Foxconn motherboard p4m900-8237a Will it handle a dvi card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwbundy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I have a Foxconn P4M900-8237A motherboard. I added a sound card because after upgrading to four GB of RAM the on board sound would not work. Can I add a DVI card to the board? I want to use two monitors that are independent of each other to work on video editing.

Solution
One thing to note is that you will have to plug both monitors into the dedicated video card. You should also watch what connectors are on them. DVI or HDMI connections produce noticeably better pictures and DVI-I (and DVI-A) can be adapted to a standard VGA connection if needed. Any low-end PCI-e card should be enough of an improvement that you won't want to use the on board video anymore.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Foxconn doesn't list that as an actual motherboard, but I don't see why you couldn't do that. The easiest way to get a 100% check is to find a video card you can borrow from somewhere. You might also be able to find something with a guarantee of working where you can take it back without a restocking fee (e.g. Newegg VGA Standard Return Policy).

Once you go to dual monitors for doing work, it's hard to go back. You'll also get some performance benefits from flash acceleration, video playback filters/acceleration, and some RAM back from your on board video.

What is the make/model of your Power supply?

What available lanes do you have on the board?(PCI,PCI-E,etc.)

If your board supports it you can get a discrete GPU for DVI and use dual monitors from the card.Note that you cannot use the onboard GPU and the discrete GPU at the same time if you were thinking of it that way.Most discrete GPU's today can natively support 2 monitors.

fwbundy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Thanks jbo112,
I will take it into consideration. This is all new to me so I am a little squemish about doing some things but no pain no gain.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
One thing to note is that you will have to plug both monitors into the dedicated video card. You should also watch what connectors are on them. DVI or HDMI connections produce noticeably better pictures and DVI-I (and DVI-A) can be adapted to a standard VGA connection if needed. Any low-end PCI-e card should be enough of an improvement that you won't want to use the on board video anymore.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.