caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I was replacing the 939 cpu in my wife's computer. When I tried to remove the old cpu I could not get the heat sink off. It was stuck to the cpu. I wiggled it and it still would not come off. I pulled and the entire cpu came out of the socket and was still stuck to the heat sink... 8O

Well to make a long story short I put the new cpu in and it works great. :D

My question is why did the thermal paste glue the cpu to the heat sink? I used arctic silver 5 thermal compound. This cpu had been on the same board for approx two years.

Did I use too much paste? (temps were fine)......or should I turn the computer on and let the cpu heat up and soften the paste before removing next time?

I have never had this happen before and was just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen and what can I do to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks.... :wink:

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I got it at radio shack. :lol:

On the tube it says

Arctic Silver 5
high density
polysynthetic silver
thermal compound

After sliding the cpu off the heat sink I was able to wipe the stuff off with a cloth. It was soft and sticky.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I've never actually seen AS5 do this before.... :?

Of course, I've never let AS5 go for 2 years either.....

By nature most thermal pastes dry out and "bake on" to the heatsink/processor. To prevent the sticking together, first run the computer for a few minutes, then turn it off and remove the heatsink quickly. As the paste is still warm, it will be easier to remove.

Best of Luck

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I've found it comes off easier if you run the machine first and get it warm, then shut down and remove it.
Cat-sharks are vicious as they hate being wet, yet die if they aren't in water. Very angry, confused creatures.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It's ahhh.... It's ahhh.... It's ahhh.... It's ahhh.... putty tat with a big mouth practicing it's back stroke...

<--hears in the back ground..

bubble beach blonde . o O <(Oh look at the dolphin, look at the pretty dolphins.. hehehe, lets go play with him)

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Hmm the one I used wasn't, A friend gave it to me when I was like 14 and said use this, hate that guy.

Dont know what you call the avatar but is sure eats a lot of fish.

weilin

Distinguished
thats normal with AS5. To remove those, unclip the heatsink, give it a few twists to break the bonds between heatsink and cpu. Pick heatsink up and take cpu out. Be sure to properly clean the AS5 off of the heatsink/cpu if you plan on re-using it again.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Unfortunately that is how the 939 cpu's come out,heatsink and all.No worries though mate,I've removed several 939 cpus and replaced them with newer and faster cpu's.The trick is to pull it straight out so you do not bend any pins.If a pin comes off however,you are kind of S.O.L.However,pins seldom come off the cpu.Trust me on this ok,I know what I'm talking about here.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Thanks all.....yea I was thinking that I should have warmed the heatsink and then tired to remove it (of course this occured to me after the fact). I'm just happy I didn't ruin the mother board and cpu.