RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hello,
I was in a middle of something when my machine suddenly shutdown. I tried to restart it but nothing happened. The power supply seems dead, I.e. no fan noise.

I wired the power supply as some topics suggested but had no luck. While e power supply is connected, the light on my motherboard is flashing as normal.

I would like to know if this issue is related to power supply only.

The model is Consair HX 750 Modular.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Thanks

RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Asus P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Dual Gigabit LAN 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C8)
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66GHz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM
Edimax EW-7727In nMax 300Mbps Wireless Desktop PCI Network Adapter
Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive (Black)

No, I didn't hear anything or I couldn't remember. No funny smell either.
No response when I wired the the yellow and black line.
Once again, the light on motherboard would be on if I connect the cable between supply and the motherboard.

Thanks for your help

Lutfij

Titan
hmm - since you have only 3 stix and six slots - why not switch them over to the neighboring slot and see if the rig powers up.

Once again, the light on motherboard would be on if I connect the cable between supply and the motherboard
See - you have 750W's of power from a reliable PSU by corsair, last i checked that series wasn't a dodgy model...you'd need to abuse it to get it to not work. It also indicate's your mobo is recieving power from PSU

The thing i mean't about the slots, have the ram stix populate the white slots if you have them in the blue slots now.

troubleshooting - hmmm, you could check the last link in my sig for troubleshooting tips. go through it one by one and you'll know you're making headway.

* don't thank me yet mate - we're not outta the woods... yet.
** last ditch effort, if under warranty take it to the guy who built it...unless ofc its you :p Edit: yeah its homebuilt - section says so.
*** last last ditch effort - bread board the stuff with only your HDD and GPU, leaving out the wireless card+ODD.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I think your original diagnosis is about right. Sounds like the PSU died. Corsair is a good brand for PSUs, but maybe this particular one was faulty or something. How old is the system anyway?

Lutfij

Titan
^ could be - but i had a neighbor have his rig die on him suddenly, calls me over and after a lil inspection - changed the ram to another slot and rig powered up fine. Though i could be wrong with Roberto's case :)

RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

I will try this tonight but it would seem odd to be if this is the case. I expected at least the fan within the PSU would be on at least. Now it is completely slience.

The reason I short-circuited the power supply (while disconnected from everything but the power cable) was to make sure it is work. There was not sound of fan in the PSU. So I thought it is broken. But I am not able to explain the light on the motherboard.

Well, yes, it is me:)

I will try this as well.

P.S. the PSU costed me £90 now cost £120:(

RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Sorry, I meant green:( don't know why I typed yellow

Didn't know this is ref to Paper Clip test:)

RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
So what paper clip test told me? Can I conclude that the PSU is done?

I will carry on with further test and contact the seller if I can get a replace.

P.S. really wish that you were my neighbor:)

RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

OK. Now I got the new power supply via RMA. Still the same issue. So something else is defected as well.

Now I have power-on and reset lights flashing once the power is on. Light is flahsing on one of network port as well (the other one is not).

I have tried to unplugged the RAM and graphic cards. I also cleared the BIOS by removing the battery from the mobo. There is still no response.

RobertoCruyff

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Tried this as well. No luck