Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 550ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 14, 2011 7:08:48 PM

Hello all,

Recently I bought a GTX 550Ti for my pc as my original graphics card (Nvidia GT230) developed a problem where it would display everything with a blue tint. However I have discovered when playing games that suddenly my fps in games like Skyrim and Fable tlc have suddenly gone down for a period of time and back to normal, this process happens throughout. I also take longer to alt+tab 10-12 seconds.

Pc Specs:

Motherboard: Advent Centurion CQ9204
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50ghz
PSU: ISO (not completely sure what model) 420W
Video Card: ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti (I have found and updated to the latest drivers but not beta drivers)
Memory: 6GB

Any help would be much appreciated and if any more information is needed I will do my best to provide it.

More about : gtx 550ti

a b Î Nvidia
December 17, 2011 3:19:02 AM

Have you ever cleaned your system of resource wasting garbage that builds up over time and registry errors? If not, your system may be needing a good cleaning. Run CCleaner. Do the Clean and Registry both. Defrag. Reboot.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If that alone doesn't fix it, you may need to remove old graphics driver remnants that are conflicting with the new driver. Uninstall the existing Nvidia driver, reboot to Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper. Have it find and remove any remnants of Nvidia, AMD, and ATI graphics drivers it finds. Reboot and install the latest Nvidia graphics driver. Defrag.
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
December 17, 2011 5:09:14 AM

drivers can be a reason but your psu?, which brand do you have
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 17, 2011 5:11:00 AM

My guess would be the PSU also, we need more information on it please.
January 7, 2012 3:52:04 PM

Hi, Im almost 100% sure that it is your PSU, firstly (and this is just my thoughts) I also have recently purchased the Gefore 550ti and on the box it states that MINIMUM requirement for this specific graphics card is a 400W PSU, I'm speculating that your pc is under powered. Again this is just a thought.
:??: 
January 24, 2012 10:41:17 PM

hi would like to ask as well i too have a evga gtx 550 ti as i upgraded from gt210 graphics and i get bad frame rates when im playing crysis and cod my psu is only 300w i played them fine on low setting with my old graphics

pc specs are :
cpu :intel celeron dual core E3300 @2.5ghz
motherboard: G3 1T-M9
graphics card: EVGA nvidia gtx 550 ti-1 GB
ram: 2GB simmtronics 800mhz-1 stick
system: windows vista ultimate service pack 2

is it my psu? im am runnng other peripherals

a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2012 11:00:56 PM

firefox3258 said:
hi would like to ask as well i too have a evga gtx 550 ti as i upgraded from gt210 graphics and i get bad frame rates when im playing crysis and cod my psu is only 300w i played them fine on low setting with my old graphics

pc specs are :
cpu :intel celeron dual core E3300 @2.5ghz
motherboard: G3 1T-M9
graphics card: EVGA nvidia gtx 550 ti-1 GB
ram: 2GB simmtronics 800mhz-1 stick
system: windows vista ultimate service pack 2

is it my psu? im am runnng other peripherals

It's not the PSU. The symptoms you would get if your PSU was undersized would be shutdowns or reboots. A GTX 550 is just a low-mid range card. Maybe you're expecting too much from it. What resolution are you gaming at?
January 25, 2012 1:35:11 PM

clutchc said:
It's not the PSU. The symptoms you would get if your PSU was undersized would be shutdowns or reboots. A GTX 550 is just a low-mid range card. Maybe you're expecting too much from it. What resolution are you gaming at?




im playing mostly 1920x1080 but when it gets choppy i downgrade it to 1024x768 but even when i play straight away on 1024x768 i still have the problem i have evga presision and oc scanner
a b Î Nvidia
January 25, 2012 5:38:39 PM

firefox3258 said:
im playing mostly 1920x1080 but when it gets choppy i downgrade it to 1024x768 but even when i play straight away on 1024x768 i still have the problem i have evga presision and oc scanner

I just read a little more carefully and realized you have a 550ti. The ti takes you well into the mid-range of cards. But if those symptoms occur at 1024x768, you do indeed have a problem. Have you tried the cleaning procedure I recommended first?
If you want to check your PSU size, use a PSU calculator like this one. It will tell you if you are in trouble.
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ A decent quality 420W PSU should be enough for that card, though.

You may simply have a faulty card. Can you still RMA it?
January 26, 2012 1:07:44 PM

clutchc said:
I just read a little more carefully and realized you have a 550ti. The ti takes you well into the mid-range of cards. But if those symptoms occur at 1024x768, you do indeed have a problem. Have you tried the cleaning procedure I recommended first?
If you want to check your PSU size, use a PSU calculator like this one. It will tell you if you are in trouble.
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ A decent quality 420W PSU should be enough for that card, though.

You may simply have a faulty card. Can you still RMA it?

yes i can still rma it i bought it off pc world online because i dont sell it in the shop


and the psu caculater says i need a 325 watt psu and i have 300 watt but i dont how that could affect it
a b Î Nvidia
January 26, 2012 2:14:07 PM

firefox3258 said:
yes i can still rma it i bought it off pc world online because i dont sell it in the shop


and the psu caculater says i need a 325 watt psu and i have 300 watt but i dont how that could affect it

Can you read the PSU's name plate? How many amps on the +12V rail?
a b Î Nvidia
January 26, 2012 2:34:44 PM

According to articles I've read, the GTX 550ti idles around 140W. So the +12V rail would need to provide almost 12A just at idle. (140/12)
At peak load the GTX 55ti requires about 250W. At that power demand, the +12V rail would have to provide nearly 21A.
If your +12V rail isn't capable of that, it may be time to upgrade the PSU... even if the card does need to be RMA'd.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nv...
!