Whay graphics card for this PSU?

Hi People
posted before but didn't get any replies, so thought I'd give more details, i want to buy a graphics card that will run ok on this PSU
the specs are
HP Compaq dc 7600 convertible mini-tower
Pentium D (3.4)
4x512Mb Ram
1 DVD Ram
1 DVD Rom
2.1 speakers (not sure of output,Auditek mini super woofer system)
the PSU is HP 365W
on the side it reads

365W Max
+5.08V=19A +3.3V=24A +12V=12A
+12Vcpu=14.5A -12V=0.15A +5.08Vaux=3A
maximum of combined power of 5.08V and 3.33V is 180W

I hope this makes sense to you
I want to play games but I've never played (on my old pc's at a higher resolution than 800x600, last card was x300)at max resolution or maxed anything out, I'm not sure about upgrading the PSU cos it a mini tower and not sure if a standard psu will fit
hope I get some advice
thanks
Bazza
15 answers Last reply
More about whay graphics card
  1. Your pc is a difficult one as its quite old and you would be better off spending your money on a complete new system.
    If you would like to just get abit more life out of it to play games better with it and not having to change your psu I would suggest 6670. A 6770 might be pushing it tho, so not sure if your psu's quality can handle it.
  2. Your PSU is Genneric and you will have ishues with a low profile card like the one just suggested to you by monsta plus your computer is cramp and the new card will cause a lot of heat plus if you get a new PSU that will fit will also cause a lot of heat.

    You really should think about getting a new system. The games today require a lot of juice from PSU, CPU and GPU. The old games might work after upgrade. anyway I wish you good luck on this.
  3. monsta said:
    Your pc is a difficult one as its quite old and you would be better off spending your money on a complete new system.
    If you would like to just get abit more life out of it to play games better with it and not having to change your psu I would suggest 6670. A 6770 might be pushing it tho, so not sure if your psu's quality can handle it.



    Hi Monsta
    thanks for your reply, I was looking at the 6670 as I've read it only draws 66V at max,I would be willing to buy a new psu as a new pc at this time is really out the question on my money, I just want a card to play some oldish games ( dont think i've ever spent more than a tenner on a game) as long as the card runs on the power from my +12V rail, I know someone who ran a nVidia 8400 GS 512 MB on the same pc and was thinking of a newer card as they may use less power and you get more bang for your buck, also I think the psu in this pc is a standard size (have to do more checking)which is what i was concerned about
    thanks
    Bazza
  4. DM186 said:
    Your PSU is Genneric and you will have ishues with a low profile card like the one just suggested to you by monsta plus your computer is cramp and the new card will cause a lot of heat plus if you get a new PSU that will fit will also cause a lot of heat.

    You really should think about getting a new system. The games today require a lot of juice from PSU, CPU and GPU. The old games might work after upgrade. anyway I wish you good luck on this.



    Hi DM186
    as I said to Monsta cant afford a new system at this time, the size of the mini tower is 450x440x165 (H,D,W) i've an old atx here and it's only about 23mm slimmer than that, also the graphics card sits just below the fan, when I can afford a new pc I'll get one
    cheers
    Bazza
  5. First off you have to mesure to see how small of a card will fit I am thinking it is going to be a low profile. Do you have a PCIe x16 slot on your MOBO? And If you do is it a 2.0 or a 1.0? I was looking at some 6670 cards and saw one that is low profile at around 89.00 but it requires a 400w or better power supply.

    Here is a link to the page with a lot of 6670's including the low profile one's but they are the 2.1 PCIe x 16 which will work in a 2.0 and some 1.0.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6670&x=0&y=0

    If you are looking for a power supply then the brands to look at ar Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, and coolmaster etc.
  6. DM186 said:
    First off you have to mesure to see how small of a card will fit I am thinking it is going to be a low profile. Do you have a PCIe x16 slot on your MOBO? And If you do is it a 2.0 or a 1.0? I was looking at some 6670 cards and saw one that is low profile at around 89.00 but it requires a 400w or better power supply.

