Windows Security Centre or McAfee Security Centre (post-SP2)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

After SP2 upgrade, MSC (McAfee Security Centre) popped up and advised that
WSC (Windows Security Centre) be disabled so as not to conflict with MSC.
Makes sense to run only one of them. All the info from McAfee makes it clear
that (in their opinion) MSC is better than WSC. Is it? I mean, they're
biased in favour of their own product. I would suppose that MS would say the
opposite.

MSC only runs McAfee AV and I have no interest in purchasing the other
software they keep advising me to get (Firewall, Antispam, Privacy), not
when these things are available for free/lower cost. WSC includes AV and
Personal Firewall. Is the MS AV or PF any good?

At the moment I've left things as they were -- McAfee for Anti-Virus,
Windows for Firewall and Automatic Updates -- but I'd like to settle on one
only and be done with it. Any opinions?
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows security centre mcafee security centre post
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Windows firewall is not worth it. www.zonelabs.com has a free version of
    ZoneAlarm - much better.

    Personally, I turned off Automatic Updates; I would rather check things
    myself.

    I'm also using McAfee virus scan only.

    "Peter D" <please@.sk> wrote in message
    > After SP2 upgrade, MSC (McAfee Security Centre) popped up and advised that
    > WSC (Windows Security Centre) be disabled so as not to conflict with MSC.
    > Makes sense to run only one of them. All the info from McAfee makes it
    > clear
    > that (in their opinion) MSC is better than WSC. Is it? I mean, they're
    > biased in favour of their own product. I would suppose that MS would say
    > the
    > opposite.
    >
    > MSC only runs McAfee AV and I have no interest in purchasing the other
    > software they keep advising me to get (Firewall, Antispam, Privacy), not
    > when these things are available for free/lower cost. WSC includes AV and
    > Personal Firewall. Is the MS AV or PF any good?
    >
    > At the moment I've left things as they were -- McAfee for Anti-Virus,
    > Windows for Firewall and Automatic Updates -- but I'd like to settle on
    > one
    > only and be done with it. Any opinions?
    > Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Peter,

    Please be advised that the Windows Security Center is only a control centre where you can check the status of your AV
    program and the firewall. The WSC does NOT contain any AV software. You will have to purchase and install a separate AV
    program (like the one that you have right now). Though Windows has a built-in firewall called Windows Firewall, which is
    good enough for a average-home user.

    More info about the Windows Security Centre:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wscintro.mspx

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Peter D" <please@.sk> wrote in message news:%O%4d.511044$gE.501117@pd7tw3no...
    > After SP2 upgrade, MSC (McAfee Security Centre) popped up and advised that
    > WSC (Windows Security Centre) be disabled so as not to conflict with MSC.
    > Makes sense to run only one of them. All the info from McAfee makes it clear
    > that (in their opinion) MSC is better than WSC. Is it? I mean, they're
    > biased in favour of their own product. I would suppose that MS would say the
    > opposite.
    >
    > MSC only runs McAfee AV and I have no interest in purchasing the other
    > software they keep advising me to get (Firewall, Antispam, Privacy), not
    > when these things are available for free/lower cost. WSC includes AV and
    > Personal Firewall. Is the MS AV or PF any good?
    >
    > At the moment I've left things as they were -- McAfee for Anti-Virus,
    > Windows for Firewall and Automatic Updates -- but I'd like to settle on one
    > only and be done with it. Any opinions?
    > Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Peter D" wrote:

    > After SP2 upgrade, MSC (McAfee Security Centre) popped up and advised that
    > WSC (Windows Security Centre) be disabled so as not to conflict with MSC.
    > Makes sense to run only one of them. All the info from McAfee makes it clear
    > that (in their opinion) MSC is better than WSC. Is it? I mean, they're
    > biased in favour of their own product. I would suppose that MS would say the
    > opposite.
    >
    > MSC only runs McAfee AV and I have no interest in purchasing the other
    > software they keep advising me to get (Firewall, Antispam, Privacy), not
    > when these things are available for free/lower cost. WSC includes AV and
    > Personal Firewall. Is the MS AV or PF any good?
    >
    > At the moment I've left things as they were -- McAfee for Anti-Virus,
    > Windows for Firewall and Automatic Updates -- but I'd like to settle on one
    > only and be done with it. Any opinions?
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Go to norton its better
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I've used McAfee for years. All applications have their ups and downs but
    McAfee by and large is reliable. Yes allow McAfee to control Security
    Center, it works better that way.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Peter D" wrote:
    >
    >> After SP2 upgrade, MSC (McAfee Security Centre) popped up and advised
    >> that
    >> WSC (Windows Security Centre) be disabled so as not to conflict with MSC.
    >> Makes sense to run only one of them. All the info from McAfee makes it
    >> clear
    >> that (in their opinion) MSC is better than WSC. Is it? I mean, they're
    >> biased in favour of their own product. I would suppose that MS would say
    >> the
    >> opposite.
    >>
    >> MSC only runs McAfee AV and I have no interest in purchasing the other
    >> software they keep advising me to get (Firewall, Antispam, Privacy), not
    >> when these things are available for free/lower cost. WSC includes AV and
    >> Personal Firewall. Is the MS AV or PF any good?
    >>
    >> At the moment I've left things as they were -- McAfee for Anti-Virus,
    >> Windows for Firewall and Automatic Updates -- but I'd like to settle on
    >> one
    >> only and be done with it. Any opinions?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >> Go to norton its better

Configuration McAfee Windows Security Microsoft Windows XP