Sign in with
Your question

Extreme Budget HTC/Living room pc $250

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2012 9:55:11 PM

Purchase Feb 25th 2012
Budget $200-$250
USE Home Theatre/Music Server/Internet Browsing/Very Light gaming
Parts Not Needed.... Keyboard mouse Headset Speakers Monitor GPU (reusing an Radeon HD5450 and probably using the integrated on the Intel cpu), dvd/blueray, harddrive

US
Microcenter and NewEgg Prefered
No Parts Preference
Resolution 1080P for theatre use on a 47inch through hdmi 1280x1024 on a 15inch
No overclocking

Quiet preferred-keeping core i5 and a better graphics card open down the road

Just for grins lets do this in a different order than everyone else seems to.

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2 430 Watt ATX
Spoiler
(everyone loves corsair it seems and its not much more expensive to save on all the whining here)

ECS H61H2-M2 LGA 1155 H61 mATX Intel Motherboard
Spoiler
(where I am most worried really going cheap here low on features and not sure about the h61 chipset)

Intel Pentium G620 LGA 1155 Boxed Processor
Spoiler
Will probably eventually pop an I-5 in it but for the momment its just spending extra money for something it probably won't use. Since it will just be running videos off of harddrive, and windows media light show at get togethers

Micro Center 4GB DDR3-1333

Rosewill RC-411 Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps

I am a little concerned with the power supply not being quite big enough with 2 optical drives 2 hard drives and a discrete gpu and network card.
Total cost $219.03 after tax. This will mostly be used for watching movies on off of Hulu/NetFlix/Blueray, will be pulling some movies off of it through the network on occasion, internet browsing with the girlfriend, (she likes me to be there and talk while she's watching tv, which is why this will also be used for some other light gaming.
February 12, 2012 10:17:36 PM

the psu is plenty

The mb has a network adapter . Do you need two? Why?

Get a better mb . Some of the Asrock models are great value

If you can get an i3 2100 . Hyperthreading just has to be some advantage
February 12, 2012 10:21:35 PM

In the past have usually connected in my hometheatre pc/server as a sandbox/hardware firewall between my Cable Modem and router (used to just have a switch as well so it acted as a router), This allows me to have unpack download files there, and makes it possible for some of my home network to be accessed while on the road while keeping the other 2/3rds more secure. Probably could take it out and save the $12 but just used to ensuring dual ethernet in my computers that I did it almost without thinking.
Related resources
February 12, 2012 11:33:32 PM

If you plan on replacing the CPU id just get the g530 for $52. I just built an office pc with it and its completely fast enough for HTPC purposes and light gaming.

H61 series don't overclock, but if you don't even plan to then its fine.
February 12, 2012 11:58:02 PM

Mrbumbum said:
If you plan on replacing the CPU id just get the g530 for $52. I just built an office pc with it and its completely fast enough for HTPC purposes and light gaming.

H61 series don't overclock, but if you don't even plan to then its fine.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
$49.99 for the slightly faster pentium not sure about the I5 or I7 down the road as they drop in price one of those where I may be tossing it in down the road if I can pick one up cheap as I get people having computers with them they are essentially giving to me because I am upgrading them for them or building them a new unit.

Its a case of I can get pentium 4s and Ds fairly regularly now for free, or at most $20 as long as I don't mind taking them out of whatever system they are in covered in dust and so forth.... I pretty much assume that in 2 or 3 years I'll probably be seeing core I5's and I7's the same way.
February 13, 2012 1:01:29 AM

vrumor said:
Think you might be better off going with a CPU/GPU/mini itx board combo. Newegg has one from Foxconn thatll be perfect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also they sell an 85w power supply for use with applications like yours for $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Slap an SSD on it or a SATA HDD and you have yourself a nice HTPC thatll fit in just about anything with some mods :) 

Not a terrible idea I'm not saving much though when it comes down to it. The electric is probably the most significant, and I am loosing a decent bit of processor and not sure I am getting that much more graphics card. Its a thought in some ways it comes down to personal preference on that. I would also lose 1080p as the e350 doesn't support it.
!