Bizarre screen problem

Ok, my main screen stopped working while i was using the computer. It now only turns on for a SPLIT second (long enough to see whats on the screen, but only just)

I tried a spare monitor, same problem.

I tried both monitors on my laptop (this machine), same problem

I tried buying a new cable (SVGA) and tried it with both screens, on both machines, same problem.

I tried moving to a different power outlet, both cables, both machines, same problem.

I cannot fathom what this could possibly be. The only idea i have is that somehow my main computer has shorted out both monitors as i have plugged them in, which is the only explination i can come up with as to why they are both suffering the problems on both machines.

Can anyone shed some light (har har) on this situation?

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about bizarre screen problem
  1. Usually that is a Power Supply failure in the Monitor itself... weird that they both went... but if the issue occurs on 2 different PC's, then it is a fault in the monitors. Not sure if your Desktop PC caused the problem, or if it was just bad timing. What kind of monitor are they?

If you take them apart you may see "blown caps" on the power supply board; the capacitors can be replaced if they are in fact bad, and it will fix the problem....
  2. One is a BenQ 24" and the other is an old 15" LCD that i was told was in working order y the friend i borrowed it from.

Do you really think both of them could have gone at exactly the same time? I find it very hard to believe tat the working 15" suddenly stopped when plugged into my computer with it being no fault of the computers.
  3. Ok, i wont let me edit the post for some reason.

I meant to say, the monitor is a BenQ G2411HDA 24" Widescreen LCD. The 15" one is a generic office one, cant even see a make on it.
  4. I have seen it with Dell's mostly... and some HP's... the fact that they are two different LCD's leads me to believe they were not the original problem(though they are probably dead now.) Your PC 'may' have fried them, but I have never heard of it... most likely is a malfunction in the outlet/surge protector or your electrical ni your house..

now... can you see anything on them..? sometimes the image is just REALLLY dim... using a flashlight can help you see the image...

I have no help as to what caused it or if it will happen with another LCD.... sorry.
  5. jdenova007 said:
    I have seen it with Dell's mostly... and some HP's... the fact that they are two different LCD's leads me to believe they were not the original problem(though they are probably dead now.) Your PC 'may' have fried them, but I have never heard of it... most likely is a malfunction in the outlet/surge protector or your electrical ni your house..

now... can you see anything on them..? sometimes the image is just REALLLY dim... using a flashlight can help you see the image...

I have no help as to what caused it or if it will happen with another LCD.... sorry.

Ok, i re tested the screens and my main 24" one worked! For about a minute or so, now its completely blank again (on both machines). Also, the screen appears to be powered on (its power light is green), just no picture. Would i be worth repairing? Or should i replace it (not sure if its under warrenty, but ive contacted the company i bought it from)

The 15" one however is, as you said, just very, very dim. Using a light i can see the screen, which is now telling me "Failed to boot from disk, please insert boot CD"

For that i'll need to go and download a recovery CD right?

And back to the original problem, it may have been that the 15" was just dim to begin with, i'll ty and get a hold of a screen that i can see working before i test it.

Other than that, anything else come to mind? Thanks for all the help.
  6. Do you have an old CRT monitor or TV? You could try to wire it up to your PC, cause CRT's use high voltage in themselves and there's no way a PC could fry a CRT, EVER. I'd use S-Video cable, if it's a TV.
  7. Maybe the 24" is under warranty... if not, I doubt its worth repairing... $150 will buy you a brand new one...

15" is shot.. dim display is hard to fix.

once you get the display issue resolved.... open a new problem question thing and ask in there. would need more information to answer it properly.
  8. jdenova007 said:
    Maybe the 24" is under warranty... if not, I doubt its worth repairing... $150 will buy you a brand new one...

15" is shot.. dim display is hard to fix.

once you get the display issue resolved.... open a new problem question thing and ask in there. would need more information to answer it properly.

Well, i got the PC working (one of the hard drive cables had come loose)

It was indeed the monitors after all. Thank you for all your help.

Now, a question about my broken monitor, at the moment it powers on fine, the screen goes bright purple with the white "BENQ ECT " writing appearing on the screen, it then just goes blank rather than working. (I just find it strange that this startup screen is working as usual, but the monitor is not)

I was just wondering if you might know whats wrong with it, if anything so that i can make sure im not being stupid, because i think its still under warranty, so id like to give them as much information as possible. That, and i'd like to avoid sending them a monitor that isnt actually faulty!
  9. Check the Input of the LCD... such as DVI or VGA... short of that, I don;t know what else to try... does it show picture ever..? like in the BIOS or anytime outside of windows?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Monitors Graphics