Corsair AX850 Modular Connections Guide?

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I am planning on buying this PSU along with the ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula when it comes out. The board uses an 8 pin AND a 4 pin to power it. Does the AX850 support that? And can I run SLI off of the AX850? Does anyone have a picture labeling where each connection goes?

short answer yes! AX850 has enough connectors to run almost any motherboard-
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
2 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V
8 x Peripheral
12 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E
if you are new to this,just follow a system building guide,there are bunch of videos on "how to xxxxxx" on youtube.

why me

Honorable
May 15, 2012
as someone who just searched for that yesterday, i will give you what i have learned because i couldn't find straight answer nor a video explaining the connector. but this is what i get from skimming some long articles.

ATX Connector or Main connector (20+4Pin): for the motherboard
EPS Connector (4+4-Pin): for the CPU connected to the motherboard
PCI-E Connector: for the GPU
SATA Connector: for the HDD , SSD and i think for the optical drives also
Peripheral Connector: i forgot for what because i didn't need them :p
Floppy Connector: for floppy

here is an article i found explaining all connectors including some old ones that aren't in your PSU so read about the ones mentioned above

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Ah yes, that cleared up alot of the trouble. What I was intentionally looking for was a look at the AX850 itself, since I don't have it yet, I wanted to see the modular interface. The problem with the AX850 is, you can either run 2 4+4 pins for the cpu and 1 graphics card, or 2 graphics cards and 1 4+4 pin for cpu. The Maximus V Formula, which I plan on getting, Has an eight and a four pin CPU power. Heres a video on the board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPEIgNAvGA Skip to 4:17

why me

Honorable
May 15, 2012
i'm the noobest guy here and i haven't build my first built yet. but from what i searched, AX850 has two EPS connector (4+4-Pin). so that will be four (4-pin) and you can use three of them. for the GPU however you got four PCI-E connectors. that's like four way sli/Xfire not just two card. so where is the problem ?

do you mean can you plug all the EPS and PCI-E connectors at the same time then of course you can.

here is a picture for the interface on corsair site. and here is the manual for the PSU. and here is a lot of unboxing and video reviews

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Btw, modern graphics cards take two6+2 power connections to power it, so thats SLI. And yes, I want to know if you can plug them in all at the same time. All of the PCI-E and EPS connections plugged in at the same time.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Incase you guys were confused on what I meant by 8 and 4 pin input, here's a pic:
4PINpower.jpg
The red oval is where the input is. Also, I found an article stating its a four pin ATX input? What does that mean?

Heres the link:

http://www.techpowerup.com/161825/ASUS-ROG-Maximus-V-Formula-Unveiled.html

mandarpalshikar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Were you guys able to solve this issue? I'm using AX850 with Maximus V Formula and I'm unable to connect the additional 4 pin EPS connector on motherboard. I'm using 2 HD7950 cards which take up all 4 PCI-E connectors. So this doesn't leave my any connection on back of my AX850 where I can connect the additional 8 pin EPS connector. Please help.

sleepy101

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I would suggest into looking into power supply's that are 1000 watts or above, usually they come with all the connections for a motherboard that has more then one power port on top of the 8 pin power port.

The AX850 is now a discontinued model. All remaining stock is still being cleared out of the distribution channel.

The AX860 is its replacement and solves the dual CPU power connectors and four PCI-E power connectors dilemma for two cards in 2-way SLI mode when using an ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula.