Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New pc wont run high graphic games

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2012 12:24:45 PM

I just got my custom built pc and bought the witcher 2 enhanced edition and I can't even run it on high graphics without lagging messed up visual. WTF.

CPU processor: intel core i7 2600k
ram: 16gb
system: windows 7 64 bit
graphics card: AMD radeon HD 7970

no idea what's wrong here, should be smashing out any game i throw at it.

More about : wont run high graphic games

May 30, 2012 12:36:17 PM

What's the resolution?
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2012 12:57:57 PM

That setup should kick ass, check the drivers for the 7970 are upto date. When you say the "lagging messed up visual." is your display just stuttering in Witcher2, or are you getting graphic/screen artifacts corruption?
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:59:50 PM

Have you tried different games or this is only one you've tested so far?
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:06:47 PM

I used the driver autodetect on the amd/ati website and updated it. yet i still get a message on startup saying that its not supported by catalyst control center or something.

yes i tested it on SWTOR and that lagged pretty bad but that could just be my wireless internet.

resolution 1920 x 1080

and im a newb at high end pc's, ive just gone from a notebook laptop to custom built pc. so idk what psu is sorry. and im sure both connectors would be plugged in properly as I had this built for me by the tech guys at the store.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 1:09:30 PM

just because they built it in store doesnt guarantee they did it right

run the unigine benchmark to double check
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:11:06 PM

ok ill run it now
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:14:53 PM

this may take awhile.... it seems all download links for it are incredible slow. i'll get back to you in 2 hours when it's done -.-
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 1:34:56 PM

1: Do you have an adequete PSU?
2: Cards with internal SLI/CF typically have horrible drivers
3: Make sure Ubersampling is disabled; it kills framerates.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 1:42:16 PM

"and im a newb at high end pc's, ive just gone from a notebook laptop to custom built pc. so idk what psu is sorry."

the psu is the power supply--and theres a big difference in a cheap for example 700w and a quality 700w

a lot of stores stick in your 2600k and 7970 gpu--higher end components-- but put in an average or cheap psu

a quality psu can come with a 5 or 7 year guarantee
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:42:26 PM

ok mcnumpty i think my wireless internet is just really crap at this very moment more than usual for some reason.

and gamerk, whats psu? I only have the single card so im not using crossfire. and what is ubersampling?

I literally just got the pc yesterday and have been doing windows updates and crap. I didnt expect to have do do much other then update it and update my graphics card driver which i did.

another question while im waiting for that unigine thing. when i start my stem i always get "The Catalyst Control Centre is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please upgrade your AMD Graphics driver or enable your AMD Adapter using The Displays Manager."
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:44:26 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
"and im a newb at high end pc's, ive just gone from a notebook laptop to custom built pc. so idk what psu is sorry."

the psu is the power supply--and theres a big difference in a cheap for example 700w and a quality 700w

a lot of stores stick in your 2600k and 7970 gpu--higher end components-- but put in an average or cheap psu

a quality psu can come with a 5 or 7 year guarantee

OCZ Fatalt1ty 750W PSU
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 1:49:55 PM

yeah thats not too bad

about £80--so not top of the range but not too shabby either

where did you have it built?

as would have thought if it was built to order they would have updated all the drivers and benchmarked the graphics to make

sure it all worked ok
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:51:35 PM

umart. I'm in australia. i had to update the graphics card driver.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 1:54:49 PM

never heard of them but i am in the uk

did you update Catalyst Control Centre or just the driver

on amd website it should have the option to do both or just one

so maybe you need to update ccc as well
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:55:11 PM

ok it's not even running witcher 2 on low graphics properly...
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:57:36 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
never heard of them but i am in the uk

did you update Catalyst Control Centre or just the driver

on amd website it should have the option to do both or just one

so maybe you need to update ccc as well

well i had it already on here but i downloaded it again from here http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/radeon_win... just to make sure so it should be the latest version.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:00:41 PM

looks like the right one

did you uninstall the original driver and ccc before installing the new one

i have a nvidia card now but had problems in the past if i didnt uninstall the amd driver and ccc and run driver sweeper or driver

cleaner before installing the new software
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:05:18 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
looks like the right one

