Sign in with
Your question

Ivy Bridge CPUs will die after 2 years?

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2012 12:23:30 PM

The cheap thermal paste inside would melt and kill the CPU soon or so I've heard? :??: 
a c 159 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 12:31:21 PM

No. Besides, Intel gives you a three year warranty if you don't overclock it. If you want to overclock your cpu, then you can purchase insurance for extra to keep your warranty intact: http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 1:04:55 PM

LoL no, but it will greatly limit overclocking though.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:16:23 PM

Yep.

A good general purpose CPU though ... very good in fact ... the best.

Just don't bother pushing it much beyond stock ... well at least this first batch.
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:35:03 PM

Intel should consider this, to force business to upgrade

Automakers do it
TV makers do it now
why not Intel

its horribly wrong, but it is capitalism at its finest, plus intel pretty much has a monopoly now
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:35:34 PM

KUR0KO said:
The cheap thermal paste inside would melt and kill the CPU soon or so I've heard? :??: 

Yes this is why they offer a 3yr warranty, because they all die after 2 yrs. :hello: 

The Mayans predicted 1000yrs ago that Ivy Bridge cpu's would die after 2yrs.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:41:54 PM

KUR0KO said:

The problem with that TIM only cause high temps but not dead CPUs, you can be sure that you CPU will work for long years (at least that you kill it)
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:49:43 PM

Well I did cane an E5300 at 4Ghz for over 18 mths and when I gave that mobo and cpu to a mate it was still going strong.

My Q6600 is still running at 3.2Ghz stock voltage and just flicked the FSB up after sticking better ram into it.

The Mayans predicted you would be president ...

:) 

Our 3800+ pc's in the shed are all overclocked and going after 4 years.

the X6 is still overclocked after 14 mths.

I only burned a few 2500+ bartons a few years ago ... and an XP1700 ... mind you I was a bit more agressive with the watercooling and such then.

The sandy bridge K are the best value.

the AMD X2's were poor overclockers by comparison in percentages compared to the core2 line.

FX's overclock well.

I probably shouldn't mention the Celery A300's ... or my 5X86160 !!!
heh heh heh ...
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 4:00:08 PM

Really two years? Since we are even offering the Intel® Performance Tuning Plan that will replace an overclocked processor for up to 3 year I guess we better double or triple the number of these processors that we are planning to make.

Where do people come up with these ideas?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 4:51:18 PM

lieeeee, no one know's how much ivy bridge cpu's will long last, it's depends on voltage the stock voltage with overclocking would be fine more than 10 years, but raising the voltage too much as a result reducing lifespan.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 4:56:00 PM

Although the IHS paste may not be as high-performance as some people might like, I doubt it is as 'cheap' as people say. Since it is non-serviceable (at least not without voiding the warranty), long-term chemical/mechanical stability would rank much higher than highest possible heat transfer.

m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 5:02:35 PM

Two year...ok keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile the people who actually have Ivy Bridges CPU's will contiune to use them for years.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 6:04:13 PM

Hi :) 

We had a customer come in one of my shops for a new machine about a week ago...as her old one was too slow...and we built it for her...

We built it in 1998 and it was a PENTIUM ONE 75 cpu with 16 mb of ram....the cpu cement was still fine after 14 years though... :) 

As a matter of interest , it cost her £1950 (custom built)

Her new machine cost her £699 (custom built)

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 6:18:35 PM

brett are you retailer?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 6:19:37 PM

xtreme5 said:
brett are you retailer?

Yes, I own a Computer company with shops in the UK , plus a Laptop repair company...

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 6:37:11 PM

A P54C (Pentium 75 - 100) had lower power consumption (8 Watt TDP) compaired to current processors (Ivy Bridge 77 Watts TDP) and only needed passive cooling, which ment the cooling compounds lasted for alot longer, even the computers lasted alot longer from that era, I remember building a custom P166 with 16Mb of ram for around £650, £1950 sound alittle rich and over the top.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 6:39:50 PM

hairystuff said:
A P54C (Pentium 75 - 100) had lower power consumption (8 Watt TDP) compaired to current processors (Ivy Bridge 77 Watts TDP) and only needed passive cooling, which ment the cooling compounds lasted for alot longer, even the computers lasted alot longer from that era, I remember building a custom P166 with 16Mb of ram for around £650, £1950 sound alittle rich and over the top.

Hi

Well apart from the fact my shops ARE expensive to buy from... parts cost a LOT more then...take my word...and dont forget we are RETAIL...so we like to make a profit.....got to pay for my V8 Porsches petrol :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 7:02:07 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes, I own a Computer company with shops in the UK , plus a Laptop repair company...

oh, good what is the name of your company give me a website?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 7:10:28 PM

xtreme5 said:
oh, good what is the name of your company give me a website?

