Second Hand V66 - Help!

Last response: in Technologies
March 13, 2005 4:01:08 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have just bought a secondhand Motorola V66 on
www.ebay.co.uk - It was intended to be a backup
handset for an existing phone. It was advertised
as v66e - unlocked to all networks

The phone which arrived does not look like the v66e
version. It has a slightly different design on the
inside of the lid and looks more like a v66. The
little sticker with the model type is missing.

Unfortunately the phone does not make or take calls.
V66e is the version made for Orange, so even a locked
v66e should work with an Orange SIM, and an unlocked
v66e - which this is supposed to - should work with
any SIM.

With an Orange SIM the phone shows "Unregistered SIM"
With a Vodafone UK SIM the phone registers, but attempts
at calls get a "Call Failed. Not Allowed" message on the
screen.

I checked the phone IMEI number and it is not on a lost
or stolen list.

Anybody know what is happening?
TIA

More about : hand v66

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:03:24 PM

mobileshoporg wrote:
>semiretired wrote:

>>I checked the phone IMEI number and it is not
>>on a lost or stolen list.

>I suggest you check again.
>I think you have been swindled.

www.missingphones.com says it is not on
their list of lost or stolen phones, and they
claim to be global. Do you know any better site?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:02:23 AM

--
Hairydog, maintainers of
http://www.mobileshop.org - the on-line mobile phone guide

<semiretired@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> mobileshoporg wrote:
>>semiretired wrote:
>
>>>I checked the phone IMEI number and it is not
>>>on a lost or stolen list.
>
>>I suggest you check again.
>>I think you have been swindled.
>
> www.missingphones.com says it is not on
> their list of lost or stolen phones, and they
> claim to be global. Do you know any better site?

The CER blacklist is not publicly available. This seems to be a site with
IMEI's that have been registered onto it by Joe Public.

The phone is operating with the Vodafone and Orange SIM as it should if it
were blacklisted. Contact your seller for a refund.

Chris
March 15, 2005 2:05:14 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

semiretired@my-deja.com reckoned that...
> I have just bought a secondhand Motorola V66 on
> www.ebay.co.uk - It was intended to be a backup
> handset for an existing phone. It was advertised
> as v66e - unlocked to all networks
>
> The phone which arrived does not look like the v66e
> version. It has a slightly different design on the
> inside of the lid and looks more like a v66. The
> little sticker with the model type is missing.
>
> Unfortunately the phone does not make or take calls.
> V66e is the version made for Orange, so even a locked
> v66e should work with an Orange SIM, and an unlocked
> v66e - which this is supposed to - should work with
> any SIM.
>
> With an Orange SIM the phone shows "Unregistered SIM"
> With a Vodafone UK SIM the phone registers, but attempts
> at calls get a "Call Failed. Not Allowed" message on the
> screen.
>
> I checked the phone IMEI number and it is not on a lost
> or stolen list.

It is blacklisted, without any shadow of a doubt.

Or it's broken. Either way, you've had it.
--
Jon Parker
Anonymous

Chris Boyd wrote:
>semiretired wrote
>>mobileshoporg wrote:

>>>I suggest you check again.
>>>I think you have been swindled.

>> www.missingphones.com says it is not on
>>their list of lost or stolen phones, and they
>>claim to be global. Do you know any better site?

>The CER blacklist is not publicly available.
>This seems to be a site with
>IMEI's that have been registered onto it by Joe Public.
>The phone is operating with the Vodafone and Orange SIM
>as it should if it were blacklisted.
>Contact your seller for a refund. Chris

Many thanks to you all:-
Mobileshoporg
Chris Boyd
Evan Platt
Jon Parker
for all your helpful comments.
I rechecked and the handset is indeed on the blacklist.

The seller is huffing and puffing that he checked
the set before it was sent, but the phone arrived with
a completely uncharged battery, which is not really
likely for a recently checked phone.
At best he seems like an irresponsible idiot selling on
items which he gets from "friends" At worst....

At this moment in time (as they say) I feel like
taking the phone in to the nearest police station.
Anybody got any idea whether this would do the faintest
amount of good - like clearing this particular seller
off the face of the earth?
!