Sign in with
Your question

Random Display Crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2011 12:30:13 AM

For the past week or so i have been having a very strange problem that i was hoping some one would have experience with. After about 10-15 minutes my display would crash and show the message "no signal" no other changes occurred the hdd kept spinning and fans and lights ran as normal. I messed with my RAM a little and this went away. Then it started happening again and after the most recent crash i could not get the computer to even post. I removed the graphics card and ran it on on-board graphics which fixed the problem entirely. However i would like to know if that means that it is caused by my graphics card being bad (which doesn't seem likely as it is only 7 months old) or could be caused by another problem such as too weak a power supply. Any help appreciated. Specs are as follows:

Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard
MSI RADEON R6970 2gb Graphics card
Phenom II x4 965 CPU
7gb RAM (3x2gb + 1x1gb)
Cool Master 500Watt Power Supply

More about : random display crashes

a c 1410 U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 12:50:48 AM

YEP! CM extreme power or real power 500watt is not enough for that card!
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:58:50 AM

That's good to know. I ordered a 680Watt from newegg today do you think that will suffice?
m
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 9:50:24 AM

Well all PSU's are not equal and it depends on quality without knowing which 680 watt it is hard to tell. Theoretically it is fine.
m
l
!