Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade to Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 29, 2012 6:51:37 PM

Hey guys!
I own an amd processor (amd phenom x2 960t) that is over clocked to 3.3 and has 6 cores unlocked.For some reason i cant get to 3.7 ghz even with my hyper 212 evo. But anyways.Iv been thinking about upgrading to an intel system becuase there really isnt a good AMD upgrade for $200 bucks.Im planning on using th parts that are still compatible with intel in my new system(Case psu, ram,hdd ect)


Here are my specs: (asterisk by the parts i will carry over)
Case;Coolermaster HAF 922 *
MOBO: ASROCK 970 extreme 4 am3 +
CPU :AMD Phenom x2 Zosma 960t ocd to 3,2 ghz 6 cores unlocked
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Vengeance*
HDD:1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm*
GPU:Gtx 260*
OS;Windows 32 bit (will be upgrading to Win 8 as soon as its released.)*
DVD drive:Sony drive*

Tell me if doing this would be a good idea.Also give me suggestions on what to get if i should upgrade! THANNKS!

More about : upgrade intel

a c 334 à CPUs
a c 144 À AMD
a b å Intel
May 29, 2012 7:50:03 PM

I presume you mean a Phenom II X4 960t, correct? You are pretty close to the top end of AMD processors for gaming, if that is your main desire. Tom's Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart doesn't list that processor, but gives you an idea where the best of AMD's stand in relation to the Intel offerings:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

They even rate the dual core i3-21xx (with H/T) processors as a tier above AMD's best offering. So, yes, moving to a faster Intel platform would be better. But where does the $200 limit come in to play you mentioned? You are going to spend more than that for a new CPU/Motherboard. Maybe have to add a different cooler as well.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:03:35 PM

abnormalweeny said:
Hey guys!
I own an amd processor (amd phenom x2 960t) that is over clocked to 3.3 and has 6 cores unlocked.For some reason i cant get to 3.7 ghz even with my hyper 212 evo. But anyways.Iv been thinking about upgrading to an intel system becuase there really isnt a good AMD upgrade for $200 bucks.Im planning on using th parts that are still compatible with intel in my new system(Case psu, ram,hdd ect)


Here are my specs: (asterisk by the parts i will carry over)
Case;Coolermaster HAF 922 *
MOBO: ASROCK 970 extreme 4 am3 +
CPU :AMD Phenom x2 Zosma 960t ocd to 3,2 ghz 6 cores unlocked
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Vengeance*
HDD:1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm*
GPU:Gtx 260*
OS;Windows 32 bit (will be upgrading to Win 8 as soon as its released.)*
DVD drive:Sony drive*

Tell me if doing this would be a good idea.Also give me suggestions on what to get if i should upgrade! THANNKS!


You have ONE old graphics card, why would you need to upgrade to a Intel processor??? I suggest you get a new graphics card and call it a day. Of course you failed to mention the most important component of the computer, the psu, so can't really offer any suggestions.

Oh and a X2 is a dual core, hence the TWO. Your processor is a X4 unlocked to X6.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 29, 2012 8:06:30 PM

It depends one what kinda of performance boost you want. If gaming is your primary concern then the 960T is still a good CPU, all you need to do is upgrade your video card.

If you are looking to do some very intensive CPU processing video encoding, then going with Intel's Ivy Bridge is virtually a no brainer since it's QuickSync technology puts AMD's video encoding performance to shame.

So... what is it you are looking for?
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 8:08:36 PM

I have a PhenomII X4 975 (3.6Ghz) and I saw a huge performance increase by going from a GTX260 to a GTX560Ti 448 core graphics card. If you switch to an Intel cpu like a core i3,i5, but keep your gtx260, you will see no gain in gaming performance, since your graphics card is the bottleneck. You are probably only using about 75% of your cpu's power now.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:12:47 PM

I don't recommend upgrading your CPU yet.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:37:31 PM

Upgrade that video card, changing the cpu won't get you much.

gpu chart: http://www.hwcompare.com/11202/geforce-gtx-260-vs-gefor...
the 6870 can be found on newegg for just under $200, $159 if you get the rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
here is the comparison: http://www.hwcompare.com/6033/geforce-gtx-260-vs-radeon...

