Seasonic 520w or ocz 700w...or other suggestions

aholeinthewor1d

Honorable
May 15, 2012
i am about to order a power supply..i know sea sonic is better than ocz but i can get the ocz 700w for the same price..

my setup will be

-corsair 300r case
-i5 3570k
-asus P8Z77-V Pro
-g skill ddr3 1600 MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
-1 or 2 dvd-rw
-1 regular hard drive for now (eventually 2 or 3)
-no graphics card for a while (i do not play games) and when i get one it will be in the 100-150 dollar range

i know 520 should be enough for a single card setup but i just wanted more advice please and explain your answer...even if 520 is enough please tell me if you think it will be maxing it out and if it makes more sense to go with the ocz..and if the ocz will even last long term....ive read review and tried psu calculators so please dont link them... here are the two i am looking at and please feel free to suggest other PSU's as well..i would def prefer modular and im trying to go for a black unit also..i want to order tonight so if you read this please help me out..thank you

SeaSonic M12II 520
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018&Tpk=ocz%20modxstream%20700

actually the ocz looks to be goin for $50 right now after rebates and $10 off coupon code

With no discrete graphics card, you only need a 200w psu.

Most modest discrete graphics cards need a 500w psu; some a bit more.

Stick to the best quality psu's.
My short list includes Seasonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair, or PC P&C. OCZ is not on the list.
The seasonic you listed should be very good.

I don't think modular is a big benefit unless you will be building a small form factor case.
For a properly sized psu, you will be using most of the leads anyway.
It is no big deal to tuck some leads out of the way.

aholeinthewor1d

Honorable
May 15, 2012

thanks for the reply..yea those are the names that keep coming up in regards to quality psu's..the only thing is i do not want to have to replace everything years down the road if i dont have to..so i figured maybe get more wattage than i need for now if its the same price and everything ive read about ocz says it depends which model psu and the one i linked seemed to actually have really good reviews everywhere thats why i am considering it...and yea im kind of on the fence about the modular thing..at first i didnt care but then the more i was looking for a psu i decided i want one but now idk..this is my first full build from scratch and ive never even purchased a case before..i dont need a crazy case and i read lots of reviews and the 300r def seems to be a good bang for your buck case.. and the cable management is ok i guess and i just want it to be clean inside the case and like i said this being my first full build idk how it would go with a normal psu seeing as how im only gonna be using the motherboard connectors, and two or three sata connectors so there will be a lot of unused wiring to try and hide?

idk please if anyone has and comments about this topic or other psus to suggest let me know.. thanks