New pc wont run high graphic games

tristan99

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
I just got my custom built pc and bought the witcher 2 enhanced edition and I can't even run it on high graphics without lagging messed up visual. WTF.

CPU processor: intel core i7 2600k
ram: 16gb
system: windows 7 64 bit
graphics card: AMD radeon HD 7970

no idea what's wrong here, should be smashing out any game i throw at it.

Solution
connect the monitor at the back of the pc to the 7970

that should be the horizontal connector not the vertical one thats part of the motherboard io

tobensg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
That setup should kick ass, check the drivers for the 7970 are upto date. When you say the "lagging messed up visual." is your display just stuttering in Witcher2, or are you getting graphic/screen artifacts corruption?

tristan99

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
I used the driver autodetect on the amd/ati website and updated it. yet i still get a message on startup saying that its not supported by catalyst control center or something.

yes i tested it on SWTOR and that lagged pretty bad but that could just be my wireless internet.

resolution 1920 x 1080

and im a newb at high end pc's, ive just gone from a notebook laptop to custom built pc. so idk what psu is sorry. and im sure both connectors would be plugged in properly as I had this built for me by the tech guys at the store.

"and im a newb at high end pc's, ive just gone from a notebook laptop to custom built pc. so idk what psu is sorry."

the psu is the power supply--and theres a big difference in a cheap for example 700w and a quality 700w

a lot of stores stick in your 2600k and 7970 gpu--higher end components-- but put in an average or cheap psu

a quality psu can come with a 5 or 7 year guarantee

tristan99

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
ok mcnumpty i think my wireless internet is just really crap at this very moment more than usual for some reason.

and gamerk, whats psu? I only have the single card so im not using crossfire. and what is ubersampling?

I literally just got the pc yesterday and have been doing windows updates and crap. I didnt expect to have do do much other then update it and update my graphics card driver which i did.

another question while im waiting for that unigine thing. when i start my stem i always get "The Catalyst Control Centre is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please upgrade your AMD Graphics driver or enable your AMD Adapter using The Displays Manager."

tristan99

Distinguished
May 30, 2012

OCZ Fatalt1ty 750W PSU

looks like the right one

did you uninstall the original driver and ccc before installing the new one

i have a nvidia card now but had problems in the past if i didnt uninstall the amd driver and ccc and run driver sweeper or driver

cleaner before installing the new software

tristan99

Distinguished
May 30, 2012

i dont think so.. i didnt know you had to uninstal the previous driver. i thought its an update, like a patch not a whole new thing.
anyways i havent restarted my pc after re-downloading ccc as i dont want to start this download again. so ill wait until its done and restart and see if it still comes up with that error.

tristan99

Distinguished
May 30, 2012

sorry i missed this. im getting both

in theory it is an update and installing the new driver should do it all for you

but not always in practice

cant say i have had any problems just installing new nvidia drivers over old but definately had it with ati/amd

no complaints about their hardware but many people complain about their drivers

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
What's the current core clock speed when under stress?

Do you have any power saving settings enabled?

Are you positive your card has the power connectors connected and it seated properly?

Have you tried clearing CMOS? That usually solved my graphics card clock speed issues.