Sign in with
Your question

Headset

Last response: in Components
May 30, 2012 3:08:13 PM

Hi All

Just a quick question..
I have recently upgraded my Creative sound card to An Asus Phoebus and am now toying with the idea of a gaming headset, the question is this what would be better an Asus Vulcan which will give me the option of using my control box for volume etc or a Logitech G35 which uses a usb connector so wouldnt be able to use the control box. What will give the better sound as the G35 says its a has 7.1 sound (I know its only simulated) but the Vulcan uses a 3.5mm jack plug would this give me surround sound. I play mainly games and usually a fps so would be looking for a surroud sound experiance
Any suggestions or advice would be good

More about : headset

May 30, 2012 3:49:08 PM

....why get a soundcard and then go USB, which ignores the soundcard entirely? So forget the G35. If you want virtualized surround, just use the built in virtualization features the Phoebus offers.

As for headsets, I'm currently in love with my Beyerdynamic DT 770's [250 Ohm version] when paired with my Xense, which is basically the card the Phoebus replaces. Was a huge step up from my placeholder headset [a Logitech G35]
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp...

There are cheaper options though. Both Grado and Sennheiser have headphones that are closer to the $100 range.

If you need something with a mic, just get a $10 clip on. No reason to sacrifice audio quality just to get something with a mic built in.
May 30, 2012 8:14:19 PM

chrislewsey said:
Hi All

Just a quick question..
I have recently upgraded my Creative sound card to An Asus Phoebus and am now toying with the idea of a gaming headset, the question is this what would be better an Asus Vulcan which will give me the option of using my control box for volume etc or a Logitech G35 which uses a usb connector so wouldnt be able to use the control box. What will give the better sound as the G35 says its a has 7.1 sound (I know its only simulated) but the Vulcan uses a 3.5mm jack plug would this give me surround sound. I play mainly games and usually a fps so would be looking for a surroud sound experiance
Any suggestions or advice would be good

Thanks for the reply

That was the reply I was kind of expecting about the G35, now what about the Vulcan would I get surround sound out of them using the 3.5mm jack plug, I dont need to use them very often as I usually play through my 5.1 speakers,its just if Im doing a late night session, so I dont want to spend a huge amount on them but would like a decent pair that will give me a good sound
!