Dell XPS 700 w/ GTX 470, 2.2 GHz. Core 2 Duo want to upgrade to Quad

As the title says, I have a Dell XPS 700 with stock everything except the graphics card, it was upgraded to an EVGA GTX 470. It has 4 GB of RAM and right now it's a stock 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo; sifting through the Dell forums I see the best possible card to upgrade to is the QX6800 Quad Core 2.9 GHz and safely OC to 3.4~ GHz.

Among my options is also a Q6600 2.4 GHz, which I suppose I could clock to 2.6 GHz~

And therein lies my question, the QX6800 is $220 and the Q6600 is $85, the main reason I'm upgrading is to kind of stop the bottlenecking (or reduce it).

How big of a difference would there be between these two processors? And is it worth the additional $140?

I'm not looking to completely build a new system and shell out $1000+ for a minimally faster PC, I stumbled upon the CPU upgrade and thought an 80-200 upgrade would serve me well.

Also, what kind of difference can I expect (gaming wise) when jumping to a quadcore?

I just want to use this system for FFXIV and maybe GW2, etc.

TL;DR QX6800 worth it over Q6600 and what can I expect from upgrading from a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo (3D mark score, Frame rate ,etc)

Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: Also, as for experience, I tore down my old computer (a Dell from 2008ish) completely, took every part out (including the CPU) and replaced it and everything still worked fine. For this upgrade, I'm assuming it shouldn't be difficult, was thinking of using MX-4 Thermal paste for the new CPU but is there anything else I should be concerned about? The XPS is considerably larger than the computer I tore apart.
2 answers Last reply
More about dell core upgrade quad
  1. Anyone? D:
  2. $220 for the QX is way too much if you consider that for $300 you could get a much faster i5-3450 (~$180) + h77 motherboard (~$80) + 8GB RAM (~$40) or even an i5-3570k + z77 motherboard if you can get that Microcenter deal ($50 off the 3570k and motherboard) many people here mention on a regular basis.

Most games show very little improvement going from two cores to three and usually even less from three to four so in most cases, you would be better off with a higher-clocked dual-core CPU (say E8600) than a slower quad.

I have an E8400 in my current PC and I would say it is not worth investing any more in it, the platform and upgrades/replacement parts for it are just too expensive for what little benefit I would gain from it compared to spending the same amount on a new platform.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dell Studio Xps Core