BIOS Says CPU is 50C But Coretemp Says 30C?

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
TL;DR My BIOS says my CPU is 50C on start up while Coretemp says it's 30C right after W7 boot, which do I believe?

I just booted up my PC for the first time today, around 11:30am, it's not hot in my room at all and I went to check some BIOS settings and I noticed the BIOS said that my CPU is at 50 degrees celsius. Now I was in utter SHOCK, it's never been that high at IDLE before! So I was freaking out and I went to see what it says on my desktop Coretemp program, it says it's 30 degrees celcius :sarcastic:

Which do I believe? I can feel the air coming out of my computer's ventilation areas and the air is cold and crisp. 30C is my minimum normal idle temperature. Which do I believe guys? The BIOS or some desktop program?

Solution
You don't say which processor/board you have. But, When in BIOS, the CPU/System speed is not throttled down. It is running at full GHZ speed. When you've booted to Windows, the speed is dropped when not needing full power to conserve energy, and keep things cool and improve CPU longevity. That's what you are seeing.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't say which processor/board you have. But, When in BIOS, the CPU/System speed is not throttled down. It is running at full GHZ speed. When you've booted to Windows, the speed is dropped when not needing full power to conserve energy, and keep things cool and improve CPU longevity. That's what you are seeing.

Solution

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. I own a i5-2500k 4GHz OC with a stock cooler with a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4. Almost a similar setup as yours hahaha.