Sign in with
Your question

3 display questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2011 9:11:03 PM

i have a 6970.if i run 2 cards in crossfire do they have to be the same or could i run say a 6950 with the 6970?
also for gaming only what connection is better a
hdmi or dvi-d?
and does anyone have a recommendation for a good monitor under
$150 say 22" or bigger

More about : display questions

December 15, 2011 5:26:22 PM

dvi = hdmi but without sound.

monitors:
i have one very similar to this so i can reccomend it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This one would probably be fine too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Here's one on a good sale, the negative comments are just ignorant people who don't know about scaling in ccc with hdmi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-009-...

And yes you can cf a 6950 and a 6970. Some people say it can cause instabilities though, so i would flash it to a 6970. Also what mobo, case and psu do you have?
m
l
December 15, 2011 5:53:54 PM

You can crossfire any two AMD/ATI cards assuming they are both capable of crossfire. The catch is that the total configuration will be downclocked to the slowest card. So with a 6970 + 6950, it would be as if you had 2x 6950. Also if you grab a 1GB 6950 card you'll be limited to a total of 1GB of VRAM.

The ASUS VS229H-P 158.00 while this isn't the ideal Eyefinity monitor it is a 22" e-IPS screen so you're not going to get the fading effect that TN monitors exhibit due to their limited viewing angles. Keep in mind it doesn't support swivel so portrait is out and no displayport so you'd need a dp>vga (passive) or dp>dvi (active) adapter for the 3rd. If you can push that monitor budget up to about $200 a piece the HP ZR22w really becomes an attractive monitor. It does support swivel, e-ips, and displayport.
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 6:01:58 PM

hmm, now that i think about it, cf 6950/6970s are a bit overkill for 1080x1920 no? I have one and it just short of running the newest games at max (bf3 dips below 30fps occasionally).
m
l
December 15, 2011 6:09:47 PM

For a single monitor yeah, it's a bit much but if you do plan on going to 3 monitors it's going to sit right on the edge of not enough.
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:19:29 PM

i have a vizio 46" hdtv.will the quality be as good as a good lcd?
m
l
December 16, 2011 9:09:58 PM

a4mula said:
so you'd need a dp>vga (passive) or dp>dvi (active) adapter for the 3rd.

Just a correction, only DP to HDMI or DVI can be passive. And for 3 monitors, active adapters are required, however you look at it. DVI, VGA and HDMI all require precise clock signals, which radeons can only provide 2.
m
l
December 16, 2011 9:23:56 PM

i dont really plan on using Eyefinity.im looking at some lcd's and some have led backlight.what does that mean and is it something i should look for ?
m
l
December 16, 2011 10:55:58 PM

tig3rbait said:
i dont really plan on using Eyefinity.im looking at some lcd's and some have led backlight.what does that mean and is it something i should look for ?

It allows them to make thinner panels. Basically, the "old" LCDs have a CCFL (neon stick in everyday language) whose light passes trough a diffuser to spread the light evenly. That light passes then though the LCD matrix.
LED backlight basically replaces the CCFL with LEDs, I think placed on the border, and passed though a similar diffuser.
LED backlight probably has some reliability advantage, as CCFLs tend to burn-out in time, while the LEDs run cooler and have higher numbers, although I don't know how some being burned would affect the image.
Do not confuse with LED monitors/TVs (like the OLED TVs), which are no longer LCDs. LCD=pixel matrix which selectively blocks/passes light (well, non-monitor/TV LCD displays don't use pixels, but you get the general idea). Those are the really expensive ones.
m
l
December 17, 2011 2:30:28 AM

mathew7 said:
Just a correction, only DP to HDMI or DVI can be passive. And for 3 monitors, active adapters are required, however you look at it. DVI, VGA and HDMI all require precise clock signals, which radeons can only provide 2.

These 88 adapters would tend to disagree with you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=displayport+to+vga&x=0&y=0

Considering I'm running my 3rd 2209w off a passive dp>vga adapter I'd also disagree with you. After spending $79 on a Dell Active DP>DVI adapter that was underpowered and caused massive screen blinking I found that a $15 passive adapter worked wonders.
m
l
December 17, 2011 7:07:21 AM

a4mula said:
These 88 adapters would tend to disagree with you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=displayport+to+vga&x=0&y=0

Considering I'm running my 3rd 2209w off a passive dp>vga adapter I'd also disagree with you. After spending $79 on a Dell Active DP>DVI adapter that was underpowered and caused massive screen blinking I found that a $15 passive adapter worked wonders.

But not having an external power supply does not mean it's passive. The DP port itself can provide 3.3V 500mA, which is about 1.6W, less than USB. So if an active chip does not need more power, it will not have an external power plug.
The exsitence of passive DP to DVI/HDMI is not even compliant with DP standard. from wikipedia:
DisplayPort is capable of directly emitting single-link HDMI and DVI signals using Dual-mode DisplayPort. VESA has issued interoperability guidelines for supporting single-link DVI and HDMI through a DisplayPort connection using a relatively simple passive adapter that adjusts for the lower voltages required by DisplayPort.

Note that they say "guidelines". They are not requirements.
Whereas the link you provided, I saw almost all of them sayng they are DP 1.1a compliant. DP port is not made to output raw VGA signals.
m
l
December 17, 2011 7:15:27 AM

Clouding the issue much?

My statement from earlier is no less true by anything you just stated. If you run a 3x Eyefinity with non-Displayport monitors you have one of two options:

1) An Active Displayport to DVI adapter
or
2) A Passive Displayport to VGA adapter.

This is already a very confusing aspect of Eyefinity, why try to make it more complicated by citing VESA Interoperability Guidelines? If I didn't know better I'd say you were related to Grapeape who ended up costing more than a few people time, money and frustration by playing these same exact kind of word games.
m
l
December 18, 2011 10:29:09 AM

No...I just say that there is no such thing as a passive DP to VGA. Period. Cheap does not mean passive. No power plug does not mean passive.
And I'm saying the card cannot run more than 2 non-DP monitors with passive adapters. So if you do have an adapter that does not say active and you're using 3 monitor on 1 card, then the adapter IS active.
Update: just looked at some reports of eyefinity-working "passive" VGA adapters: they are not passive. If they say they offer a RAMDAC or DAC, then the are active. This is all misinformation spread by peopl who either don't know or don't research.
m
l
December 18, 2011 9:49:59 PM

DP to VGA has to be active because it's going from digital to analog. Whereas two analog cables could theoretically just be taken apart and soldered together.

I think that a4mula is talking about whether anything is done to the image or not when he says passive/active.

He means: A "passive" dp to vga simply converts, while an "active" dp to dvi adds the clock signal or whatever is missing.

Technically this is the wrong nomenclature but it get's the point across and can't really cause problems because no one will accidentally buy a passive dp to vga adapter since they don't exist.

The important part of what he's saying is that if you want to use 3 digital-only screens, you need an active dp to dvi for eyefinity.

Hope that makes things clearer, and that I didn't make any mistakes.
m
l
!