Sign in with
Your question

Freezing during gameplay

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2011 5:31:06 PM

Hey all,

This problem has been ongoing for months and I need to get it solved bc it is frustrating me to no end and I want interruption free gaming.

The specs:

i7 920 @ stock speed
ASUS P6T mobo
XFX HD 6950 1 gig
6 gig of Gskill 1600 DDR3

The issue:

While gaming, and gaming only, the audio will start to blur and the screen starts to hiccup and then freezes, requiring a hard reboot to fix.

Originally happen on an XFX 5970. Sent the card in for RMA and it was deemed faulty. While waiting on a replacement, i bought an XFX 4850. Put that in and it worked no problem. Received the replacement 6950 and boom same problem. After hard rebooting, the problem goes away.

Temperature seems a bit high...79 cel at 39% usage while playing starcraft, but that doesnt explain the restart fixing the problem/
Any ideas??

More about : freezing gameplay

a c 147 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 5:41:12 PM

what is your PSU?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 5:47:36 PM

You are describing the classic signs of a heat and/or power problem?

First, we need the make and model of your power supply.

Second, how are your system temperatures at idle and under load?

Third, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, or memory)? If so, set all back to stock speeds.

Please clarify.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2011 5:54:14 PM

COLGeek said:
You are describing the classic signs of a heat and/or power problem?

First, we need the make and model of your power supply.

Second, how are your system temperatures at idle and under load?

Third, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, or memory)? If so, set all back to stock speeds.

Please clarify.

ill have to check on the psu...its 750 watts and i believe Antec but i need to double check.

Right now under 38% load temp is at 78 cel while playing starcraft 2.

nothing is overclocked. GPU clock is 800 mhz and memory clock is 1250 mhz
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 6:01:19 PM

78C is pretty warm. Is that the CPU or GPU?
m
l
December 14, 2011 6:08:17 PM

COLGeek said:
78C is pretty warm. Is that the CPU or GPU?

thats the gpu. cpu is 40ish
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 6:12:25 PM

That means the GPU is getting hotter under higher load and is likely the problem. You need to check your airflow and adjust if needed (moves cables and obstructions, make sure fans are actually working, evict any hairballs and dust bunnies, etc).

This can also be the sign of a failing PSU. When PSUs start to fail, they provide uneven power to devices and can generate more heat than usual. The GPU is particularly sensitive to these issues.

How old is your PSU?
m
l
December 14, 2011 6:13:03 PM

COLGeek said:
That means the GPU is getting hotter under higher load and is likely the problem. You need to check your airflow and adjust if needed (moves cables and obstructions, make sure fans are actually working, evict any hairballs and dust bunnies, etc).

This can also be the sign of a failing PSU. When PSUs start to fail, they provide uneven power to devices and can generate more heat than usual. The GPU is particularly sensitive to these issues.

How old is your PSU?

PSU is only 2 years old.
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 6:24:18 PM

Check your airflow and fans. Make sure the rear fan is sucking hot air out of the case (exhausting it to the rear) and that your front and side (as applicable) fans are pulling cool air into the case. All about having a nice airflow through the system.

BTW, depending on the actual make/model of your PSU, it may actually be time for a new one.
m
l
December 14, 2011 6:29:07 PM

COLGeek said:
Check your airflow and fans. Make sure the rear fan is sucking hot air out of the case (exhausting it to the rear) and that your front and side (as applicable) fans are pulling cool air into the case. All about having a nice airflow through the system.

BTW, depending on the actual make/model of your PSU, it may actually be time for a new one.

this is the psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is my case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 6:39:27 PM

Cooling should not be an issue. Power should be okay as well.

Pay close attention to the heatsink/fan on your GPU to ensure the fan is working properly. Are you monitoring your fan speeds? If not, get Speccy from http://www.piriform.com/speccy and see how your fans are doing. You can also use speedfan and hwmonitor as well.
m
l
December 14, 2011 6:51:06 PM

COLGeek said:
Cooling should not be an issue. Power should be okay as well.

Pay close attention to the heatsink/fan on your GPU to ensure the fan is working properly. Are you monitoring your fan speeds? If not, get Speccy from http://www.piriform.com/speccy and see how your fans are doing. You can also use speedfan and hwmonitor as well.

