Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gaming
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 14, 2011 10:34:40 PM

Hello,
So I've just built a gaming rig, so I have started to play games on highest settings with solid fps and smooth general gameplay. But, the problem is, when I play any game, the objects in the game start to shift quickly and flicker. I know it is not a bug in the games, as I've checked already, or running these games on high settings, as I've tried them on lower settings as well. Here is my build:
Samsung S23A300B 23" W 5ms 1920x1080 LED Monitor
MSI 970A-G45 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ Motherboard
AMD FX-4100 X4 3600MHZ 8MB 95W AM3+
Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 4x4
Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCIe
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1Gb GDDR5 Dual DVI
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W Modular PSU

I posted the sound card because I've known people who have had performances issues because of their sound card. So, I'm thinking it might be compatibility between my video card and my cpu, compatibility between my video card and monitor, or maybe my video card altogether. It's getting quite annoying and making most games unplayable, so please help as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

Also, these games only start to flicker once actual gameplay commences, never while in the title screen or loading screens. Anyways, it looks a bit like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60860142@N02/6513369587/

I couldn't take a better screenshot of the clipping issues, but what I'm talking about on the left side of the pic. It's like that but to a greater degree and it happens all of the time.

Also, here is a video. It showcases the issue better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3auAv363eg&feature=yout...

More about : flickering screen gaming

a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 6:19:21 PM

Update your drivers if you haven't already. Go to nvidia site to do this.

If you are already on the latest, i'd do a driver sweep and reinstall them.

I'll keep looking around but it looks like others have this problem as well and i don't see a fix yet.

oh, try turning vsync on and off.
m
l
December 22, 2011 4:52:00 AM

Leave your computer on with the game loaded. Carefully adjust the SLI bridge connection and you can see how it affects your flicker problem. You should eventually be able to get the connection to be stable and have no more flickering. This is what worked for me.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2011 5:50:30 AM

I don't have SLI or Crossfire though, just a single card. So far I'e checked the card, the MoBo, updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that would apply to this scenario. It's getting really frustrating, and now with some games such as Assassin's Creed Revelations I'm falling through the floor and people are disappearing in the middle of cutscenes. I don't think it is the game, because this doesn't seem to be happening to other people. It would be bearable if it were a minor thing that made a few textures flicker, but now some games are just completely unplayable! Please Help!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 6:01:27 AM

do you have another computer that you could temporarily stick it in?
If you don't, or if it creates the same problems, rma the card.

edit: also try swapping monitors, changing dvi slots and taking out your sound card.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:30:26 AM

That's not flickering.. That's artifacts. I'd blame either the cable, or the video card.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:27:39 AM

I've tried several different vga and dvi cables, 3 different video cards, and 3 different monitors...nothing.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 7:41:11 AM

So it's not video card. Must be drivers then. I know this might sound a bit extreme, but the fastest solution I could think of would be reformat.
m
l
a c 89 U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 9:09:37 AM

Go to the Gigabyte website and get the bios updater for your model card , update 550ti the bios , its easy to do just follow the instructions and see if it fixes the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2011 5:54:58 PM

you tried 3 different video cards and they all give you the artifacting?
Sunius is likely right about reformatting. It could be your directx installation or something related. Fixing a dx installation is an effort in futility in my experience.
m
l
December 25, 2011 10:59:25 PM

I want to try uninstalling and reinstalling directx 11, but the Windows 7 OS that I got had directx built in, so I couldn't uninstall it.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 26, 2011 8:17:47 AM

Better not mess with DirectX.. It will just get your windows corrupted. As I said, reinstall windows and your problems should go away.
m
l
December 26, 2011 5:54:32 PM

how do I uninstall an OS?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 26, 2011 9:00:14 PM

Format disk. But don't do it. Do you have windows disc? if you do, insert it, go to bios, set DVD-ROM your primary boot device, exit it after saving it. Then proceed to boot from the disc and just follow install wizard.

WARNING: Reinstalling windows will delete all the data which is on the same partition as the new windows install.
m
l
December 30, 2011 5:50:15 AM

After trying literally every possible revenue in order to solve this problem, I've finally found the answer. This happened when I was overclocking my CPU in order to get better framerates in games like SKyrim, which, for some reason, did not flicker as often. So I started it up after OC'ing and found the flickering to continue uncontrollably, and there were even issues with clipping and falling through walls and such. I then "underclocked" my CPU to see if it fixed the problem, and it did. So, sadly, I have to compromise slow framerates on newer games for flickering and overall chaos in-game. However, before I spend money on a new CPU, (I wanted to get a better one anyways, since the bulldozers were a flop even in comparison to the Phenoms) would the problem be the power supply? I know it's not the motherboard, but how would I test this? All the voltages and whatnot seem stable, so I just want to be extra sure before I make any decisions. Thank you all for your help so far,
LinDUNguin
m
l
April 5, 2013 9:08:07 AM

I know this is a little bit of an odd bump, but I was having this problem too and I fixed it. The solution for me wasn't found on this page, and this is the first page when you search on Google.

All I did was going into Catalyst Control Center and select all my gaming settings to "use application settings." Apparently the Control Center must have been attempting to override my Game's settings and my game wasn't having it.
m
l