PSU QUESTIOIN

mohaf

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hello,
Its been a while since I put together a machine. I bought this Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9400 SLB6B 2.66 GHz, MSI G41M-P34 MOBO, 8GB DDR3-1333 PC RAM, PNY VERTO 210 @ 1GIG , oh BTW, HITACHI 320 GIG 7200 RPM SATA 3.0.
With above specs, still undecided about PSU? Could you please advise on PSU?

P.S. I posted this earlier, under CPU ranking, however, I needed advise on PSU. :pt1cable:

Solution

All the extra four pins do is provide a few extra amps on 3.3/5/12V rails but are practically vestigial in nature. Now that the CPU and GPU have their own direct 12V feeds (PCIe and ATX12V power connectors) and most of what used to be add-in cards is now integrated in the chipset or CPU, the motherboard power connector does not need to provide anywhere near as much 3.3V/5V/12V power to add-in boards and CPU regulators as they used to.

If your motherboard has a 8pin ATX12V connector and your PSU only has a 4pin cable...

mohaf

Honorable
May 29, 2012

rolli59, I have this a noisy ULTRA 600 WATTS ATX PSU that I can pull from older system, would you think that's an overkill?

mohaf

Honorable
May 29, 2012
This PSU is the old 20 pin mobo power connector, whereas, my mobo is newer 24 pin female, found this adapter /extension male to female. You wouldn't think 20 to 24 pin conversion will do anything with power output?

InvalidError

Titan

All the extra four pins do is provide a few extra amps on 3.3/5/12V rails but are practically vestigial in nature. Now that the CPU and GPU have their own direct 12V feeds (PCIe and ATX12V power connectors) and most of what used to be add-in cards is now integrated in the chipset or CPU, the motherboard power connector does not need to provide anywhere near as much 3.3V/5V/12V power to add-in boards and CPU regulators as they used to.

If your motherboard has a 8pin ATX12V connector and your PSU only has a 4pin cable, you simply plug the 4pin cable in. The 8pin cable is not necessary unless you want to go for extreme overclocks.

Solution