did you uninstall the original driver and ccc before installing the new one

i have a nvidia card now but had problems in the past if i didnt uninstall the amd driver and ccc and run driver sweeper or driver

cleaner before installing the new software

i dont think so.. i didnt know you had to uninstal the previous driver. i thought its an update, like a patch not a whole new thing.
anyways i havent restarted my pc after re-downloading ccc as i dont want to start this download again. so ill wait until its done and restart and see if it still comes up with that error.
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:11:45 PM

tobensg said:
That setup should kick ass, check the drivers for the 7970 are upto date. When you say the "lagging messed up visual." is your display just stuttering in Witcher2, or are you getting graphic/screen artifacts corruption?

sorry i missed this. im getting both
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:13:22 PM

in theory it is an update and installing the new driver should do it all for you

but not always in practice

cant say i have had any problems just installing new nvidia drivers over old but definately had it with ati/amd

no complaints about their hardware but many people complain about their drivers
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:16:06 PM

What's the current core clock speed when under stress?

Do you have any power saving settings enabled?

Are you positive your card has the power connectors connected and it seated properly?

Have you tried clearing CMOS? That usually solved my graphics card clock speed issues.

m
l
May 30, 2012 2:18:52 PM

AidanJC said:
What's the current core clock speed when under stress?

Do you have any power saving settings enabled?

Are you positive your card has the power connectors connected and it seated properly?

Have you tried clearing CMOS? That usually solved my graphics card clock speed issues.

1. idk what that is.
2. set to high performance
3. idk what that is.
4. idk what that is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:25:52 PM

1.gpuz will show you current gpuz speed and temperature and fan speed

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

3..would have to open pc to see

4.would have to open pc and short out the jumpers to set the bios to default

wouldnt go there till you see if its just the driver updating causing the problem

did you happen to test it on a game before updating the driver?
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:31:22 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
1.gpuz will show you current gpuz speed and temperature and fan speed

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

3..would have to open pc to see

4.would have to open pc and short out the jumpers to set the bios to default

wouldnt go there till you see if its just the driver updating causing the problem

did you happen to test it on a game before updating the driver?

yer im pretty sure it was the same prior.
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:33:42 PM

ummm... that gpuz thing is saying my graphics card is intel(r) hd graphics 3000.

shouldn't that be saying amd radeon hd 7970?

core clock is 850 mhz temp 29 degrees celcius
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:34:47 PM

would opening the case to check both power connectors are firmly attached to the graphics card void your warranty?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:36:04 PM

gpuz has a drop down box to show more than one gpu

though if it was running on the integrated gpu rather than the 7970 that would certainly make it run badly
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:36:45 PM

dw theres an option at the bottom and i switched it to read the amd 7900 series one.
and.... its reading 0 mhz and 0.0 degrees celcius...

and im not quite sure. i dont want to risk voiding waranty
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:38:40 PM

you have connected your monitor to the 7970 and not the integrated graphics?
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:39:21 PM

yes i think it is running on intergrated gpu, how do i switch it over? lol i actually tried to do that a few hours ago and disabled the intergrated one in device manager... i ended up having a black screen freaking the *** out, and after much research figured out how to enable it using the keyboard blindly.
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:39:57 PM

idk how do i connect it to the 7970?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:40:47 PM

connect the monitor at the back of the pc to the 7970

that should be the horizontal connector not the vertical one thats part of the motherboard io
May 30, 2012 2:48:11 PM

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow......................... -.- really? that's it? I just had it plugged into the wrong thing.... fml.

the gpuz program is now reading 7970 at 300 mhz core clock so i guess that means i have that as the active graphics card now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 2:50:23 PM

yep thats really it

300mhz is the idle speed

925mhz is the load speed if its a standard 7970

now try a game or benchmark
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:58:59 PM

Best answer selected by tristan99.
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:59:42 PM

is working perfectly now. thank you everyone for the help especially mcnumpty. far out if only i plugged it into that hdmi one first -.-
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 3:08:00 PM

should have checked the simplest thing 1st

took a while but youre good to go :D 

m
l
May 30, 2012 11:58:04 PM

Glad it was something so simple, nice one!!
m
l
!