New build keeps rebooting!!! please help!!

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
hi all

so i finished putting together my first build, and after installing windows (had to update my ocz agility 3's firmware to do it without bsod's)
my computer keeps rebooting randomly, no rythm or reason, i checked all my connections, downloaded my drivers, ran memtest and chkdsk and found no issues there.

i did however check my logs and found the following critical errors

kernel-power 41

and also bugtest 1001 seems to be the cause according to the logs

my question is, what causes this problem? and how can i resolve it?

i really want to just get down and start using my comp but these issues make it unusable, happens anytime i do anything, had to attempt several times to download my drivers due to this problem, its very unmanagable

here is my build

i5 2500k
asus p8z68-v/gen3
2x4gb gskill snipers 1600
ocz agility 3 (firmware 2.15)
ocz modstream zt series 750W psu
XFX HD Radeon 6870
rosewill blackhawk
cooler master hyper 212 evo
lg dvd burner

any suggestions? and thanks in advance

Solution

ltdan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
This is a quote taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Scenario 3 The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang)
The Stop error code and the PowerButtonTimestamp are listed as zero. For example, consider the following scenarios:
The Stop error BugcheckCode value is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the Stop error BugcheckCode information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a BugcheckCode value of zero is logged. Also, perhaps no Stop error occurred, and the shutdown resulted from a power loss. For example, on a portable computer, this could mean that the battery is removed or completely drained. Or, on a desktop computer, this could mean that the computer was unplugged, or a power outage occurred.
The PowerButtonTimestamp is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the PowerButtonTimestamp information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a value of zero is logged. This can occur if the power button is pressed and held for at least four seconds when Windows has an operation running that prevents writing the event to disk. You could also see this scenario if the computer was “Hard-locked” and therefore unresponsive to any input, and the computer had to be powered off. To determine whether the computer is unresponsive, you might try to press the CAPS LOCK key to toggle the CAPS light on the keyboard.
To check whether this scenario is occurring, press the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard. When you do this, if the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard does not change when you press the CAPS LOCK key, the computer may be completely unresponsive (hard hang).

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. Another possibility is that a driver may cause this problem. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Even though you checked the memory try putting one stick in. If the problem persists try another single stick. If the problem still persists try one stick in a different slot in the second channel and repeat with the second stick of the problem persists.

Confirm that the volatge of the ram is 1.5 and that the ram is seen in bios as 1.5

Solution

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Do you have another psu you could try just in case there is variability that you are not seeing?

Finally, you could do an external build to see if there is a short. You could also try a different video card or use the onboard video option (if there is one). I've had system do the same thing because of a bad VC.

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
well, i removed the second ram stick and let it run on 4 gb of ram and let it sit all night, when i checked it this morning it was still logged in so it did not reboot at all throughout the night.

it seems the stick was bad, but im going to go ahead and put the stick that i think is bad in the first slot so i can determine weather or not the b2 slot in the motherboard is faulty or if its just the stick

but im running stable on the single stick which means that the problem is most likely the RAM.

really glad that its not the PSU, because that was my first thought. ram is far less work then the psu
thanks for the advice, ill post my findings when i get home from work and test it

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

One thing that I've noticed is that running memory tests doesn't always define the issue. Please note that it is possible that one of the ram slots has an issue as well. If you have 4 slots (2 pairs) you can try using the other pair for both sticks as well to see if that makes a difference.

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
hmm, that sounds good, when i get off work ill try that first thing and see if the problem persists.

if the slot is bad then i wont have to return anything, though it will suck that my mobo has a bad slot but im not going to need more then 8 gigs of ram anyways, hopefully it will run stable, im anxious to go try this

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
ok, here is what i came up with,

i tryed using just the one ram stick that i thought bad in the a2 slot, and it ran fine, no reboots, so i thought maybe it was the slot.

so i took both sticks and put them in the a1 and b1 slots instead of a2 and b2, to see if it would run stable w/o rebooting and i got the same thing, common rebooting, but i recently noticed something when i had only the 1 stick in the a2 slot

i saw a little bit of artifacting when i was browsing the internet, very minor, nothing that seemed to effect anything, but it was there, however i would think that this would be caused by the GPU and not the ram correct?

after work im going to try the other stick and see if i still get artifacting, if i do then maybe all these problems are being caused by the GPU i would think.

but i still find it wierd that when either stick is used the system runs stable, that only when they are paired together does the system commonly reboot. i wouldnt know what would cause that, never heard of it

any suggestions or solutions?

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Figured it out. didnt have to to go through the hassel of RMA'ing the RAM

decided to plug both sticks in and check out the bios again

turns out cpu-z was showing the voltages at 1.5, but in the bios, the xmp auto setting had it set at 1.659, so i set it to manual and put it to 1.5 were it belongs, and now it runs like a champ.

not a single reboot or error all weekend, even under load

thanks for the help everyone