Help Identifying Case Fan Component

WaferCookie

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
So, I'm almost done my first PC build, and I have one problem that I haven't been able to solve. My case comes with two 120mm fans pre-attached to the case (I'm not adding any after-market cooling). The problem I'm having is that the fan-motherboard connectors are not long enough to reach the motherboard without running over top of either the CPU fan or one of my PCI slots, and even then the connectors have enough tension to make me worried they'll bend something or pop out. Both fan connectors come with some sort of adapter, though, and I think those might help me solve the problem. The case doesn't come with a manual, so I have no way to identify the adapters, which is why I'm posting. I'm attaching two images in hopes that someone will tell me what they are, how to use them, and hopefully how to solve my problem without having to buy new parts. The nearest electronics store is almost an hour away, and I'm too lazy to travel if I can help it.

Thanks for the help! :wahoo:

Mobo: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502&Tpk=%7cGA-Z68A-D3H-B3%20Z68

Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

picture008cp.jpg

picture010xu.jpg

Solution
This is Y adapter. It allows you to power a fan (the small connector) using a drive power cable (the large connectors). The other large connector is there to allow you to still use the drive connector with a drive (HDD or DVD/CD rom).
You plug the drive connector in one of the drive connectors from the PSU, then you can plug a case fan in the small connector AND also use the remaining drive connector for one of your drives. By connecting the fan to this, you might lose the ability to modulate that fan's speed via the mobo. If it is a case fan, that is not really needed.
This is Y adapter. It allows you to power a fan (the small connector) using a drive power cable (the large connectors). The other large connector is there to allow you to still use the drive connector with a drive (HDD or DVD/CD rom).
You plug the drive connector in one of the drive connectors from the PSU, then you can plug a case fan in the small connector AND also use the remaining drive connector for one of your drives. By connecting the fan to this, you might lose the ability to modulate that fan's speed via the mobo. If it is a case fan, that is not really needed.

Solution