Random Display Crashes

For the past week or so i have been having a very strange problem that i was hoping some one would have experience with. After about 10-15 minutes my display would crash and show the message "no signal" no other changes occurred the hdd kept spinning and fans and lights ran as normal. I messed with my RAM a little and this went away. Then it started happening again and after the most recent crash i could not get the computer to even post. I removed the graphics card and ran it on on-board graphics which fixed the problem entirely. However i would like to know if that means that it is caused by my graphics card being bad (which doesn't seem likely as it is only 7 months old) or could be caused by another problem such as too weak a power supply. Any help appreciated. Specs are as follows:

Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard
MSI RADEON R6970 2gb Graphics card
Phenom II x4 965 CPU
7gb RAM (3x2gb + 1x1gb)
Cool Master 500Watt Power Supply
3 answers Last reply
More about random display crashes
  1. YEP! CM extreme power or real power 500watt is not enough for that card!
  2. That's good to know. I ordered a 680Watt from newegg today do you think that will suffice?
  3. Well all PSU's are not equal and it depends on quality without knowing which 680 watt it is hard to tell. Theoretically it is fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Displays