GTX 560, 570, HD6950 2GB or should I wait?

Jackofspades0

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month or next.

USAGE: Gaming.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:Nvidia GTX 260 with a 2 year old Cooler Master 550W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom II X 945 3.0 GHz CPU. 4 GB DDR3 memory. Two PCIe X16 slot (can be used for Xfire, apparantly not for SLI...). One 500GB Seagate hard drive. My case has two 120mm fans, one on the front blowing air against the graphics card (probably not a good thing since it stops the air for circulating through the case) and one at the back next to the CPU.

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: www.takealot.co.za It's a South-African site.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Might prefer a Radeon card since it will allow me to add another card later in Xfire mode. Not really important though.

OVERCLOCKING: Might overclock it a bit.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe later... but probably not.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my GTX 260 to something that will be able to handle new games at max settings for a while to come. Basically I've looked at the GTX 560 but decided it might be a good idea to get a better card, since games like Deus Ex and the upcoming MS Flight recommends a GTX 560 and I would like something that's a bit above the recommended requirments for these games. It would also be nice if it can play Crysis on very high with 4xAA.

So basically I'm thinking about getting an HD6950 2GB or a GTX 570 (any other suggestions are welcome). I've read somewhere that a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 would do better with a 2GB memory card. Does this mean the HD6950 is a better option? My GTX 260 ons has something like 896 MB and it's doing OK... What I'd also like to know is if there's any cards on the horizon that might be worth waiting for and delay the upgrade for a while? This might be risky because my parents might not be willing enough to buy me a new card anymore in a few months time :p

Thanks a lot.

DM186

Splendid

Any Resolution under 1920 x 1200 using more than 1gb is a waste unless you are going to be running two or more monitors where the extra ram will come in handy and in the fucture when you decide run in higher resolution then get it now. Here is another thread that is talking about the same thing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336307-33-6950

Good luck

^+1

Unless gaming at very high resolutions, the 1GB version of the HD6950 or GTX 560ti are sufficient. The 2 GB frame buffer is more of a marketing gimmick to get folks to pay for the higher priced models but game testing shows there is very little difference between 1GB and 2GB performance at 1080p resolutions.

Multi monitor and very large displays such as 30inches are where the 2gb memory really comes into play.

A GTX 570 would be recommended for maxing out all eye candies for BF3 and other games that are very graphics intensive. Mainly BF3 for right now. So if you want to stay ahead of the game, I'd go with the HD6970, or GTX 570/580. Go with nVdida for 3D, go with AMD for multi-monitor.