras.com, digitalliquidators.com, and a few others.
>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:53:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Yes you are right all the best photographer use STIGMA !! ;-)


"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
> "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
> news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
>> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>
> Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
> monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
> SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
> The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
> manufacturer.
>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
> manufacturer.
>

Warning !

Based on 1 out of 1 Sigma owners, who expressed a preference. (They couldn't
find enough for a realistic survey)
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:26:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 25 May 2005 21:18:42 -0700, "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote:

>Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>(internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch retailers
>including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>
>I wonder if these are a defective lot of units. I'd heard of some D2X's
>with "noise" problems, but don't know if there was a recall or what.
>When I talked to one of the local underwater/photo shops about it, they
>said "yeah, we see those all the time. Don't believe it."
>
>A couple of these other sites change the price almost daily! Looks like
>they follow the Dow Jones.;)
>
>Anyone have experience with these sites? i.e. inifinitiphoto.com,
>geniuscameras.com, digitalliquidators.com, and a few others.

check them out at

http://www.resellerratings.com/

For example digitaliquidators had a rating of 0.23 out of a possible
10.

In contrast B&W has a rating of 8.85.

You might want to see if Don Weiss has pictures of these operations on
his website

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

http://donwiss.com/pictures/ManhattanStores/

Then ask yourself if you want to do business with them....


********************************************************

"The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
singular, and unsatisfactory."

Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
to
Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
November 14, 1866
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Wow! I had no idea. I really appreciate that you were able to
enlighten me. I'm going to used that site to check everything I buy on
the web from now on.

Thank you!!
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:13:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Here's a clip from someone that did a review of Genius Cameras. I'm
SOOO glad I was persistent in my research.

"5/19/05 5:29 PM
I didn't get to make a purchase. Completely standard bait and switch. I
tried to buy a Nikon D70 body. When I refused to purchase the batteries
at the obscene price the quoted, suddenly the D70 was out of stock.
Oddly it still appeared on their website. I reordered it, made the same
call and inquired as to the stock out situation. The loser hung up on
me. Any company that requires you to call and "confirm your order" is
absolutely a scam. Don't be fooled (like me)."
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 5:25:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 26 May 2005 11:07:04 -0700, "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote:

>Wow! I had no idea. I really appreciate that you were able to
>enlighten me. I'm going to used that site to check everything I buy on
>the web from now on.

I would suggest deal with B&H I've bought several thousand dollars
worth of Canon lenses from them this year and they are professionals.


********************************************************

"The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
singular, and unsatisfactory."

Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
to
Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
November 14, 1866
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

That sounds really interesting. I recently bought a Nikon D70s and am
already considering to upgrade. The new Sigma seems to be a worthy
alternative. When will it come to market? Can I use Nikon lenses to it?
Aaron

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
> "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
> news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
>> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>
> Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
> monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
> SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
> The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
> manufacturer.
>
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:12:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Gwnle.138512$dP1.487844@newsc.telia.net...
| That sounds really interesting. I recently bought a Nikon D70s and am
| already considering to upgrade. The new Sigma seems to be a worthy
| alternative. When will it come to market? Can I use Nikon lenses to it?
| Aaron
|

Yes, you can use your Nikon lenses and any others you may have sitting around,
thanks to Sigma's revolutionary "Optimo Omni-Mount". With the Optimo
Omni-Mount, you can mount anything from a magnifying glass to the Mount
Palomar telescope.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:21:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
> "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
> news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
>> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>
> Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
> monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
> SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.

and then you can wrap it in silver paper, and use it for a door-stop.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:42:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:t15c919pl2spkt53jfudepbovmopl80fd1@4ax.com:

> On 26 May 2005 11:07:04 -0700, "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote:
>
>>Wow! I had no idea. I really appreciate that you were able to
>>enlighten me. I'm going to used that site to check everything I buy on
>>the web from now on.
>
> I would suggest deal with B&H I've bought several thousand dollars
> worth of Canon lenses from them this year and they are professionals.

I'll heartily second that and add that there are a couple of others -
Adorama, for example, that are good, professionally-run operations that
will save you a few bucks from local stores and get your equipment to you
as quickly as you want to pay for.

It's entirely possible you'll save a bit by shopping nothing but price.
It's much more likely someone will try to screw you royally.

(And I just remembered one of them is Royal Camera. Apologies for the
unintended bad pun.)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:11:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Let's hope Aaron is an alias for George. If not, Aaron, please reconsider.
The D70s is a better camera than Sigma will EVER make.

Tom
"Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Gwnle.138512$dP1.487844@newsc.telia.net...
> That sounds really interesting. I recently bought a Nikon D70s and am
> already considering to upgrade. The new Sigma seems to be a worthy
> alternative. When will it come to market? Can I use Nikon lenses to it?
> Aaron
>
> "George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
>> "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
>> news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>>> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
>>> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>>
>> Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
>> monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
>> SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
>> The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
>> manufacturer.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:36:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

No - I'm not an alias for George (or anyone else). I will definitively not
give up the D70s - I have had Nikon SLR's since 1970 and have a great
confidence in their quality. I know nothing about Sigma and I will probably
not buy it.

But - if Sigma lenses are so poor, how come they often bundled with Nikon
and Canon digital SLR's?