Direct comparison for the 6870 ($189 or $159 after MIR) Vs 560TI ($209 or $179 after MIR): http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-review...

The 560 TI 384 is barely faster, but considerably higher if you count rebates and the 448 is near $300.

m
0
l
May 29, 2012 8:45:43 PM

geekapproved said:
You have ONE old graphics card, why would you need to upgrade to a Intel processor??? I suggest you get a new graphics card and call it a day. Of course you failed to mention the most important component of the computer, the psu, so can't really offer any suggestions.

Oh and a X2 is a dual core, hence the TWO. Your processor is a X4 unlocked to X6.


sorry i had a few typos because i was in a rush :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 8:46:38 PM

jaguarskx said:
It depends one what kinda of performance boost you want. If gaming is your primary concern then the 960T is still a good CPU, all you need to do is upgrade your video card.

If you are looking to do some very intensive CPU processing video encoding, then going with Intel's Ivy Bridge is virtually a no brainer since it's QuickSync technology puts AMD's video encoding performance to shame.

So... what is it you are looking for?

i want to use it for gaming
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:50:30 PM

Did you increase the NB frequency when you overclocked? If you didn't that'd be why you top out at 3.3Ghz (which is a kind of feeble number) to make 4Ghz on a thuban you need to be thinking of NB freq around 2600
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 29, 2012 8:50:39 PM

geek had it right. dump the video card....... unless you game at 1200 res.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 8:55:21 PM

geekapproved said:
You have ONE old graphics card, why would you need to upgrade to a Intel processor??? I suggest you get a new graphics card and call it a day. Of course you failed to mention the most important component of the computer, the psu, so can't really offer any suggestions.

Oh and a X2 is a dual core, hence the TWO. Your processor is a X4 unlocked to X6.

would you recommend getting a new gpu then saving up for a new build after xmas?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:57:52 PM

abnormalweeny said:
would you recommend getting a new gpu then saving up for a new build after xmas?

I would, AMD's new cpus will be out then, could be the cheaper route especially if they improve as much as they appear on trinity.

I edited my post above a few times for a good $200 gpu comparison.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 8:58:52 PM

You don't need a new CPU for gaming for at least a year.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 9:09:06 PM

If you're looking for the biggest boost for buck, it's a new graphics card you need. Your AMD processor is fine. Yes, there are faster processors around, but your CPU is far closer to the state of the art than your graphics card. For a similar price to what a worthwhile CPU upgrade would cost you, you can get a shiny new GTX 670. Now that would transform your system in a way that a new CPU just wouldn't.
m
0
l
a c 334 à CPUs
a c 144 À AMD
a b å Intel
May 29, 2012 9:31:15 PM

If your whole reason for an upgrade is to game at better frame rates, then by all means upgrade the graphics card first. Gaming is mainly about the card.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
May 29, 2012 9:59:21 PM

abnormalweeny said:
i want to use it for gaming


Then save up money for a video card; the more you save, the better a card you can buy.

Here is how the GTX 260 stacked up to other cards when it was still new.



Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_460_HAWK/28....

Based on the performance of more current card, tthe GTX 260 is approximately as powerful as the Radeon HD 7750 / HD 5770. Based on the chart, I would recommend something like the GTX 560 Ti ($210 - $230) or Radeon HD 7850 ($240 - $260) as a worthwhile upgrade. You can spend less than that, but I think those two cards represents the best bang for the buck if you are on a reasonable budget.



Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 10:31:01 PM

abnormalweeny said:
would you recommend getting a new gpu then saving up for a new build after xmas?


I don't see a reason at all for a new cpu. Get a good graphics card and your good for a couple years to be honest. You have a fast 6 core cpu already, and it still has some overclocking headroom which you honestly don't even need for a single graphics card.

Depending on your budget, here's what i recommend.

Great! GTX560ti
Awesome! HD7850
Spectacular! GTX670

Need to know what psu you have though.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 3:38:01 AM

+1 new GPU.
m
0
l
!