My first building: How do you think about this components?

rosamunda

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hi there,
I´m planning to build my first computer. I mean the firt one that I´m going to actually build all by myself.
I´ve read some excellent tips from the night school of lifehacker, and read some information from other sites and blogs aswell.

The thing is that I don´t know if the stuff that I´ve picked is compatible between each other, and if it is sufficiently powerful.
The heavy stuff that my machine usually does is video editing and some photoshop at the same time. And gaming, of course, but I´m not a "full-time-serious-gamer". Just a couple of need for speed, and call of duty now and then, but I want to put on this machine the latest versions.

I´ve slected this stuff and before buying, I would like to know your opinion:

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4Ehk
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4Ehk/by_merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE2-GP 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.62 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($337.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Sentey GS-6500 ATX Full Tower Case ($93.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $916.96

In my country this cost somewhat $2200 instead the 916 that pcpartpicket says. :ouch:

Anyway I couldn´t add to the list the power supply (because this model wasn´t in it): Sentey HPB 900 Modular (is 900w ok for this machine?).

And I´ve already have a monitor (wich wasn´t on the list either): Samsung SyncMaster BX1930. I also have a DVD, mouse, etc.

Is the mother ok? And how about the processor and the nvidia that I´ve chosen?
And most important, do they produce much noise?

I´ve also have a couple of case choices, they all come with 6 to 8 fans, and about seven bays to hard drives. How can I know if I´m going to be able to insert all that inside the motherboard? Are those extra fans attached to the mother? It comes with some external slots in the front to SD cards.

I´ve read that you have to check out processors´clockspeed and number of cores. I´ve selected Intel Core i5-2500 (3.36 Ghz) instead AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition.
The first one has more cores but less speed, and the second one has less cores and more speed. How can I check out wich one is the best?

I´ve read the charts about how well they do (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/compare,2433.html?prod%5B4788%5D=on&prod%5B4950%5D=on) and it seems that the Intel processor beats the AMD in almost every category.

Hope anyone can help me :)

THANKS!!
Rosamunda

xaira

Distinguished
for quicker renders you might want to get a harder cpu such as the 2600k and since you are a light gamer a softer gpu like the gtx 560 will be more suited to the rig and be less stressful on the psu,

another thing is the memory, you may want to go for a 16gb kit for this rendering rig

8 gig should be fine, but since memory is soo cheap, might as wel just stack it on

EzioAs

Distinguished
The psu is also important. Go with either corsair, seasonic or antec. They all have good power supplies at different price from low to high end. A high quality psu can last longer, and does not blow up and damage your other components afterwards. 600W and above will be fine for this build

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

OCZ is pretty reliable too. And other companies have a few exceptions.