Dismantling a computer

saucepaws

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
i was just wondering is there any danger/compatibility issues i should be aware of for taking apart a computer?
see i want to take apart my dads computer and put it together before i commit to build my own one to see if i can do it right, but i don't want to do it and then find out that lets say i've to re-install the OS, so is there anything like that that can happen form dismantling it?

much obliged

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Your dad gets mad?

No reason to dismantle it. Read or watch the many materials that walk you thru an install. It's almost totally plug and play.

kjv1611

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
If there's any concern about you possibly breaking something, and then not being able to repair, then you want to avoid taking the old one apart. On the other hand, you will gain some experience from taking apart an old currently working system. So, it will depend upon your particular situation. I got my start, really, from taking apart an old PC that was given to me to tinker with. From then on, I learned quite a bit from taking apart existing computers, repairing, upgrading, etc..

So in other words.. if say your dad does his taxes or other banking/finance on his computer, and he needs it, well, probably best to avoid. But really - ask your dad, since its his. he should know whether he'd be concerned about it or not.

Another note: ESPECIALLY if you're working in a carpeted area... and particularly with it being winter time (if you're in the US).. make sure you're constantly in contact with something metal to discharge any static electricity. Otherwise, you could end up frying one of the components.

It wouldn't hurt watching a quick video on building a PC, or taking apart a desktop PC, etc.. since those are so common now with youtube and such.

saucepaws

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
ya i've got an anti static wrist band and i was waiting for that before i did anything else, but i think i'll take it apart, like you said it'll give me some experience which is a plus, and if i do break it...........well i'll be moving out sooner than i expected

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
one if you take out the cpu and cooler from the motherboard you will need to clean the old thermal paste and reaply new one make shure you dad permit you to dismantle is mobo or he will have a brand new one yours so you will have the fix the old one

Wolfshadw

Titan
Because removing the heat sink/fan assembly will create air pockets in the current layer of thermal paste. When you reseat the heat sink those pockets of air are still there. This can limit the heat transfer from the CPU to the heat sink and cause it to over-heat, shut down, or even burn out.

-Wolf sends