Sign in with
Your question

Displaying 1920+x1080+ on a 720p TV/Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2011 12:59:24 AM

I couldn't find an answer to this question any where, or just didn't know what to search for so I decided to ask all the geniuses here. ;) 

So, when you're playing some type of game on a computer or doing anything that allows you to change the resolution within some type of settings, is there some sort of cutoff resolution where, if you go any higher, it makes no difference on a 720p TV. Example: say I'm playing BF3 1280 x 720 (I have no idea if thats a legit setting but stay with me) on my 32" 720p TV connected via HDMI. If I change the resolution within the game to anything higher, e.g. 1920x1080 will I notice any change in quality in the game being displayed on my TV? (once again, I'm not sure if 1920x1080 is a real setting). In my mind, the logical reasoning is, well, since the TV can't display anything better/bigger than 720, then no, changing to a higher resolution in the game will have no effect on the quality. However, I don't think that's correct. If anyone has any insight to this matter that would be very useful!

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 1:33:57 AM

Descriptions like 720p or 1080p essentially describe the resolution of the TV (along with whether the picture is interlaced). If you're tv can only output at 720 then thats its resolution. This would be the same as trying to play battlefield at 1920x1080 on a 1280x720 monitor (not possible).
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:58:36 AM

jsrudd is right. Your resolution you're currently playing at is the maximum resolution the display supports. If you try to go higher(which it probably won't even be an option) you would get a message like "No input" on the monitor.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 16, 2011 12:14:17 AM

emlarsen2 said:
I couldn't find an answer to this question any where, or just didn't know what to search for so I decided to ask all the geniuses here. ;) 

So, when you're playing some type of game on a computer or doing anything that allows you to change the resolution within some type of settings, is there some sort of cutoff resolution where, if you go any higher, it makes no difference on a 720p TV. Example: say I'm playing BF3 1280 x 720 (I have no idea if thats a legit setting but stay with me) on my 32" 720p TV connected via HDMI. If I change the resolution within the game to anything higher, e.g. 1920x1080 will I notice any change in quality in the game being displayed on my TV? (once again, I'm not sure if 1920x1080 is a real setting). In my mind, the logical reasoning is, well, since the TV can't display anything better/bigger than 720, then no, changing to a higher resolution in the game will have no effect on the quality. However, I don't think that's correct. If anyone has any insight to this matter that would be very useful!

Thanks

My two cents worth. I have a 32" tv at 720 my direct TV box lets me choose which resolution I want. There are 4 choices but I am listing the two 720 or 1080 When I slect the 1080 It does nothing to how the Picture looks. The resolution is 720 no matter what unless I make it smaller like 700.
m
l
!