Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Teamed cpus, how do i check?

Last response: in CPUs
May 29, 2012 6:47:30 PM

I recently bought a computer from a friend of my fathers. nice guy but he definately oversold some of the specs. he came through on making sure he met alot of the promises he originally made except for 1.

he told me the cpu i was getting was an 8core 3.0 ghz processor, and AMD phenom 9850 x4. now I know this is a quad core with 2.5 ghz.

he has told me however that the cpus are teamed with another 4 cores that windows cannot detect. I am willing to forgive the .5ghz difference in speed if indeed this is an 8 core machine.

I am wondering how do I check this? I went into the bios but couldonly see the quad core listed.

ill give you the breakdown on the machine in general as well as what i paid.

$700 dollars

1 terabyte hard drive,
8 gigs ram
bluray reader/burner
asus m3n78-emh hdmi motherboard

amd phenom 9850 cpu

nvidia integrated 8200 (the graphics card sucks, he said it was very good, but I am also willing to forgive due to how good some of the other specs are)

lots of usb 2.0 ports, all the standard card readers

More about : teamed cpus check

a c 283 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 6:56:16 PM

Well, first of all, there would never be 8 cores for sure because that's only a single CPU AM2+ motherboard (and not a great one, at that).

If it really IS a 9850 X4 though, there should be 4 cores. Go into Windows, open up task manager and go to the Performance tab. That should show you how many cores are present.

There will only be 4 guaranteed. Even if there were 8 cores, if they're not recognized in Windows, what use would they have? LOL
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:59:57 PM

there is 4 cores I have confirmed this through the performance tab and the bios
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 7:01:15 PM

Yep, and that's all there will ever be on that system. No such thing as hidden cores.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:01:15 PM

I was told the extra 4 cores would not be visible in performance because they are teamed.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:01:49 PM

thank you very much for the quick response, this may change something
m
l

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 7:03:30 PM

You were misinformed. That's not possible without an extra physical CPU (which isn't possible on that mobo), and if there WERE two physical CPU's, you would see all 8 cores. They would NEVER be hidden.

I should add that it WOULD be possible with a Bulldozer FX-8xxx CPU, but you don't have one of those, and couldn't with that mobo.
a c 283 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 7:05:06 PM

No problem at all, man.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:07:29 PM

based on it being a quadcore and for what i paid, do you think I was ripped off or is it good value?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 7:13:09 PM

I hate to say because it's bad news, but $700 was way too much for that system. I built my current system for just over $900 (you can look in my profile to see, and I didn't buy a case, monitor, keyboard or mouse since I already had those), and it would destroy that system.

The most I would have paid for that system is $350-$400 (and maybe not that much, considering it just has integrated video).
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:35:08 PM

The $254 dollar x3 system Newegg has on shellshocker today would beat that system easily so yeah, you got hosed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

add $20 to get another 4gb ram and bring the total to 8gb
add $30 to get the 1tb Samsung drive instead of the 500gb and you're still way below $700 that you paid for that old outdated system.

ps - I'm not saying buy the system above, just trying to point out how bad you got taken. I wish you would have checked here before buying that.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:39:53 PM

thank you for the info all. I don't think he was trying to rip me off. I brought up the issues to him and he has offered a refund. he mentioned that the processor is a dual quad core cpu, which is why he said it was an eight core. does that have any bearing?
m
l
a c 887 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:45:10 PM

No it is just an old quad core 3 generations old on used market maybe $200+ depending on hardware + OS license if it came with it! For $700 you can built a much more powerful system.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:54:06 PM

Hi :) 

As a father and grandfather let me give you some advice here....

This could cause personal or family problems...so talk to YOUR father FIRST...let him deal with his friend...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:59:30 PM

and can I ask what is a dual quad core exactly? is it 2 quad core cpus which would total 8 cores?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:01:26 PM

askandlearn said:
and can I ask what is a dual quad core exactly? is it 2 quad core cpus which would total 8 cores?

Its more complicated than that question....

You COULD get dual (2) x quad cpus in a server for example but not in yours...

m
l
May 29, 2012 9:01:55 PM

thank you brett, that is good advice.

I have already mentioned this to him and that has definately been a factor in me sorting this out. I do not want to damage their relationship in the slightest. they are colleagues and friends but I don't feel that means I should just grin and bare it when this machine is not what he said it was. at the same time im open to working things out with him. we will see how this goes
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:03:19 PM

This system is worth maybe $200 today.
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:03:57 PM

ok and hypothetically speaking if there were dual quad cores, all the cores would show up in windows and bios right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:04:38 PM

Owning computer shops in the UK , i would also say that for a retail price thats not a bad machine...assuming it comes with a legal copy of windows ?

My shops for example would sell that machine for MORE than you paid....at UK prices..

The people above are mainly talking about self build....which is always cheaper...

m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:04:44 PM

askandlearn said:
ok and hypothetically speaking if there were dual quad cores, all the cores would show up in windows and bios right?

Absolutely.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:05:56 PM

askandlearn said:

YES...and you would see TWO heatsinks and fans if you looked inside for the TWO cpus..

m
l
May 29, 2012 9:06:18 PM

I don't think the system is horrible value. it does come with a bluray player/burner, 8 gigs ram and a 1 terabyte drive. the issues it has for me are the crappy graphics card and the poor processor. i was willing to overlook the card as i can replace it myself, but the card and the processor is a bit much.
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:07:21 PM

thank you brett that is excellent advice.

and my previous post was in reply to fineous. i dont know how to quote lol
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:07:40 PM

and djdecibel thank you so much as well
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:08:26 PM

Also your motherboard (assuming you gave the correct model) has ONLY got ONE cpu socket....so no twin cpus...

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:09:58 PM

Not worth bothering trying to overclock integrated graphics...just buy a decent graphics card.... 10 times better if you are a gamer..

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:11:46 PM

FinneousPJ said:
This system is worth maybe $200 today.

Sorry but thats total rubbish....see my post about cost...

m
l
May 29, 2012 9:20:37 PM

yeah model is correct. djdecibel said the same thing. i called asus and they confirmed
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:35:07 PM

askandlearn said:
yeah model is correct. djdecibel said the same thing. i called asus and they confirmed

Final thought....let your Dad read this thread...

m
l
May 29, 2012 9:42:01 PM

askandlearn said:

Windows 7 only supports a single socket. So if you have two sockets, there is a good chance it wouldn't show 8 CPUs. They should both show up in the BIOS though (Because the board is obviously built to take 2 CPUs or it isn't).
m
l
May 30, 2012 6:55:24 AM

Best answer selected by askandlearn.
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 9:44:06 PM

I wouldnt bother adding in a newer GPU, that processor is rather limited in what modern games it can handle. For what its worth.
m
l
!