Sign in with
Your question

Need help with AX3470-EB10P

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2012 5:10:43 PM

The PSU with this system is only 220. I will only use this for web browsing with 10-20 pages open at once. NO games-no movies.
Is that enough power ?
I have a Powerlink LPK2 -30 sitting around that I could swap but I don't know if it's compatible.

Thanks

More about : ax3470 eb10p

February 12, 2012 5:42:57 PM

It depends on what you mean by enough.

As long as you don't try to add any hardware to this computer, the PSU that comes with it should probably be good enough.

The way the OEM computer makers like Acer do things is to generally just give you as much wattage as you can reasonably use and no more.

The PSUs degrade over time through regular usage and they are only going to give you a warranty for maybe 1 year on it. Basically, their goal is to give you a PSU that will work for 12 months and 1 day.

The PSU in order to beat that mark pretty much every time, the PSU they will give you one that will probably make it for 2 years or maybe 3. Maybe 5 if you are nice to it and the environmental conditions are ideal.

Consider your days to be numbered in any event.

A replacement PSU would run about $42ish after rebates and would likely be good for at least 5 more years on top of that.

- Edit -

I neglected to address the Powerlink PSU thing. It should be pretty clear when you get the PC whether the Powerlink PSU will fit inside the case. You can just look at the back of the PC and look at the back of the PSU and see if they are the same or not. I am going to hazard a guess that the internal cables will work either way and the biggest problem will be fitting it in physically.

However, that does not mean you will experience any increase in performance if you make the switch and doing so could void the warranty you have on your other parts. I would leave the 220w in there until something is wrong with the computer and only then consider your current warranty status and think about trying the Powerlink in it.

Keep in mind, though, that mechanical components deteriorate over time even if they aren't used (some would say especially if they aren't used) and it is reasonably likely that by the time the 220w bites the dust so will the Powerlink one even if you just leave it in a box.

It could work like a charm when you plug it in 3 years from now or not. I would keep it around in case it does work, but it shouldn't be looked at as something you can rely on.
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:12:03 PM

Raiddinn said:

As long as you don't try to add any hardware to this computer, the PSU that comes with it should probably be good enough.

The way the OEM computer makers like Acer do things is to generally just give you as much wattage as you can reasonably use and no more.

The PSUs degrade over time through regular usage and they are only going to give you a warranty for maybe 1 year on it. Basically, their goal is to give you a PSU that will work for 12 months and 1 day.

The PSU in order to beat that mark pretty much every time, the PSU they will give you one that will probably make it for 2 years or maybe 3. Maybe 5 if you are nice to it and the environmental conditions are ideal.

A replacement PSU would run about $42ish after rebates and would likely be good for at least 5 more years on top of that.

- Edit -

I neglected to address the Powerlink PSU thing. It should be pretty clear when you get the PC whether the Powerlink PSU will fit inside the case. You can just look at the back of the PC and look at the back of the PSU and see if they are the same or not. I am going to hazard a guess that the internal cables will work either way and the biggest problem will be fitting it in physically.

However, that does not mean you will experience any increase in performance if you make the switch and doing so could void the warranty you have on your other parts. I would leave the 220w in there until something is wrong with the computer and only then consider your current warranty status and think about trying the Powerlink in it.

Keep in mind, though, that mechanical components deteriorate over time even if they aren't used (some would say especially if they aren't used) and it is reasonably likely that by the time the 220w bites the dust so will the Powerlink one even if you just leave it in a box.

It could work like a charm when you plug it in 3 years from now or not. I would keep it around in case it does work, but it shouldn't be looked at as something you can rely on.

Thanks Raiddinn- that answer hits the spot:) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 3:07:58 PM

Raiddinn said:

- Edit -

I have this ax3470-EB30P on my desk. It runs with about 75 watts draw at 110volts. The powersupply is therefore adequately rated. The powersupply has a mini-fan to force air through the powersupply chassis. Every 6 months I will check it out, and make certain it is spinning and lint free. My office is very very clean, compared to many places, with almost no dust accumulation. I expect the PS, with a functioning fan, to last a good 10 years, longer than I will keep the unit.
m
l
!