Teamed cpus, how do i check?

askandlearn

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I recently bought a computer from a friend of my fathers. nice guy but he definately oversold some of the specs. he came through on making sure he met alot of the promises he originally made except for 1.

he told me the cpu i was getting was an 8core 3.0 ghz processor, and AMD phenom 9850 x4. now I know this is a quad core with 2.5 ghz.

he has told me however that the cpus are teamed with another 4 cores that windows cannot detect. I am willing to forgive the .5ghz difference in speed if indeed this is an 8 core machine.

I am wondering how do I check this? I went into the bios but couldonly see the quad core listed.

ill give you the breakdown on the machine in general as well as what i paid.

$700 dollars

1 terabyte hard drive,
8 gigs ram
bluray reader/burner
asus m3n78-emh hdmi motherboard

amd phenom 9850 cpu

nvidia integrated 8200 (the graphics card sucks, he said it was very good, but I am also willing to forgive due to how good some of the other specs are)

lots of usb 2.0 ports, all the standard card readers

Solution
You were misinformed. That's not possible without an extra physical CPU (which isn't possible on that mobo), and if there WERE two physical CPU's, you would see all 8 cores. They would NEVER be hidden.

I should add that it WOULD be possible with a Bulldozer FX-8xxx CPU, but you don't have one of those, and couldn't with that mobo.
Well, first of all, there would never be 8 cores for sure because that's only a single CPU AM2+ motherboard (and not a great one, at that).

If it really IS a 9850 X4 though, there should be 4 cores. Go into Windows, open up task manager and go to the Performance tab. That should show you how many cores are present.

There will only be 4 guaranteed. Even if there were 8 cores, if they're not recognized in Windows, what use would they have? LOL

You were misinformed. That's not possible without an extra physical CPU (which isn't possible on that mobo), and if there WERE two physical CPU's, you would see all 8 cores. They would NEVER be hidden.

I should add that it WOULD be possible with a Bulldozer FX-8xxx CPU, but you don't have one of those, and couldn't with that mobo.

Solution
I hate to say because it's bad news, but $700 was way too much for that system. I built my current system for just over $900 (you can look in my profile to see, and I didn't buy a case, monitor, keyboard or mouse since I already had those), and it would destroy that system.

The most I would have paid for that system is $350-$400 (and maybe not that much, considering it just has integrated video).

popatim

Titan
The $254 dollar x3 system Newegg has on shellshocker today would beat that system easily so yeah, you got hosed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.952545

add $20 to get another 4gb ram and bring the total to 8gb
add $30 to get the 1tb Samsung drive instead of the 500gb and you're still way below $700 that you paid for that old outdated system.

ps - I'm not saying buy the system above, just trying to point out how bad you got taken. I wish you would have checked here before buying that.

askandlearn

Honorable
May 29, 2012
thank you for the info all. I don't think he was trying to rip me off. I brought up the issues to him and he has offered a refund. he mentioned that the processor is a dual quad core cpu, which is why he said it was an eight core. does that have any bearing?

askandlearn

Honorable
May 29, 2012
thank you brett, that is good advice.

I have already mentioned this to him and that has definately been a factor in me sorting this out. I do not want to damage their relationship in the slightest. they are colleagues and friends but I don't feel that means I should just grin and bare it when this machine is not what he said it was. at the same time im open to working things out with him. we will see how this goes

Hi :)

Owning computer shops in the UK , i would also say that for a retail price thats not a bad machine...assuming it comes with a legal copy of windows ?

My shops for example would sell that machine for MORE than you paid....at UK prices..

The people above are mainly talking about self build....which is always cheaper...

All the best Brett :)

askandlearn

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I don't think the system is horrible value. it does come with a bluray player/burner, 8 gigs ram and a 1 terabyte drive. the issues it has for me are the crappy graphics card and the poor processor. i was willing to overlook the card as i can replace it myself, but the card and the processor is a bit much.