First off, here is my system:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA775 mobo
Intel Q8200 CPU
Gigabyte GTX560Ti GPU
Corsair 8gigs of RAM
Corsair liquid cpu cooler
corsair 650W PSU
Hitachi 1.5TB HD

My issue is with the CPU. I have read numerous times that it is not easy to OC, and as it stands, it creates a bottleneck with the GPU when playing games. (I don't play much, but it is still annoying). So the two alternatives are to update the CPU to a Q9450 or higher, which are fairly easy to OC. Or to update the sytem to a 3570k processor. If I go with a Q9xxx, it will cost me over 200, but closer to 350 if I want a better one. The 3570k is about 230, and if I could sell the other components, I could keep the cost down. What is the better route? The new mobos have some really nice features that I wouldn't mind, but don't really need right now.
If anybody has a good suggestion to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

amrcnfirestorm

Honorable
May 15, 2012
If you got the "better one" that works with your current mobo, you would spend just about as much as it would cost to get the 3570k; which would thrash the alternative.

I would get (of course I would.. it's what I just bought [check my sig]) the 3570k and something like the mobo I have. AsRock Extreme 4 Z77 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293), really cheap but powerful and reliable board.
It's a little more expensive than your "expensive" choice, but it would keep you way ahead of the game for years to come.

Oh, and my 3570k is at 4.5ghz. Almost twice the speed you'll be buying with another chip (more efficient, too).

No way that motherboard is perfect and depending on the power supply and CPU revision I would OC

My motherboard although a slightly newer revision was able to take 475 FSB

SO OC that CPU as far as you can. If you can get it to 7x430 that puts you over 3GHZ and the games will like that alot and boots your frames by a bunch and is basicly free
worst comes to worst you can get to 2.8 ghz untill you get money for a new cpu and motherboard C2Q isn't quite dead just on it's way out. I'm holding onto mine untill next year ivy was not all it was cracked up to be

The 3570K is as good as it gets for gaming, and is easy to give it a conservative OC. I can't imagine a chip that is several generations obsolete coming anywhere close.
If a good upgrade to a Q9xx will cost you $350, it seems to me to be a no brainer to go to a 3570K.
$350 will buy you a 3750K and a motherboard. Less if you are near a microcenter.
Yes, you need DDR3 ram, and 8gb will cost you $40 or so.
But, you can market your old parts to defray the cost.

q8200's are a pain to OC, i had one and swapped for a Q6600. Problem with q8200's is the low multiplier, means running rediculous FSB speeds to overclock it. I struggled with getting it anywhere over 2.9 ghz stable. I wouldnt bother with a q9450, its not that much better and not worth it unless your getting it for less than $120. Id suggest a core i3 2120 or even an i5 2320. Theyre cheap and great for gaming and will push your 560ti just fine without any bottleneck. Pair it with a cheaper asrock board z68 runout model board and your set and have some $$ left to buy beer with.

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have listed the whole sheband for sale on Ebay before, but no takers. Now I have listed the Cpu separate, and I might have a buyer. What gives? That is the weakest link in my system! Lol! If the other things don't sell, I will have to go with a Q9xxx. Considering some OC, which one would be a cost effective option? I don't need some extravagant machine, just something that can keep up with today and perhaps tomorrow. Thank you all for your help.

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
As someone has mentioned, if I can sell my parts, I would definitely upgrage to the 3750k. But I have listed my parts and there are no takers. So now I put up the CPU for sale, and perhaps that might go. So what would be the best and cost effective replacement for my current CPU? I have read some good and some bad reviews on OC-ing all of the Q9xxx processors. I don't want a pc that can outdo today's tech, but with a little oc-ing, make my life easier. Thank you all for your inputs. BTW, this post got posted twice, sorry.

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Well, it looks like I might just go with a q9xxx. Which one, keeping price in mind, would you recommend? Would a 9550 be sufficient, and maybe OC that?

Good move on listing your parts separately.
One who buys on e-bay is usually looking for a single part.
DDR2 ram may also be good to list. It is costly new.

Cost effective is tough one.
Keeping your current pc is cost effective. Your cost is zero, and it is somewhat effective.

But, you want to do better.
Best to pick a budget for now, and pick the best parts for that budget.

Budget $40 for 8gb(2 x 4gb) of ram regardless.

A P67, Z68, or Z77 motherboard is not that expensive.
$100 will buy you something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135279
The reason for one of these chipsets is so you can oc a "K" chip.
A 2500K will cost you about $220:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

If that budget is too high, look at the dual core(with hyperthreading) i3-2120 for $125:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077
since it does not OC, at least not much, you can buy a cheaper motherboard like this for $55:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157315
Do not be put off by the dual core. Few games use more than two cores, and the instruction rate of the 2120 is impressive for gaming.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859.html

If you live near a microcenter, checkout their prices for walk in customers. Unbeatable.

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thank you all for all your inputs. I really appreciate it. Ultimately I think I will go with a Q9550. I think that would give me a nice performance gain, and down the line I can OC it when I am ready. (will definitely need help with that!) I will be ordering it sometime this week, and I will post my experience with it.

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks for your recommendations. I was wondering about a xeon processor, perhaps the x3360? That is the equivalent of the q9550, yet are cheaper. Would that be a good alternative?
Btw, I sold the q8200 on ebay, and got a reasonable sum for it. If there is a taker for the mobo with the ram within the next few days, then I will have to go with a new setup. (I wouldn't mind!)

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I really appreciate everybody's input on my issue. Once my CPU sold, I had to make an executive decision, and decide which route to go with. While the 775 socket was more cost effective at the moment, going with something up-to-date ensures that I can upgrade and oc to my heart's content when time permits. So I purchased a Gigabyte z77x-ud3h mobo, intel 3750k, and corsair vengeance 16gb of ram. I just finished setting it up, and wow! What a difference already! Definitely love the improvement. Thank you all for all your help. I will have other questions soon!