My First Build, Spent $840 How did I do?

jok3sta

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I'm new here so i figured the best way to introduce myself is to talk about my new system.. This is my first time building my own computer so forgive me if i get some of the terminology or names wrong. My goal was to build a gaming system that was somewhat future proof. I didn't have tons of money to spend unfortunately so i had to work with what i had. I think i did pretty good. I don't know how you guys feel about Microcenter but that's where i got all of my parts from. I know i could have probably bought a better system pre built on eBay or such but whats the fun in that. I wanted this to be my little hands on project. Anyways enough of the boring stuff, here's a list of my little system. Let me know what you think. All criticism is welcome, positive or negative. Let me know where i could have did better or worse.. Thanks in advance

Tower - Cooler Master 922 Haf - 84.99 info
Motherboard - Asus P8 Z68-V/gen 3 - 134.99 info
CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k - 179.89 info
GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560ti ds Superclocked - 249.99 info
PSU - Corsair enthusiast series tx750m - 129.99 info
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8 gb ddr3 - 59.99 info

total spent ~ 840

Hard drive and dvd drive i just took out of my old broken Computer. I'm going to upgrade my hdd soon though as mine now is only 640gb. And im thinking about getting a Bluray drive as well.. Anyway that's it. What are you thoughts.

joerowland

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Looks good to me, my weak point is motherboards though. I hear many good things about that Case, CPU and Graphics card, so looks solid. The PSU you have looks good too is the corsair Vengeance 1600 or 1333 I keep being told 1600 will void your CPU warranty with intel core i5 2500k and since that is definitely the best CPU for gaming at it's price I would choose 1333. You mite want to get a CPU cooler if your overclocking your CPU and since the GPU is "Superclocked" however the case you chose is very good for cooling.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Lol...you need confirmation that you made a good choice? What if people tell you it was not good...what do you do then? Ask for advice and then send things back and reorder new items?

Build it and see if you like it and if you do then you did well.

jok3sta

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

The corsair is 1600. Since its all setup and running I guess its too late to get the 1333 since the cpu probably stores this info correct? I guess I have to read up on the cpu warranty to find out for myself. I'm glad I made the right choice as far as the cpu.. what motherboard would you have suggested if you were asked?

And Quietpc no I don't need confirmation and will not be returning but I'm new to the whole "computer building" scene and I just wanted to get others opinion and thoughts. I admit I bought this kind of spur of the moment. I wasn't intending on buying a computer when I went in the store. So most of my research was done from my smartphone as I walked through the store. I was in the store for about 2 hr haha.

joerowland

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Ignore quiet PC he is being a ****. If I was building a PC I would definitely make sure I wasn't about to waste my money. The Mobo you had selected is a very good motherboard without question will from the reviews and the details I have read on it I would choose that or something similar... I am actually going to buy a similar board myself.

joerowland

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Ignore the "Without question will" part was mean to be... *without question will do what you need it to and from the reviews and the details I have read on it I would choose that or something similar... I am actually going to buy a similar board myself.*