Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Issues with motherboard and cooler

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2012 12:38:45 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post, if it isn't forgive me.

Parts to be addressed:
-Asus P8Z68 V/PRO mobo
-Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced case
-Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cpu cooler
-Intel i5 2500k CPU

I'm currently working on my first build and I've run into a little bit of trouble. You see I had to kind of force my motherboard with a bit of pressure to stay over the standoff holes in order to screw them in. I manage to get it in. Do you think there's something wrong with the mobo? Could it be warped?

Additionally, I opened the others side of my case and noticed that my cpu cooler's backplate was not fully through the hole and about 1/3 of it was touching the chassis. I'm no great judge but I think it was pressed against it somewhat. Will this be a problem? Aside from replacing the cooler, is there anything that I can do about it? If not, can anyone give me some decent alternatives that wouldn't require a backplate?

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 12:44:24 PM

just turn it on and see what happens "IF" you think you got ut on and good...
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 12:49:59 PM

A bit of pressure to fix your mobo in place should be normal, but pay attention to the cooler installation.

Hyper 212 Plus Installation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 12:50:10 PM

Sounds like the case you have might not be built to the correct specs. The mobo tray does not fit the mobo properly. If the mobo is warped, I would be concerned about proper expansion card insertion/contact.
The heatsinks come with a backplate for a reason: they're heavy, and this way they unload the weight from the CPU socket to the mobo's 4 additional points. That distributed the weight evenly. If you managed to screw the backplate correctly to the heatsink, then I would not worry about it. The backplate should be electrically insulated from the mobo (the holes are not part of any electrical circuit), so it touching the frame/chassis is not a problem.
February 13, 2012 4:20:18 PM

No issues should be fine.
Score
February 13, 2012 4:51:33 PM

Thanks guys. I feel a bit better now. I just have to pray I did everything else right(my first build).
Was I correct to take the white thing off the border of the mobo tray?
In regards to the backplate being insulated, will the fact that the insulation tape is peeling on the other side of the plate. Do I need to worry there? If the tape were to come off and I found myself needing that side, what could I use as a replacement?
I still have to do installs on the other drives and expansion cards as I've only put in the RAM(needed force but its in fine). Additionally, can anyone recommend a way to go about installing the cables?

This experience has been stressful but not that I have the motherboard in I feel relieved and proud. I will be sure to post my results once I have everything up and running.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 5:39:19 PM

dercdell1 said:
Thanks guys. I feel a bit better now. I just have to pray I did everything else right(my first build).
Was I correct to take the white thing off the border of the mobo tray?
In regards to the backplate being insulated, will the fact that the insulation tape is peeling on the other side of the plate. Do I need to worry there? If the tape were to come off and I found myself needing that side, what could I use as a replacement?
I still have to do installs on the other drives and expansion cards as I've only put in the RAM(needed force but its in fine). Additionally, can anyone recommend a way to go about installing the cables?

This experience has been stressful but not that I have the motherboard in I feel relieved and proud. I will be sure to post my results once I have everything up and running.

Any electrical tape will do.
Cables: some people rout them on the backside of the mobo tray. If not long enough to do that, just go straight from point A to point B. You can use some plastic ties to make it look better.
Score
February 15, 2012 12:28:35 PM

Best answer selected by dercdell1.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2012 1:59:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!