    Here is a link to the page with a lot of 6670's including the low profile one's but they are the 2.1 PCIe x 16 which will work in a 2.0 and some 1.0.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6670&x=0&y=0

    If you are looking for a power supply then the brands to look at ar Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, and coolmaster etc.



    Hi DM186
    these are graphics specs for the pc
    PCI Slots 2 full-height (4.2"), length (13.4") standard;
    (2 additional full-height slots available via optional extender card)
    Max power per slot 75W


    PCI Express x16 slot 1 full-height (4.2"), length (10.5")
    Max power per slot 75W

    hope this helps as I said I wont be maxing out any game and the games I buy are always a few years old
    cheers
    bazza
  7. You have a 2.0 PCIe x 16 slot so a 2.1 will work. The card you choose has be only 4.2 in tall and no longer than 101/2 inched long. A low profile card is 2 to 3 inches. So that would be the size card to stick with but all the HD 6670 card are saying a 400w power supply or better enven a 5770 same thing 400w. Here are som links check them out.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125346

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127611

    most of the cards will handle a 300w power supply I know the GT 430 will. If you want to play old games then start with the GT 430 or the HD 6570 Any thing bigger you will need a 400w PSU. I wish you good luck
  8. DM186 said:
    You have a 2.0 PCIe x 16 slot so a 2.1 will work. The card you choose has be only 4.2 in tall and no longer than 101/2 inched long. A low profile card is 2 to 3 inches. So that would be the size card to stick with but all the HD 6670 card are saying a 400w power supply or better enven a 5770 same thing 400w. Here are som links check them out.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125346

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127611

    most of the cards will handle a 300w power supply I know the GT 430 will. If you want to play old games then start with the GT 430 or the HD 6570 Any thing bigger you will need a 400w PSU. I wish you good luck


    Hi DM186
    thanks for all your help, I'm going with the HD6570 for the lower power consumption according to this

    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=655&card2=642

    I did find a 500W psu for my pc (although it's a slim tower the psu is larger than a standard atx,weird) but it cost £109 from HP :(
    thanks again
    Bazza
  9. PS just checked price of GT 430 and specs say needs 22A on 12V rail i've only got 12


    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/pny-nvidia-geforce-gt-430-pci-e-graphics-card-1gb-08623397-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~Computing%20Accessories~08623397&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qixtqxl&istBid=t
    cheers
    bazza
    will hd6570 work?
  10. bazza_a said:



    Acording to the this chart of PSU's it is not a good PSU I will give you the link so you can check it out your self. About the HD 6570 as long as it is under 4 inches tall. Getting a low profile card will be the best opption. Most all PSU's will fit in any case.

    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

    That PSU you showed me is a tier 4 which is not recomended for use.
  11. HI DM186
    gonna buy this

    OCZ Stealth Xstream II 500W

    it's in tier2 of the eggxpert tiered power supply list (OCZ StealthXStream 2 <700 watt)
    I think this will give me more scope with the graphics card and it aint too expensive
    what d'you reckon
    cheers
    bazza
  12. bazza_a said:
    HI DM186
    gonna buy this

    OCZ Stealth Xstream II 500W

    it's in tier2 of the eggxpert tiered power supply list (OCZ StealthXStream 2 <700 watt)
    I think this will give me more scope with the graphics card and it aint too expensive
    what d'you reckon
    cheers
    bazza



    That PSU is ok. It will help with any of the cards we talked about. Just remember your system isn't that good so don't expect to play on high settingn but it will be better than what you have. I wish you the best of luck.
  13. DM186 said:
    That PSU is ok. It will help with any of the cards we talked about. Just remember your system isn't that good so don't expect to play on high settingn but it will be better than what you have. I wish you the best of luck.


    Hi DM186
    spur of the moment bought this instead
    coolermaster igreen 600w
    prob still go for the HD6570
    any thoughts
    bazza
  14. bazza_a said:
    Hi DM186
    spur of the moment bought this instead
    coolermaster igreen 600w
    prob still go for the HD6570
    any thoughts
    bazza



    That is plenty of power for the HD6570 Have fun and Enjoy. Good luck to ya
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard Graphics Product