Sign in with
Your question

XFX 6950 CNFC Flash to 6970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2011 7:04:40 PM

Hello, i purchased the XFX 6950 CNFC yesterday, and have been told i can unlock this card to a 6970. After research i found out that this card has a locked bios etc.

I used Radeon BIOS Editor and loaded the bios that my card currently has. The option where it says 6950, and 6970, it is not greyed out, and in theory i can flash it, i think D:

So i am asking, will this work? What is the chance of success, what is the worst that can happen, is there anyway i can recover if all goes wrong

Thank you !
December 14, 2011 7:10:45 PM

If this card doesn't have a dual bios switch next to the crossfire connector then you're taking a big risk. You can easily make this card into a worthless paper weight.

Just keep that in mind. People like to talk big about these things when they aren't the ones spending hard earned money. I have 3x sapphire 6950s all unlocked to 6970...but those cards come with the dual switch and the bios is preloaded.
m
l
December 14, 2011 7:21:27 PM

Yeah thats the thing, but theres a method to check if my card can flash, which is go to cmd, get into atiwinflash exe, and type ATIWinflash -unlockrom 0

If the card cannot flash it would give you an error, but instead it started "flashing a bios", obviously i did not put a bios in flashing, so nothing was flashed, but the process worked and no error was given

Also there is a method of putting the 6950 in the second pci slot, and a working card in the first? and flash normal bios afterwards?
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2011 7:32:37 PM

I am currently in the process of trying to unlock an XFX 6950 2GB, although it's not quite the same as your model: I have www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681415054... .

I was unable to flash the BIOS using Winflash. I actually did not get any errors using Winflash, but it did nothing. Using GPU-z, though, I could tell that nothing was happening. So even if Winflash doesn't give an error code, it might not be doing anything. You might have to try ATIflash instead from a bootable USB.

I was able to flash the BIOS (to the 6970 shaders and a slight overclock) using ATIflash from a bootable USB key. However, once I did that, although I didn't brick the card, Windows did not boot properly. I had to reflash to the original BIOS and also use system restore in Windows 7 to get it to boot again.

So, I am still in the process; I'm going to try it with just a mild overclock and no unlocked shaders (which are less important anyway). Anyway, I think the risk of totally destroying your card is not high as long as you're not stupid about it. Increasing your voltages is the biggest risk.
m
l
December 14, 2011 7:45:11 PM

Thank you for your reply, still debating, im too worried that the worst possible outcome will occur to me
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:35:09 AM

I have a MSI6950 2frozrII 2GB. It runs @1015/1484 max @1.3volts (btw MIS AB is designed in a way you will not corrupt the card when its not overheating...so the 1.3v is not out of range for this card. 24/7 i can run 975/1450 @75-80c (volt regltr tops @84c) ...so no unlock needed...I;m already using all the juice the card can provide and in this state the HD6950 is maxed without being abused by the slighlty different 6970 bios...just by me :)  f.e 24000 GPU score in 3d vantage and p6000+ in 3d11

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3461128
m
l
December 15, 2011 7:21:42 AM

I say its still a risk without the dual BIOS switch. I'd hate to brick my shiny new $250 card, then try to return it and say, "Oh no. I didn't do anything to the BIOS like those other 5000 people before me. Honest."
m
l
December 15, 2011 5:05:34 PM

I flashed my reference card which I bought back when they came out. Mine is an asus card so it was also locked but it still worked w/o need of the bios switch.
Despite the slight risk in a non-reference model, i'd still say go for it.

It's more just for being able to say you have a 6970 though cause there's definitely a difference but it's not huge. The biggest difference is just sliding the power bar in ccc up all the way. it makes ur card hotter but way faster.
m
l
!