Sign in with
Your question

I want to upgrade my Psu in dell XPS 8000

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2012 7:44:51 PM

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of buying a new graphics card and it looks like I will need to upgrade my power supply unit.
The existing unit is only 350W and I would like to upgrade to 600-700w.
My computer is a Dell XPS 8000.
If anyone knows a good unit that will fit with no problem, I would apprecitate your advice.

Thanks in Advance
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 8:01:16 PM

What are your system specs and what GPU are you planning on installing? Are you wanting to Crossfire/SLI now or in the future? Unless you intend on SLI/CF, a good quality 500-550W PSU should be more than enough for your PC.

The XPS8000 uses a standard ATX sized PSU. Any ATX PSU should fit. Of note, higher capacity PSUs are typically longer...in other words they will protrude deeper into the case. If you have limited space available in front of the PSU, then I will caution you to measure the length of your current PSU and compare that to any new PSU that you intend to install in the PC.
May 29, 2012 8:32:20 PM

Rugger said:
What are your system specs and what GPU are you planning on installing? Are you wanting to Crossfire/SLI now or in the future? Unless you intend on SLI/CF, a good quality 500-550W PSU should be more than enough for your PC.

The XPS8000 uses a standard ATX sized PSU. Any ATX PSU should fit. Of note, higher capacity PSUs are typically longer...in other words they will protrude deeper into the case. If you have limited space available in front of the PSU, then I will caution you to measure the length of your current PSU and compare that to any new PSU that you intend to install in the PC.

I was looking at a GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I was adding on another 100w just to allow a bit of extra capacity. I have recently installed an extra fan and changed the cpu fan for a larger Zalman cooler. I also want to add another hardrive
Related resources
a c 667 ) Power supply
a c 1309 U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 8:36:45 PM

A quality 500-550watt will still be enough!
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 8:58:36 PM

Hi :) 

WHOA...STOP...

Some Dells use a DELL motherboard...which CANNOT have a standard ATX connected to it....

WHICH motherboard have you got ???

All the best Brett :) 
a c 667 ) Power supply
a c 1309 U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 9:52:44 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

WHOA...STOP...

Some Dells use a DELL motherboard...which CANNOT have a standard ATX connected to it....

WHICH motherboard have you got ???

All the best Brett :) 

True about older Dell's! Not the case here std mATX board http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio800...
June 26, 2012 1:51:07 PM

rolli59 said:
A quality 500-550watt will still be enough!

Hi thanks for the advice. I am new to this and there are so many different opinions. Since you know what your talking about can you recomend a specific power supply that will suit my Dell 8000 Xps
Thanks
Brian
!