Also - to balance the debate - the worst lens I have tried is Nikon's old
43-86 zoom.

Aaron


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:o Yqle.73814$IO.3117@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Let's hope Aaron is an alias for George. If not, Aaron, please reconsider.
> The D70s is a better camera than Sigma will EVER make.
>
> Tom
> "Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:Gwnle.138512$dP1.487844@newsc.telia.net...
>> That sounds really interesting. I recently bought a Nikon D70s and am
>> already considering to upgrade. The new Sigma seems to be a worthy
>> alternative. When will it come to market? Can I use Nikon lenses to it?
>> Aaron
>>
>> "George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
>>> "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
>>> news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>>
>>>> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>>>> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
>>>> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>>>
>>> Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
>>> monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
>>> SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
>>> The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
>>> manufacturer.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:36:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Aaron Blacksmith wrote:

> But - if Sigma lenses are so poor, how come they often bundled with Nikon
> and Canon digital SLR's?

Stores, not Nikon (Canon et al) do this to put
together <ahem> 'high value kits'. (In some instances
they're not all that bad, but usually not great).

> Also - to balance the debate - the worst lens I have tried is Nikon's old
> 43-86 zoom.

Every OEM makes some undisputed dogs.

Cheers,
Alan


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:43:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 26-May-05 18:12:58, Juan Motine said
>"Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:Gwnle.138512$dP1.487844@newsc.telia.net...
>| That sounds really interesting. I recently bought a Nikon D70s and am
>| already considering to upgrade. The new Sigma seems to be a worthy
>| alternative. When will it come to market? Can I use Nikon lenses to it?
>| Aaron
>|

>Yes, you can use your Nikon lenses and any others you may have sitting
>around, thanks to Sigma's revolutionary "Optimo Omni-Mount". With the
>Optimo Omni-Mount, you can mount anything from a magnifying glass to the
>Mount Palomar telescope.


If I select the latter is it fitted with a suitable thread for a tripod
screw? I would not be comfortable with the tripod attached to the Nikon
body in these circumstances.



All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Juan Motine" <Jmotine@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Yes, you can use your Nikon lenses and any others you may have sitting around,
>thanks to Sigma's revolutionary "Optimo Omni-Mount". With the Optimo
>Omni-Mount, you can mount anything from a magnifying glass to the Mount
>Palomar telescope.


Don't forget the Sigma AF - to - Hubble converter, which applies a
1.4X magnification factor and is available for a mere $399,999.95 from
Preddy's of Maine. Rocket launch extra.

Residents of Maine/the International Space Station must pay Sales Tax.

;-)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:31:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote:
>
>But - if Sigma lenses are so poor, how come they often bundled with Nikon
>and Canon digital SLR's?

Because they are extremely cheap.

Photo stores love selling Sigma lenses, because the dealer's profit
margin is usually at least double the margin on brand name lenses
offered by the camera manufacturers.

>Also - to balance the debate - the worst lens I have tried is Nikon's old
>43-86 zoom.

The first version of that lens was an exceptionally poor performer.
It gave zoom lenses a bad name, when some of its contemporaries were
actually optically quite good.

The later version was a much better performer. However, it is quite
rare, because the reputation of the first version lived long in the
memories of its (mostly very disgruntled) owners and sales therefore
suffered.

The 28-84mm model that followed it was a very good performer, let down
only by its variable maximum aperture.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 3:51:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Angus Manwaring" <angus@angusm_ANTISPEM_.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1061.7T214T13033297angus@angusm_ANTISPEM_.demon.co.uk...
| On 26-May-05 18:12:58, Juan Motine said
| >"Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
| >news:Gwnle.138512$dP1.487844@newsc.telia.net...
| >| That sounds really interesting. I recently bought a Nikon D70s and am
| >| already considering to upgrade. The new Sigma seems to be a worthy
| >| alternative. When will it come to market? Can I use Nikon lenses to it?
| >| Aaron
| >|
|
| >Yes, you can use your Nikon lenses and any others you may have sitting
| >around, thanks to Sigma's revolutionary "Optimo Omni-Mount". With the
| >Optimo Omni-Mount, you can mount anything from a magnifying glass to the
| >Mount Palomar telescope.
|
|
| If I select the latter is it fitted with a suitable thread for a tripod
| screw? I would not be comfortable with the tripod attached to the Nikon
| body in these circumstances.
|


In its innovative wisdom, and knowing that not all large lenses are fitted
with a tripod collar, Sigma has developed a universal tripod collar (the
"Uni-Collar) as part of the comprehensive Sigma Optimo Omni-Mount System that
will attach to any lens, no matter the weight and size.
May 27, 2005 6:31:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9662458AB2A7xxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@82.106.6.176...
> "diveguy" <diveguy@hymes.com> wrote in
> news:1117081122.801078.51910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Check this out: Nikon D2X for $2300! There's a couple of other
>> (internet) places that sell it for $3k, but all top notch
>> retailers including bhphoto.com list it for $4999.
>
> Don't waste 5 grand on a noise machine with a lousy build and a
> monochrome sensor. For that price you can buy a full-color Sigma
> SD10, a Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash and a whole bag of Sigma glass.
> The Sigma SD10 is *still* the best DSLR that has ever been made by any
> manufacturer.
>

How is battery life with the Sigma SD10?
-Pete
!