Need help Making GFX card choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I currently have taken a side project of building a old q6600 on a p5k deluxe. I received all the parts for free so it has been worth it. I currently have a 5750 in there and am looking to upgrade. the mobo only supports 16x pcie so basically limited to the bandwidth of pcie2 8x. Ive got the possessor oc'd to 3.3 stable any higher and i need to crank the vcore up so much just is not worth it for a 24/7 oc. So im looking to push this possessor to its limits and was wondering which graphics card should i purchase for getting the last/most out of this setup. I am gaming at 1920x1080. Also only have 4gb of micron value ram. psu is corsair tx 750. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a 560 ti or 570 gtx, or for radeon 6950 or 6970. I know my CPU will be the bottleneck just want to know out of these cards would be my best choice.

Solution
I never like the term "bottleneck" which implies that a stronger graphics card can somehow make your gaming go slower. A better card will ALWAYS get you better fps, but you will get diminishing returns if your cpu is weak.

In this case, your 750w psu can support a graphics card as good as a GTX590, not that I would recommend that.

Do not worry about the pcie-X16 speed. Only the very strongest cards are slowed down by pci-e speeds, and not in a meaningful way.

I think your plan for GTX560ti/GTX570 class cards is ok and appropriate for 1080P gaming.
As you already stated those cards will get bottlenecked by your CPU so I wouldn't even choose one of them,espically not a 6970 or GTX570.

I'd say the best you can get without causing a bottleneck would be a 6850.It's roughly double the performance of a 5750 and it's a really nice mid range card.

I never like the term "bottleneck" which implies that a stronger graphics card can somehow make your gaming go slower. A better card will ALWAYS get you better fps, but you will get diminishing returns if your cpu is weak.

In this case, your 750w psu can support a graphics card as good as a GTX590, not that I would recommend that.

Do not worry about the pcie-X16 speed. Only the very strongest cards are slowed down by pci-e speeds, and not in a meaningful way.

I think your plan for GTX560ti/GTX570 class cards is ok and appropriate for 1080P gaming.

Solution

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Not to worried about swapping it over, this is my third setup lol my first two consist of a 2600k(4.8) paired wit 2x 580gtx and second system is i5 760(3.8) with a single 570 gtx. Im pretty much just building this rig to give to my brother and have no intentions on carrying anything over to another pc. $$ is not the issue just want to get the best card i can with the least amount of diminishing returns!

+1
I've been always saying in this forum that achieving higher FPS with a particular CPU is different than a real "Bottleneck". As long as a CPU is handling the game, no worries at all. And we've seen that till the current moment some high end games are more than playable on 2 cores.

With the exception for some games like Skyrim, such games prefer a faster CPU but it's still playable @ any speed with decent FPS @ ultra settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.