Unfortunately when I started posting here to help others, I thought it would be unethical to promote my computer businesses as my advice would then be biased or tainted..

So I cannot , or rather will not name my companies...

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 7:42:28 PM

I've been building and fixing computers (laptops/pcs/sun/mac/sgi/commodore/atari) since 1992 and those were more expensive times for tech, I was more of a freelancer and didn't have a retail store so no over heads as for transport West Midlands Travel Pass was sufficient (I think busses came with v6's), parts sourcing was done through computer fairs, xenex tech or micromart if really desperate, but yeah I can understand overheads pushed ratail prices up but thats around 3x as much from the same year, I worked at a computer shop around 2000 and I think the markup was around 35-50% depending on build complexity and requirement, then again the shop where I worked was right next to a University so we had tons of volume in sales/repairs and data recovery.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 7:52:17 PM

My shops ARE expensive...we are actually proud of that :) 

On the other hand, we personally guarantee EVERYTHING we sell from them....we dont care about manufacturers guarantees,, WE guarantee the lot...

Every Custom machine we sell, we install for free (average install, including setting up networks, broadband, printers = 2 to 3 hours)

We also GIVE one years on site warranty on custom machines...NOT charge but give for free...

Now we must be doing something right as even my newest shop has been there for 15 years with no problems and several others near us keep going bust....

Although we are expensive, most of our customers come from personal recommendations...

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 8:18:52 PM

Well I don't work at the shop anymore but they offered pretty much what you offered like the home setups, 1 years onsite warrenty, internet connection setups (dial up at that time), free customer phone support (callback), and yes they had tons of customer recommendations (word of mouth is very powerful), we had pride in our workmanship and components used which translated to a very low failure rate and customer satisfaction.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 11:53:00 PM

Hi Brett

are you sure you sold a Pentium 1 75MHz in 1998 as Wiki showed it was obsolete by then ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocess...

was the PC older or CPU a higher spec ??

(I once used a special Pentium 75 overdrive which fitted into a 486 socket)

regards
Mike Barnes

m
l
May 31, 2012 12:02:59 AM

Brett do you have any shops in the west Midlands?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:08:27 AM

mercer95 said:
Brett do you have any shops in the west Midlands?

Nope, mine are in the South....

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2012 12:45:41 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Really two years? Since we are even offering the Intel® Performance Tuning Plan that will replace an overclocked processor for up to 3 year I guess we better double or triple the number of these processors that we are planning to make.

Where do people come up with these ideas?

where does intel come up with the idea that changing the material under the top to tim was a good idea? it was probably cheaper and over a large production run it would save intel a lot of money.... yeah yeah we know but intel is already loaded.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 1:59:49 AM

cbrunnem said:
where does intel come up with the idea that changing the material under the top to tim was a good idea? it was probably cheaper and over a large production run it would save intel a lot of money.....

Rare metal solder is very expensive, increases mechanical stresses from thermal cycling materials with different thermal expansion coefficients to which IB is likely more vulnerable due to higher aspect ratio, requires extra preparation (plating wafers and IHS with a compatible metal for soldering) and probably has a few more manufacturing inconvenients.

Intel's calculation here likely is that there is no point in incurring the additional production costs for soldered IHS when it is not necessary to operate the chips at their nominal ratings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2012 2:58:03 AM

InvalidError said:
Rare metal solder is very expensive, increases mechanical stresses from thermal cycling materials with different thermal expansion coefficients to which IB is likely more vulnerable due to higher aspect ratio, requires extra preparation (plating wafers and IHS with a compatible metal for soldering) and probably has a few more manufacturing inconvenients.

Intel's calculation here likely is that there is no point in incurring the additional production costs for soldered IHS when it is not necessary to operate the chips at their nominal ratings.

ummmmm.... did you not read what i said. i said the exact same thing as you... we do the same thing all the time at work because the clients want to cut costs and do care about the hassle it cause some people.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
May 31, 2012 3:18:58 AM

cbrunnem said:
did you not read what i said. i said the exact same thing as you...

The way you said it was ambiguous about whether you said it matter-of-factly or as whining. I was simply pointing out that there are more reasons than just cost-cutting to use paste.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2012 3:27:10 AM

InvalidError said:
The way you said it was ambiguous about whether you said it matter-of-factly or as whining. I was simply pointing out that there are more reasons than just cost-cutting to use paste.

ah i was wondering if you thought i was serious or not.

while you might be right i would be surprised if cost was not the major factor.
m
l
!