CPU Temps constantly changing

Ph0enix33

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hey everyone,

I have come across something strange with my homebuilt computer and was hoping you all might be able to shed some light on the issue. Basically, when monitoring my my CPU temps, I notice a constant rise and fall across all cores. It will be 35 degrees one second, then 38 the next, then 37, then 42 etc. While I understand temps change with load, active processes, current activities etc, it does not seem normal to have such spikes and ever changing temps when the CPU is sitting idle. I would have expected a more consistent temperature reading. I updated my BIOS to make sure there wasn't a problem there, and am using the latest version of Realtemp (have also tried coretemp and get the same result). Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution

There are things running, in the background. Temperatures rising and falling constantly are...

Thats normal. It's never going to stay at exactly one temp all the time. As long as it's not jumping from 38 to 70 degress you're fine.

Ph0enix33

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I do understand that temps will rise and fall during normal activity, but it does not seem right that after a fresh boot, just staring at the desktop with nothing running, that my temps would go from 35 to 42 several times in a matter of seconds, especially when I know for a fact that my temps use to be semi constant i.e. it would stay at 35-36, only changing once every minute or so when idle, and would stay within a 1-2 degree range depending on the load when being stressed. I do understand that the temps themselves are not a problem, and are within a acceptable levels, but the sudden rise and fall every second or two is worrying me.

There are things running, in the background. Temperatures rising and falling constantly are normal. Like I said as long as it isn't changing from one extreme to the next it's fine.

Solution

+1 A CPU is hardly ever (seriously) truly at idle. There's usually always some background process working.

TRENDING THREADS