Building a PC from scratch, anything non-obvious that I should buy?

jcbullen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Besides all of the obvious components for building a computer, is there anything that I should buy as well, or should all of the pieces come with everything I will need for installation (i.e. cables and such)?

Solution
Power Supply will come with the necissary cords for your MB (Research that your PSU will have the correct wires for some of the higher end Graphics Cards.

Optical Drive will come with Sata wires, Same with Hard Drives.

Motherboards will come with the necissary hardware to mount to the case.

By the time you buy all your components, you should have everything needed to build it. I can't recall a time where I had to go back to the store to buy something to complete a build. Good Luck!

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Power Supply will come with the necissary cords for your MB (Research that your PSU will have the correct wires for some of the higher end Graphics Cards.

Optical Drive will come with Sata wires, Same with Hard Drives.

Motherboards will come with the necissary hardware to mount to the case.

By the time you buy all your components, you should have everything needed to build it. I can't recall a time where I had to go back to the store to buy something to complete a build. Good Luck!

Solution

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Really? none of the HDD's or optical drive i have bought included cables. The motherboard usually includes some though, mine (p8p67 Pro) came with 2 sata II and 2 sata III so shoud not matter anyways. I would recommend a variety of screw drivers though, i have a small kit for building computers and trust me a variety of tools can come in handy.