CCC doesnt control fans well so i use msi afterburner. It still freezes tho.

I dont understand why it worked fine with the 4850 but not the other two. It boggles my mind...either way i need to get this fixed bc i cant reliably game on this pc :( 

When i had the problems with the first 5970...i saw there was issues with switching between 2d and 3d mode (i.e. alt tabbing to windows) and the clocks causing a problem...any thoughts there?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 7:08:42 PM

Starting to wonder is the motherboard might be an issue, particularly the PCIe slot that the GPU is in. Was the motherboard the "common denominator" with all 2 GPUs?
m
l
December 14, 2011 7:09:51 PM

COLGeek said:
Starting to wonder is the motherboard might be an issue, particularly the PCIe slot that the GPU is in. Was the motherboard the "common denominator" with all 2 GPUs?

yeah only thing that changed was the vid cards...i thought it was overclocking i had done but i put all back to stock speed and it still happens....should i try a diff pci slot?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 7:15:12 PM

You can try that, but typically, one of your PCIe x16 slots is the "primary" slot and the one the mobo expects to find a GPU in for best performance. If you install in another slot, your GPU may only operate at x8 speed. The performance difference will be smaller than you might think, but you should be aware of the possibility.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 7:29:32 PM

if you're not using the ATI sound through HDMI I would uninstall the driver. It could be interfering with the on board sound causing conflicts.
m
l
December 14, 2011 7:47:13 PM

COLGeek said:
You can try that, but typically, one of your PCIe x16 slots is the "primary" slot and the one the mobo expects to find a GPU in for best performance. If you install in another slot, your GPU may only operate at x8 speed. The performance difference will be smaller than you might think, but you should be aware of the possibility.

Aside from switching slots, what else do you suggest?

swifty_morgan said:
if you're not using the ATI sound through HDMI I would uninstall the driver. It could be interfering with the on board sound causing conflicts.

Thats a good point. I'm just using the onboard audio from the motherboard. How do I go about uninstalling ATI's sound driver?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 8:04:58 PM

you can try uninstalling from the device manager but windows my seek it out on boot up and reinstall.......... you can uninstall the AMD drivers you installed when you added the card. reboot and do a custom install. then when prompted...... do not install the sound driver.......... or anything else that you think you may not need.
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 14, 2011 10:58:59 PM

You can simply disable the HDMI audio in COntrol PanelSystem. Just right click on the device and select disable.

If the slot is wonky AND under warranty, then RMA it. If not under warranty, use another slot until ready to buy a new mobo. The performance hit, if any, will be small.
m
l
December 14, 2011 11:51:55 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you can try uninstalling from the device manager but windows my seek it out on boot up and reinstall.......... you can uninstall the AMD drivers you installed when you added the card. reboot and do a custom install. then when prompted...... do not install the sound driver.......... or anything else that you think you may not need.

k

COLGeek said:
You can simply disable the HDMI audio in COntrol PanelSystem. Just right click on the device and select disable.

If the slot is wonky AND under warranty, then RMA it. If not under warranty, use another slot until ready to buy a new mobo. The performance hit, if any, will be small.

I'll try changing the slots and see if that does the trick along with disabling the HDMI audio, and then I'll report back.

The motherboard still has one year left remaining on its warranty.

Thanks for all of the help.
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:05:01 PM

disabled the hdmi audio...fingers crossed
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 15, 2011 1:18:07 PM

Standing by to assist, if needed....
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:33:20 PM

COLGeek said:
Standing by to assist, if needed....

hdmi audio did not fix it. Opened up the pc and discovered the GPU was in PCI x16 slot 2 and not number one. Switched slots and reinstalling the drivers. Here goes nuttin
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 15, 2011 1:54:55 PM

stslimited84 said:
hdmi audio did not fix it. Opened up the pc and discovered the GPU was in PCI x16 slot 2 and not number one. Switched slots and reinstalling the drivers. Here goes nuttin

Not terribly surprised. Was worth checking it out.

How are you now?
m
l
December 15, 2011 2:24:02 PM

COLGeek said:
Not terribly surprised. Was worth checking it out.

How are you now?

well so far so good, but im not convinced yet. It normally does it after a cold boot, and it froze before switching slots so i had to hard reset it.

i need to let it sit for a while and then find out....but we're good atm
m
l
!